Urgent Help Regarding My Scientific Calculator!!

Watch
Aleksander Krol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
when i used tan inverse (3/2) on my calculator i get 62.56659164 but others are getting different values than mine. idk why??? How can I fix this issue??
Last edited by Aleksander Krol; 1 month ago
Blackrose06
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
is your calculator on degrees or radius? it the top right hand corner off the screen it will have an "r" or a "d"
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blackrose06)
is your calculator on degrees or radius? it the top right hand corner off the screen it will have an "r" or a "d"
it's on r.
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
?
should i press shift 9 = AC ?
Blackrose06
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
change it to d by clicking the mode button i think
d= degreese
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aleksander Krol)
it's on r.
Sounds like you're on g actually, r would give you something less than 1. You probably want to be in degrees or radians, so d or r, depending on what the question asks for
Blackrose06
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
whats g??? let me get my calculator
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
whats g??? let me get my calculator
Gradians, never used in GCSE or A level but can give answers annoyingly close to degrees so you don't notice it's wrong :rolleyes:
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
Sounds like you're on g actually, r would give you something less than 1. You probably want to be in degrees or radians, so d or r, depending on what the question asks for
thanks btw. it's working fine now. i got into D mode rn.
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thanks btw. it's working fine now. i got into D mode rn.
Ah good - definitely check that at the start of any exams, it always catches at least 1 person out!
Blackrose06
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oh g is gra on my calculator. click shift set up (same as mode) and click either 3 or 4
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
?
change it to d by clicking the mode button i think
d= degreese
thanks for helping me!!
Blackrose06
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thanks for helping me!!
no problem. my teacher always says to put it on degrees. so i do and shift, 9, CA does nothing.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Gradians, never used in GCSE or A level but can give answers annoyingly close to degrees so you don't notice it's wrong :rolleyes:
This is interesting.

I have 2 engineering degrees & work in scientific research and have never come across any application using gradians.

Seems something that is probably just more confusing to high school students then the benefit of installing this function on the calculator.
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
?
no problem. my teacher always says to put it on degrees. so i do and shift, 9, CA does nothing.
thanks for your advice! :')) i was scared for a moment though. hahah
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
?
Ah good - definitely check that at the start of any exams, it always catches at least 1 person out!
thanks for your advice too!! i will try to be diligent next time. <3
Last edited by Aleksander Krol; 1 month ago
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
This is interesting.

I have 2 engineering degrees & work in scientific research and have never come across any application using gradians.

Seems something that is probably just more confusing to high school students then the benefit of installing this function on the calculator.
Definitely, I've never found any use for the function other than frustrating students, and with A level exams requiring you to be able to switch between degrees and radians on the same paper it's so easy to accidentally hit a wrong button. It's an awkward one because you can teach someone how to tell if their answer is reasonable, but when their calculator gives 56.3 in degrees and 62.6 in gradians there's often no way to spot the mistake unless they see that tiny G at the top of the screen :rolleyes:
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Definitely, I've never found any use for the function other than frustrating students, and with A level exams requiring you to be able to switch between degrees and radians on the same paper it's so easy to accidentally hit a wrong button. It's an awkward one because you can teach someone how to tell if their answer is reasonable, but when their calculator gives 56.3 in degrees and 62.6 in gradians there's often no way to spot the mistake unless they see that tiny G at the top of the screen :rolleyes:
All very odd.

I always used to actively check R & D on relevant questions and in exams always do a test like sin(90) just to double check.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise