Dynamic echo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys i am going to go in Y9 this September and i just wanted to know if there is any advice i could use for my GCSE's and maybe which subjects are better to take than others.
Blackrose06
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i did business, citizenship studies, triple science, gcse pe and sociology. business is a good option as it is interesting and is just good yto have under your belt. triple science is good if you are good at science as it's not harder, you just learn more. sociology and citizenship are ok (i don't like my sociology teacher) as you learn about the world around you in different ways. gcse pe is just gcse pe. alot of memorising tho. (like muscles and components of fitness) i heard media, photography and food tech are fun. i don't know what subjects your school offers but i hope this helps. (i started my courses in year 9 so i am going into yr 10 in september)
Dynamic echo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blackrose06)
i did business, citizenship studies, triple science, gcse pe and sociology. business is a good option as it is interesting and is just good yto have under your belt. triple science is good if you are good at science as it's not harder, you just learn more. sociology and citizenship are ok (i don't like my sociology teacher) as you learn about the world around you in different ways. gcse pe is just gcse pe. alot of memorising tho. (like muscles and components of fitness) i heard media, photography and food tech are fun. i don't know what subjects your school offers but i hope this helps. (i started my courses in year 9 so i am going into yr 10 in september)
I am defo doing business as it's a good thing to have under your belt as you said, i am good at maths so i am probably going to do physics and chemistry and maybe biology as well as i'm pretty good at science and find it fun. In my school we have to do RE so i guess that is just an extra subject i have to deal with. I want to do Computer Science as i really like coding and programming ( i will be super annoyed if we can't do it this year if nobody picks it . I am maybe going to do Food DT as i really like cooking and maybe history or ICT
Blackrose06
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dynamic echo)
I am defo doing business as it's a good thing to have under your belt as you said, i am good at maths so i am probably going to do physics and chemistry and maybe biology as well as i'm pretty good at science and find it fun. In my school we have to do RE so i guess that is just an extra subject i have to deal with. I want to do Computer Science as i really like coding and programming ( i will be super annoyed if we can't do it this year if nobody picks it . I am maybe going to do Food DT as i really like cooking and maybe history or ICT
in my school theres a thing about IT Computer science is NOT like KS3 and it is really hard. but i guess if you like it go for it! and RE sucks, i feel bad for u
Dynamic echo
Rep:
?
so what would you suggest i switch with IT . Is it something you were going to take or something you took and you never regretted it. In total i am probably going to be taking 9 / 10 subjects.
pxrx_dx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Food has theory involved so be wary of that.
History is an essay based subject that requires a lot of memorisation.

I don't think you can choose which sciences to do.
You either do combined or triple. They're both essentially the same thing but doe combined you only get 2 grades in the sciences you get the best grades in and for triple, you get all three grades (your bio, chem and physics grade).
Combined also has less content than triple for all three sciences but they aren't that different.
Blackrose06
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pxrx_dx)
Food has theory involved so be wary of that.
History is an essay based subject that requires a lot of memorisation.

I don't think you can choose which sciences to do.
You either do combined or triple. They're both essentially the same thing but doe combined you only get 2 grades in the sciences you get the best grades in and for triple, you get all three grades (your bio, chem and physics grade).
Combined also has less content than triple for all three sciences but they aren't that different.
i do triple and there are extra practicles you have to do but overall it isn't that bad. you miss out on an extra option though
Dynamic echo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blackrose06)
i do triple and there are extra practicles you have to do but overall it isn't that bad. you miss out on an extra option though
extra option?
pxrx_dx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
extra option?
I had to pick four options and triple science was one of them. So it essentially takes up an option.
Dynamic echo
Rep:
?
oh right
Blackrose06
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ok so we have 5 option blocks: A,B,C,D,E
in each option block you get 5 options to chose from
my block c looked like Triple Science
Triple Science
Triple Science
Triple Science
Triple Science
so i could only pic triple science. whereas one of my friends pick 5 different subjects but does combined, i got 4 and triple.
Dynamic echo
Rep:
?
seesh did you want to pick it or were you basically influenced to
Blackrose06
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i didn't mind tbh but i was kind of forced to. but i don't regret it because i have 4 of my friends in my class and we all sit on the same table in physics. but i could have called the school and asked not to do it. also there are only 18 of us in my class and the other 2 triple classes have like 30 so it is quite a nice class.
Dynamic echo
Rep:
?
Quick question: i just wanted to know when did you properly start revising for GCSE's like were you an early bird (y9) or like everyone else (y10)
Dynamic echo
Rep:
?
and also another one if you can people say chemistry and physics are like maths in the way that it is problem solving instead of memorising. how hard is it to memorise all of the GCSE biology content and if you don't mind telling me how you revised that would help as well.
Blackrose06
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well i am only just going into yr 10 in september but did start revising last may as we had end of years which were in the hall like acctual gcse's wich was stressful. but just some advise. MAKE REVISION CARDS. i mean every day afterschool, make revision cards for all the lessons you had that day. saves you time in yr 11 at actual revision before exams
pxrx_dx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Quick question: i just wanted to know when did you properly start revising for GCSE's like were you an early bird (y9) or like everyone else (y10)
I started revising in year 11 and for my mocks, I did last minute revision for everything. And I got very good grades.
I wouldn't recommend last minute revision but I had made good notes and was actively doing past papers which helped. My notes which I made for progress checks and end of unit tests all accumulated to create great revision material.
Properly start revising once you're done learning content and make notes/ flashcards as you go through the topics.
Dynamic echo
Rep:
?
btw i feel like i owe you guys something for all of this advice. If you ever feel like you don't want to make physical flashcards. You can use this thing called ANKI which is basically this online flash card maker which has an app and stuff. You can make flash cards on it and you can categorise them all into all of their different subjects like bio chem ect and it also uses science based techniques to see when it should ask you a flashcard question based on whether you said that flash card question was easy good or hard. I recommend it to you and best of all it's free use this link https://apps.ankiweb.net/
pxrx_dx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
and also another one if you can people say chemistry and physics are like maths in the way that it is problem solving instead of memorising. how hard is it to memorise all of the GCSE biology content and if you don't mind telling me how you revised that would help as well.
I made notes and really tried to grasp concepts. Try to make links and simplify things if it's hard to remember.
For me, biology was a lot of notes and really just active recall.
Diagrams and tables and mind maps all helped too.
Also, do exam questions to test your memory. Especially for biology, doing exam questions will help you recall the information that you have learnt.
pxrx_dx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
btw i feel like i owe you guys something for all of this advice. If you ever feel like you don't want to make physical flashcards. You can use this thing called ANKI which is basically this online flash card maker which has an app and stuff. You can make flash cards on it and you can categorise them all into all of their different subjects like bio chem ect and it also uses science based techniques to see when it should ask you a flashcard question based on whether you said that flash card question was easy good or hard. I recommend it to you and best of all it's free use this link https://apps.ankiweb.net/
Lol you sound like you're being sponsored.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
19.05%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.52%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
19.05%

Watched Threads