Attending university remotely despite things going back to in person?

Watch
hydrohomie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm from Manchester but have been going to uni in London for the past two years and don't think I can/want to move down for third year. Not only do I have care responsibilities at home but financially it just isn't very feasible.

I'm planning to contact my lecturers next year to ask for extra help/resources but I was wondering if anyone else has done/is planning to do the same thing?? Anyone have any advice?
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hydrohomie)
I'm from Manchester but have been going to uni in London for the past two years and don't think I can/want to move down for third year. Not only do I have care responsibilities at home but financially it just isn't very feasible.

I'm planning to contact my lecturers next year to ask for extra help/resources but I was wondering if anyone else has done/is planning to do the same thing?? Anyone have any advice?
You need to check the university rules on this, with many stating they are going back to a mix of in person and remote in October, you may find that attendance on site is required if you do a course with labs, practicals or in-person tutorials. What course are you doing ?
hydrohomie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
You need to check the university rules on this, with many stating they are going back to a mix of in person and remote in October, you may find that attendance on site is required if you do a course with labs, practicals or in-person tutorials. What course are you doing ?
I study Digital Media and did email my course convenor at the end of second year who basically couldn't offer much help given the fact that we were still in second (or third i guess) lockdown and no one can really predict how covid will affect our third year. All I was told really was that whilst they will be concentrating on bringing things back to in person lectures, they will at least make sure that there are enough online resources to 'prepare properly'.

I hit a low during lockdown and pretty much stoppped attending all online lectures yet still managed to get decent grades just by following our assignment briefs and online resources. I didn't even watch the recorded lectures either to be honest. I probably should get in contact with uni but I don't even know who I would contact mid summer about this.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I study Digital Media and did email my course convenor at the end of second year who basically couldn't offer much help given the fact that we were still in second (or third i guess) lockdown and no one can really predict how covid will affect our third year. All I was told really was that whilst they will be concentrating on bringing things back to in person lectures, they will at least make sure that there are enough online resources to 'prepare properly'.

I hit a low during lockdown and pretty much stoppped attending all online lectures yet still managed to get decent grades just by following our assignment briefs and online resources. I didn't even watch the recorded lectures either to be honest. I probably should get in contact with uni but I don't even know who I would contact mid summer about this.
Unis aren't schools, academics and admin staff alike all work throughout the summer at the uni. While a lot of them do plan their annual leave during the summer months, there will still be various staff working at any given time and they don't get the whole summer off or anything so chances are you should get a response within a couple weeks if you email your personal tutor or similar. Bear in mind though unis are actually moving towards an extremely busy time of year for the admin staff as they deal with the admissions work around results day and clearing, so if you are emailing admin staff you might find you don't hear back quite so quickly (likewise if any academics you are emailing are involved in admissions).

In terms of whether you can actually do that, it's very hard to say, especially with covid cases rising and the prospect of renewed restrictions looming. A lot could happen between now and the start of the academic year - we might be in full lockdown again by then! It is something you should discuss with your uni - your personal tutor is probably a good starting point although if you've already not had much info from then you might want to cast your net a bit wider (your student union might have some info about that for example). In general though if they're moving towards on-campus teaching and don't normally offer distance learning it's quite possible you'll be expected to attend at least some in-person teaching.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

It's difficult to say. My university for example is allowing people with COVID-related ECs to continue with online provision, but this will be reviewed for each student every 4 weeks, so isn't meant to be a long-term arrangement. This will obviously change if national restrictions change again however.
angelofessence
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did this during the previous lockdown due to my uni pretty much lying to my face about in person teaching promised for the semester. Subsequently completed the second half of my third year remotely from home rather than staying in a prison cell environment in uni halls which almost drove me mad. Although I just about scraped by, I would strongly recommend trying to get some in person teaching if it is viable as in person honestly has more of a motivational impact as opposed to everything entirely being online. That being said if it's only a few hours of contact a week which aren't even guaranteed and you have to be paying extortionate rent prices, then I would say just bite the bullet and make arrangements to do everything online. This also means you can stack up that student finance money for post-graduation like I have, I'm now able to move to another country for a new job like I have always wanted, covid essentially saved my ass in terms of finances!

Anyway back to the point, enquire with your uni about their regulations regarding covid and see what can be done. Keep in mind you will still have the upper hand if they are being difficult and insisting you have to be there. I knew some of my mates at other uni's simply stated their health (both physical and mental) was at risk due to covid despite a promise (usually false) of 'blended' learning. Their uni's tried forcing them to come back but they stood their ground like I did and eventually made concessions to put content online.

In my instance my uni managed accommodation demanded payment after I bailed after first semester due to being lied to and I refused to pay 4k for a room I was not going to use. I simply mentioned the terms 'frustration of contract and solicitors'. They soon backed down and even gave me a partial refund! Point is, you are the one paying here so you do have grounds to fight for what you would like to do. I'm sorry I ranted a little but I hope this helps!
Last edited by angelofessence; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads