The Student Room Group

Received an offer from UCL Computer Science MSC and don’t know if i want it anymore

Turning to tsr because i’m honestly so confused about what to do.

I graduated in 2019 and took a job in marketing whilst i applied for a Computer Science conversion Msc. I got an offer that year from Birmingham but not UCL which i preferred the course way more due to their interaction design modules, so i decided to apply again the next year instead of going to birmingham. So i applied again, and I just received the offer from UCL that i was hoping for and suddenly realised i don’t think i want it.

I’m just confused bc up until this point of getting the offer I was dead set on it but now I’m at a place where I don’t see myself studying for another year knowing it will be so difficult for me, and knowing there are other careers I have interest in pursuing such as UX, but that path is also uncertain/difficult.

I need to decide whether to hand in my notice at work or decline the offer but i’m scared to decline it when i was so sure up to this point and maybe its just anxiety. Help meeeeeeee
(edited 2 years ago)
Accept it if your future depends on it. Not everyone is lucky enough to have unis accept one quickly.
Reply 2
Original post by SlaveofAll
Accept it if your future depends on it. Not everyone is lucky enough to have unis accept one quickly.

But i’m someone who really struggles to study due to my concentration issues and uni was hell for me because of this, I didn't have any time to live life outside of the library and a masters will be even worse.

Idk it seems wrong to give up a year of my life and over £20k for something i feel so uncertain about : (
Original post by annam298
But i’m someone who really struggles to study due to my concentration issues and uni was hell for me because of this, I didn't have any time to live life outside of the library and a masters will be even worse.

Idk it seems wrong to give up a year of my life and over £20k for something i feel so uncertain about : (

A temporary rest or break should clear your mind about it.
Turning to tsr because i’m honestly so confused about what to do.

I graduated in 2019 and took a job in marketing whilst i applied for a Computer Science Msc. I got an offer that year from Birmingham but not UCL which i preferred the course way more due to their interaction design modules, so i decided to apply again the next year instead of going to birmingham. So i applied again, and I just received the offer from UCL that i was hoping for and suddenly realised i don’t think i want it.

I’m just confused bc up until this point of getting the offer I was dead set on it but now I’m at a place where I don’t see myself studying for another year knowing it will be so difficult for me, and knowing there are other careers I have interest in pursuing such as UX, but that path is also uncertain/difficult.

I need to decide whether to hand in my notice at work or decline the offer but i’m scared to decline it when i was so sure up to this point and maybe its just anxiety. Help meeeeeeee

If it's a pre-requisite for the career you want to pursue, take up the place now. If it's not a requirement, then start the career without it, and maybe in the future you can apply again. The decline in currency of your current qualifications will be matched by the rise in your professional experience if you time it right. Seems like you need to focus on the career choice though, rather than additional academics.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
If it's a pre-requisite for the career you want to pursue, take up the place now. If it's not a requirement, then start the career without it, and maybe in the future you can apply again. The decline in currency of your current qualifications will be matched by the rise in your professional experience if you time it right. Seems like you need to focus on the career choice though, rather than additional academics.

Sorry i didn’t explain the computer science MSc is a conversion course, so my undergraduate degree is unrelated (biochemistry), but you’re right i do need to focus on career choice - i did/do want to work with computer science, but since applying have thought about other potential career paths that i would also enjoy, and wouldn't take such a huge commitment of doing this masters. The only problem is that I already now have this offer which i need to decide on very soon due to the notice period at my current job
(edited 2 years ago)
I'll be studying the MSc Computer Science course at Birmingham so I can give you my opinion for what it's worth. As others have said, I think it largely depends on your career plans. If you're thinking about Software Engineering/Development then the course is a really good way to get your foot in to the door for companies that require a computer science degree, however many large companies don't have this stipulation. If you're more interested in the UX modules then I'd also recommend MSc Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), which UCL also offers.

I'm sorry to hear you struggled during your undergraduate studies, please don't let this put you off considering further study! If you have a diagnosed condition then you can go to the Universities disability support service. They can offer mentoring services and will provide you with relevant support throughout your studies (such as extra time in exams, extensions for assignments etc.). Since the conversion courses can be quite intensive, its even more important to try maintain some sort of healthy study-life balance.
Original post by takeshis.chateau
I'll be studying the MSc Computer Science course at Birmingham so I can give you my opinion for what it's worth. As others have said, I think it largely depends on your career plans. If you're thinking about Software Engineering/Development then the course is a really good way to get your foot in to the door for companies that require a computer science degree, however many large companies don't have this stipulation. If you're more interested in the UX modules then I'd also recommend MSc Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), which UCL also offers.

I'm sorry to hear you struggled during your undergraduate studies, please don't let this put you off considering further study! If you have a diagnosed condition then you can go to the Universities disability support service. They can offer mentoring services and will provide you with relevant support throughout your studies (such as extra time in exams, extensions for assignments etc.). Since the conversion courses can be quite intensive, its even more important to try maintain some sort of healthy study-life balance.

Yes, I do agree that if @annam298 wants to learn about UX processes then they should apply for an Msc in Human Computer Interaction at UCL, however this course has now closed for ALL applicants this year, (deadline was back in March). It would have to be for the following academic year. But I personally would highly recommend @annam298 take a good year out anyways to help with their anxiety of studying at university.
Reply 8
Original post by SBROOKS88
Yes, I do agree that if @annam298 wants to learn about UX processes then they should apply for an Msc in Human Computer Interaction at UCL, however this course has now closed for ALL applicants this year, (deadline was back in March). It would have to be for the following academic year. But I personally would highly recommend @annam298 take a good year out anyways to help with their anxiety of studying at university.

I couldn’t apply for the HCI masters as i didn’t have the correct undergrad degree for their entry requirements unfortunately
I couldn’t apply for the HCI masters as i didn’t have the correct undergrad degree for their entry requirements unfortunately

I understand, an HCI Masters isn't so easy to get into and highly competitive. However, if you do ever decide to accept your UCL offer this year, you could be onto a potential winner for a career in web development. UX design is usually for people who have a very strong background in design processes, unless what you want to work in is more UX research. Hope this helps :-)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by SBROOKS88
I understand, an HCI Masters isn't so easy to get into and highly competitive. However, if you do ever decide to accept your UCL offer this year, you could be onto a potential winner for a career in web development. UX design is usually for people who have a very strong background in design processes, unless what you want to work in is more UX research. Hope this helps :-)

I’m interested in UX design in particular, would you say its very hard to get into without a design background?
I’m interested in UX design in particular, would you say its very hard to get into without a design background?

Unfortunately yes, it is extremely difficult. You need to not only have a background in design processes and methods (usually from at least a BA) but also incredibly advanced level skills in so many different softwares such as the full Adobe Creative Suite, prototyping skills in Invision, Marvel as well as motion graphics skills in Cinema 4D etc.. There is of course usually the fact that most companies do not hire candidates for this type of job without a design background of some form. There are many different online courses/Bootcamps you could take, such as General Assembly but companies do prefer at least a BA in design or something similar. If design is really and truly what you want to do, then I would consider a career change entirely and do a Masters in design instead, it is extremely difficult but it is possible. I would otherwise highly recommend to get into web development as this can be done with a Computer Science Masters. You could however also, get into Motion Graphics, 3D animation with your scientific background.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest