Can mature students do standard entry medicine?

Watch
Lafaith
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m Canadian and did awfully in Canada. I’m now 22 and taking gcses. I have 5 A’s so far, and am doing another 4 now. I’m confused as whether I need 2 full years for 3 A levels (full time) 2 years is totally fine but I’m not sure how many A levels standard students take.

Also, being mature and taking my gcses and A levels by myself (no college, only self studying and privately booking my exams). Can I still do standard entry medicine or am I held to possibly different entry requirements?
Blackrose06
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lafaith)
I’m Canadian and did awfully in Canada. I’m now 22 and taking gcses. I have 5 A’s so far, and am doing another 4 now. I’m confused as whether I need 2 full years for 3 A levels (full time) 2 years is totally fine but I’m not sure how many A levels standard students take.

Also, being mature and taking my gcses and A levels by myself (no college, only self studying and privately booking my exams). Can I still do standard entry medicine or am I held to possibly different entry requirements?
most students take 3 a-levels, and as for entry requirements i have no idea, i haven't even finished my gcse's yet. going into yr 10 in september
TheHumerusMedic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can do standard entry medicine.

If you did a degree already you are considered a graduate and your A-Level requirements will be lower and won't need any GCSE requirements (as far as I know, I think they expect a certain level of english and maths, but you can show that through your canadian qualifications)

If not then you have to meet the standard A-Level requirements.

Also there are entrance exams, the UCAT and BMAT, depending on where you are applying.

I joined medical school last year at 23, so I know the feeling of being a bit older.
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We’ve spoken before haven’t we? Yes, you can absolutely do standard entry medicine. I have said it before but do consider doing access to medicine. It will cut your time literally in half and it will be a lot cheaper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads