dg.0358
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can I do biomedical engineering at uni if I study maths, physics, computer science and further maths at A level ?
englishhopeful98
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what about biology?
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes - just clicking on the first three google results showed only maths and physics being compulsory. I don't know if the lack of biology rules anywhere out, but the ones I clicked on were all good unis so you should be fine.
dg.0358
Rep:
?
(Original post by englishhopeful98)
what about biology?
yea maybe I should've taken bio or chem but i already chose my opts and I start A1 next yr. also, tbh im kind of unsure about whether i can manage doing maths, further maths, physics and bio/chem. I guess I could still change my options before results day but idk🤷*♂️. Thats why i came to tsr for help lol.
dg.0358
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
Yes - just clicking on the first three google results showed only maths and physics being compulsory. I don't know if the lack of biology rules anywhere out, but the ones I clicked on were all good unis so you should be fine.
oh thanks, that's pretty reassuring. Do you think it would be beneficial to switch out comp sci for bio or chem ? I've just heard alot about how heavy those subjects are and i'm unsure whether i'd be able to cope with doing them alongside maths, fm and physics
username5737602
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dg.0358)
yea maybe I should've taken bio or chem but i already chose my opts and I start A1 next yr. also, tbh im kind of unsure about whether i can manage doing maths, further maths, physics and bio/chem. I guess I could still change my options before results day but idk🤷*♂️. Thats why i came to tsr for help lol.
I am going into yr 13 and I did the exact do the exact a levels that you chose so I can give you a bit of advice
dg.0358
Rep:
?
(Original post by tej3141)
I am going into yr 13 and I did the exact do the exact a levels that you chose so I can give you a bit of advice
yea, id be grateful for it please😅. So you did maths, physics, further maths and comp sci ? Is it absurdly difficult or like okay-ish ?
results day is less than a month away and im still conflicted on what a levels to chose lol
username5737602
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yea, id be grateful for it please😅. So you did maths, physics, further maths and comp sci ? Is it absurdly difficult or like okay-ish ?
results day is less than a month away and im still conflicted on what a levels to chose lol
Yh I did those 4 plus an epq.
I'll give an overview of each subject:
Computer science: the content is pretty easy to learn - its pretty similar to gcse stuff. That said, it is the most content heavy subject I do - there's quite a lot to learn. Also, there's coursework for Year 2 where you have to make a game or project. This is very long considering its only worth 20% of your overall grade -ost people do above 100 pages of work plus the program. So computer science is definetly the most time consuming subject. I got an A* in my CS year 12 exam.
Physics: it's got some fairly interesting topics -much more interesting than gcse. The maths needed is very simple: all you need to know is trigometry and how to rearrange equations (plus logarithms for Year 2 stuff). If you're aiming for top grades, you have to have a good very grasp on concepts and be able to apply them to different scenarios. I got an A* in my physics year 12 exam
Maths: defiently my easiest subject. Year 1 maths is quite easy, especially if you did gcse further maths. It's good lots of stuff to do with graphs and very basic algebra plus differentiation/integration and some trig. Year 2 maths is definetly trickiest especially year 2 intergation -but if you do enough practice questions you should be fine. I got an A* In my year 12 exam.
Further maths: my favourite subject by far. If you enjoy maths, you will like this. However if you didn't get a 9 or high 8 in gcse maths, I don't recommend taking - there quite a few people getting low grades in my year. There a 4 different modules you have to do and most people find the work pretty hard. Especially year 2 further maths. But, like maths, all you really need to do to study is constant practice questions from the textbooks. I got an A* in my year 12 exam.
(For context I got all 9's at gcse but, of course, I did not actually take any exams)
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can't actually get a 'real' A* in Year 12 as you haven't covered the content.
dg.0358
Rep:
?
Computer science: the content is pretty easy to learn - its pretty similar to gcse stuff. That said, it is the most content heavy subject I do - there's quite a lot to learn. Also, there's coursework for Year 2 where you have to make a game or project. This is very long considering its only worth 20% of your overall grade -ost people do above 100 pages of work plus the program. So computer science is definetly the most time consuming subject. I got an A* in my CS year 12 exam.
Physics: it's got some fairly interesting topics -much more interesting than gcse. The maths needed is very simple: all you need to know is trigometry and how to rearrange equations (plus logarithms for Year 2 stuff). If you're aiming for top grades, you have to have a good very grasp on concepts and be able to apply them to different scenarios. I got an A* in my physics year 12 exam
Maths: defiently my easiest subject. Year 1 maths is quite easy, especially if you did gcse further maths. It's good lots of stuff to do with graphs and very basic algebra plus differentiation/integration and some trig. Year 2 maths is definetly trickiest especially year 2 intergation -but if you do enough practice questions you should be fine. I got an A* In my year 12 exam.
Further maths: my favourite subject by far. If you enjoy maths, you will like this. However if you didn't get a 9 or high 8 in gcse maths, I don't recommend taking - there quite a few people getting low grades in my year. There a 4 different modules you have to do and most people find the work pretty hard. Especially year 2 further maths. But, like maths, all you really need to do to study is constant practice questions from the textbooks. I got an A* in my year 12 exam.
(For context I got all 9's at gcse but, of course, I did not actually take any exams)
wow those are amazing grades, congratulations!
So computer science is quite content heavy huh.
Right now, would it be a good idea to take those 4 subjects, and if my interest in comp sci outweighs my interest to do biomed engineering, continue with it in uni and do software dev / cybersec. If I still want to do biomed engineering over comp sci, then apply for biomed engineering at uni and do that instead? (google told me biomed engineering requires maths and physics and preferred subjects are further maths / bio / chem)
Because I've heard that bio and chem are really heavy at A level, but now that ik comp is pretty heavy too, im unsure on whether I should switch, which is leading me back into thinking about going down the comp sci - software path at uni.
username5737602
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
wow those are amazing grades, congratulations!
So computer science is quite content heavy huh.
Right now, would it be a good idea to take those 4 subjects, and if my interest in comp sci outweighs my interest to do biomed engineering, continue with it in uni and do software dev / cybersec. If I still want to do biomed engineering over comp sci, then apply for biomed engineering at uni and do that instead? (google told me biomed engineering requires maths and physics and preferred subjects are further maths / bio / chem)
Because I've heard that bio and chem are really heavy at A level, but now that ik comp is pretty heavy too, im unsure on whether I should switch, which is leading me back into thinking about going down the comp sci - software path at uni.
To do computer science at university, you don't even need computer science A-level. All you need is maths, and further maths is recommended. So you should definitely pick those two. And physics is also good as it opens up pathways to engineering, even if you aren't particularly interested in it right now. But between computer science and biology, as none of them are require for any of your uni choices, I'd say just do the one you think you will enjoy most and do the best in. If I had to bet, it probably say that biology and chemistry are harder than computer science but I'm not too sure.
dg.0358
Rep:
?
To do computer science at university, you don't even need computer science A-level. All you need is maths, and further maths is recommended. So you should definitely pick those two. And physics is also good as it opens up pathways to engineering, even if you aren't particularly interested in it right now. But between computer science and biology, as none of them are require for any of your uni choices, I'd say just do the one you think you will enjoy most and do the best in. If I had to bet, it probably say that biology and chemistry are harder than computer science but I'm not too sure.
TYSM man, I feel alot more reassured now. Ig i'll go ahead with maths, further maths, physics and comp sci and just try my hardest. I'll decide whether I want to apply to comp sci or biomedical engineering when it comes around to writing my personal statement or something. But right now, yh, ig these subjects are what i'll stick with.
Thanks so much and GL with your results!
username5737602
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
TYSM man, I feel alot more reassured now. Ig i'll go ahead with maths, further maths, physics and comp sci and just try my hardest. I'll decide whether I want to apply to comp sci or biomedical engineering when it comes around to writing my personal statement or something. But right now, yh, ig these subjects are what i'll stick with.
Thanks so much and GL with your results!
Thanks and good luck to you too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.25%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
19.28%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.94%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (15)
18.07%

Watched Threads