The Student Room Group

Advice needed

What's the best uni laptop at an affordable price?
Last week I bought a laptop for a friend. He's going to uni in September - probably to study biochemistry.

I bought a Dell Latitude E7470 for £126 off ebay (it was advertised at £145 or best offer, my offer of £140 was accepted and my girlfriend gets 10% cashback from ebay via Complete Savings).

It's not in perfect condition, but it's in good enough condition for my friend to be delighted with it as a tool for helping with his studies. In 12 to 24 months I think it will be due a new battery for £50, but for now you can use it for several hours without charging.

I've put a fresh debloated Windows 10 Pro build on it and installed Libre Office.
It is lightning fast. Like blisteringly amazingly fast. And it has a nice screen (1920 resolution) and nice backlit keyboard, and extemely high quality coated magnesium alloy chassis and lid.

This time a year ago, this model of laptop in this condition was selling for £300. Windows 11 and the end of the Covid lockdown has brought the price of used premium business laptops right down.

The only better deal is getting a laptop for free. Which can be done by contacting the IT departments of large organisations and asking them if you can have one of their old laptops.

If he had been bothered about running Windows 11, I'd have bought him a Dell 7390 for £230 off ebay. But with him having simple IT needs we saved £100 and bought the 7470 instead.

There will be plenty of people out there that think you should pay more than £0 / £140 / £250 on a laptop for general student use. Ignore them. Save your money and get a great used premium business laptop.

The HP 840 and 830 range and Lenovo x1 Carbons and T4x0 range (eg T480, T480s) are also great laptops that you should look for good deals on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending