I dont get any gut feeling. why?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
whenever I have to take any decision, I dont ever have any sort of gut feelings or like common sense instincts and stuff, and i dont understand why. Am i just unable to identify them or is that not a thing?

I dont even know what a gut feeling is supposed to feel like lol.
username5809044
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
whenever I have to take any decision, I dont ever have any sort of gut feelings or like common sense instincts and stuff, and i dont understand why. Am i just unable to identify them or is that not a thing?

I dont even know what a gut feeling is supposed to feel like lol.
Maybe ur decisions rent big deal ,they re just small normal stuff that no need to feel proud abt it
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Alexis55)
Maybe ur decisions rent big deal ,they re just small normal stuff that no need to feel proud abt it
No, im talking about even like on matters/decisions that are very important or like even in general. i dont ever get a feel of what i should do.
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe you're a more rational thinker and work things out in your head before a decision rather than instincts or gut feelings. It's fine, everybody is different
username5809044
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, im talking about even like on matters/decisions that are very important or like even in general. i dont ever get a feel of what i should do.
Do u have friends or s1 around u and cheer u up when u make sth different ,,maybe u re lack of support
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
Maybe you're a more rational thinker and work things out in your head before a decision rather than instincts or gut feelings. It's fine, everybody is different
yeah but its just that so many times, i dont feel satisfied by that decision. so Im thinking maybe im doing something wrong and should listen to whatever that gut instinct is, but i can never feel it lol.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your gut is home to trillions of bacteria and other organisms. Trust your gut.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Your gut is home to trillions of bacteria and other organisms. Trust your gut.
yeah but the whole thing is that my gut doesnt talk to me, so who am I going to trust?
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah but the whole thing is that my gut doesnt talk to me, so who am I going to trust?
It talks to you all the time actually. Many of your decisions are influenced by your gut. Plays a huge role in your life and your conscious and unconscious behaviour. Trust your gut and also be kind to your gut and it will be kind to you!
Anonymous #1
It talks to you all the time actually. Many of your decisions are influenced by your gut. Plays a huge role in your life and your conscious and unconscious behaviour. Trust your gut and also be kind to your gut and it will be kind to you!
so how do you figure out whats it saying?
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so how do you figure out whats it saying?
Mainly it's conveyed via how you are feeling and how your body is feeling. I.e. if you're anxious, nervous, excited, depressed, etc. so every now and then just take a step back, figure out how you're feeling, prepare to make a decision based on those feelings but don't commit yet - first compare it the decision you would have made anyway, and then go for the one you feel is right for you.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Kabzzzy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well it's not quite as literal as your gut speaking to you. The idea is that your brain uses both logical reasoning and emotions in decision making. There is a gut-brain connection, in which there will be neurotransmitters that deal with emotion, so that's where the name comes from. But the brain isn't that simple. The emotions part will most likely be your intuition. You could argue that everyone has intuition to a certain extent, but that doesn't mean that everyone will use it or even pay attention to it.

Some people just happen to be a lot more logically minded and would perhaps override making decisions based around emotions. I've not learned too much about the different structures of the brain yet, but there are a lot of books out there that describe the connections and how they affect our thought-processes in different ways.

You're not broken!
Anonymous #1
Mainly it's conveyed via how you are feeling and how your body is feeling. I.e. if you're anxious, nervous, excited, depressed, etc. so every now and then just take a step back, figure out how you're feeling, prepare to make a decision based on those feelings but don't commit yet - first compare it the decision you would have made anyway, and then go for the one you feel is right for you.
oh, ok so do the negative feelings, like being anxious over a decisions mean that your gut is saying you to not do that thing? or is anxiety an indicator of doing that thing?
and how do you compare if like the thing you feel is not just you wanting to take illogical steps that arent actually good, cuz dont most ppl say that their guts always tell them what the right thing to do is or something
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kabzzzy)
Well it's not quite as literal as your gut speaking to you. The idea is that your brain uses both logical reasoning and emotions in decision making. There is a gut-brain connection, in which there will be neurotransmitters that deal with emotion, so that's where the name comes from. But the brain isn't that simple. The emotions part will most likely be your intuition. You could argue that everyone has intuition to a certain extent, but that doesn't mean that everyone will use it or even pay attention to it.

Some people just happen to be a lot more logically minded and would perhaps override making decisions based around emotions. I've not learned too much about the different structures of the brain yet, but there are a lot of books out there that describe the connections and how they affect our thought-processes in different ways.

You're not broken!
ah okay, its just cuz most ppl say they had a gut feeling and when they acted on it, it always gave them a good result. but i havent ever gotten that and was under the impression that taking decisions based on emotions is not that good
Kabzzzy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ah okay, its just cuz most ppl say they had a gut feeling and when they acted on it, it always gave them a good result. but i havent ever gotten that and was under the impression that taking decisions based on emotions is not that good
Yeah, and I'll admit it is often good to go with your gut. But I don't think you get that feeling solely from emotions. There are so many outcomes from past experiences that will resonate in our brains and take part in our decision making.

Take a simple example. You meet someone, you're texting all the time and it feels great. You have your first date, all great. Suddenly they're no longer texting you as much and are barely interested. Some will say that their gut was telling them that the change in pace and nature of conversation meant that they probably aren't compatible so they're no longer going to pursue that person. In the same way, some would just analyse the differences from before and after the date and come to a logical conclusion that clearly things have not gone well and this could be a waste of time.

You're not hindered because you might not be very intuitive.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oh, ok so do the negative feelings, like being anxious over a decisions mean that your gut is saying you to not do that thing? or is anxiety an indicator of doing that thing?
and how do you compare if like the thing you feel is not just you wanting to take illogical steps that arent actually good, cuz dont most ppl say that their guts always tell them what the right thing to do is or something
This is where it gets tricky and is difficult to explain. It's even more complicated when things like your diet and medications are involved. This can significantly influence the interaction between your gut and your brain. The science behind gut bacteria and interactions with the brain still isn't fully understood yet either. When I say there's trillions of organisms in your gut, I mean that quite literally. And it's not entirely the same for all people either.

Do you have an example of a situation where you were anxious over a decision but couldn't quite explain it?
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Yeah, and I'll admit it is often good to go with your gut. But I don't think you get that feeling solely from emotions. There are so many outcomes from past experiences that will resonate in our brains and take part in our decision making.

Take a simple example. You meet someone, you're texting all the time and it feels great. You have your first date, all great. Suddenly they're no longer texting you as much and are barely interested. Some will say that their gut was telling them that the change in pace and nature of conversation meant that they probably aren't compatible so they're no longer going to pursue that person. In the same way, some would just analyse the differences from before and after the date and come to a logical conclusion that clearly things have not gone well and this could be a waste of time.

You're not hindered because you might not be very intuitive.
but i would say in that situation, that maybe the other person is just busy and hasnt found the time to text back you know, so i would probably keep up with the convo and relationship at this point. because i dont really get the feeling, and even if i do, i dont know what it means.

ah, am i not? idk sometimes i feel like i might have made better decisions if i could figure out what the heck my gut feeling means
Kabzzzy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
but i would say in that situation, that maybe the other person is just busy and hasnt found the time to text back you know, so i would probably keep up with the convo and relationship at this point. because i dont really get the feeling, and even if i do, i dont know what it means.

ah, am i not? idk sometimes i feel like i might have made better decisions if i could figure out what the heck my gut feeling means
But one could flip that scenario around and say if that was the case, the intuitive one missed out because they didn't consider that factor. Having a gut feeling doesn't mean you're always right either.
Anonymous #1
This is where it gets tricky and is difficult to explain. It's even more complicated when things like your diet and medications are involved. This can significantly influence the interaction between your gut and your brain. The science behind gut bacteria and interactions with the brain still isn't fully understood yet either. When I say there's trillions of organisms in your gut, I mean that quite literally. And it's not entirely the same for all people either.

Do you have an example of a situation where you were anxious over a decision but couldn't quite explain it?
idk but for example, there was a job application thing where i did not like the vibe of the team at all, and was anxious, but i still went through it and at the end, it didnt go well. now idk if that anxiety meant tht i should have just not like applied into it, or if the whole process made me like grow asnd gave me experience, that sorta thing?

but, for the most part, i personally know why i have those feelings, i just dont know what they mean, and whether i should act on them. like i knew i was anxious cuz i dont like meeting strangers too much, but i didnt know if that was my gut feeling telling me go for it, or stop and avoid
Anonymous #1
But one could flip that scenario around and say if that was the case, the intuitive one missed out because they didn't consider that factor. Having a gut feeling doesn't mean you're always right either.
yes but now the difference is on which decision had the best outcome, so if at the end, the relationship isnt good after all, that meant that i had to pay attention to the gut feelings or whatever, instead of just what i did.

like from my experience, there are plenty of times where i regretted making those decisions, so im just wondering if its because i cant figure out what my gut feelings r and if i should follow them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
18.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
10.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (13)
35.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads