How much free time do you REALLY have at uni? (York)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey - I worked for 12-14 hours a day during my A-levels to come out with top grades (fingers crossed), so now I’m anxious that I’ll have to put 100x the amount of effort in to even pass my History course at University. I see some people partying often, going out for meals, joining societies, volunteering, etc, but I feel like I’ll never have the time.
I understand that that’s a ‘me problem’ (I need to get my priorities straight and get a work/life balance), but any advice in sorting this would be much appreciated!
In the first year, how many hours do you work a day? Do you get enough sleep e.g., I tend to wake up at 6:30am and sleep at 10:30pm?
Thanks!
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey - I worked for 12-14 hours a day during my A-levels to come out with top grades (fingers crossed), so now I’m anxious that I’ll have to put 100x the amount of effort in to even pass my History course at University. I see some people partying often, going out for meals, joining societies, volunteering, etc, but I feel like I’ll never have the time.
I understand that that’s a ‘me problem’ (I need to get my priorities straight and get a work/life balance), but any advice in sorting this would be much appreciated!
In the first year, how many hours do you work a day? Do you get enough sleep e.g., I tend to wake up at 6:30am and sleep at 10:30pm?
Thanks!
Hello,

You obviously put in a lot of commitment to your A-levels which is amazing! You should be proud of what you have achieved, no matter what grade you get.

Students definitely do know how to go out and have a good time but what you don't see is the work behind the scenes as that would be a bit boring to talk about and put on social media!

The general concensus is to spend 2-3 hours independent study for each hour you are in a lecture/class at univeristy. So 8 contact hours a week is as little as 16 hours a week. However, you will know what you need to do and the time it takes to achieve this. You will find it is a lot of reading and note taking in preperation for citing within essays which, if you do regulary, it will mean essays take a lot less time to complete!

I wouldn't get concered with the number of hours and comparing yourself to others because as you find your own routine, you find time to work and complete everything that is expected of you. It is completely possible to gain a first and still have an active and sociable life style. I personally couldn't give you an amount of time for each day as it varies depending on what I have set out to do and the amount of workload at the time but it is never unachievable. It only impacts my sleep if I leave it to last minute and need to pull an all nighter - though I do not reccomend this (ooops!).

Honestly, you will find the routine that is right for you and it will seem natural a few weeks in!

I hope this helps,
Lydia
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador))
Hello,

You obviously put in a lot of commitment to your A-levels which is amazing! You should be proud of what you have achieved, no matter what grade you get.

Students definitely do know how to go out and have a good time but what you don't see is the work behind the scenes as that would be a bit boring to talk about and put on social media!

The general concensus is to spend 2-3 hours independent study for each hour you are in a lecture/class at univeristy. So 8 contact hours a week is as little as 16 hours a week. However, you will know what you need to do and the time it takes to achieve this. You will find it is a lot of reading and note taking in preperation for citing within essays which, if you do regulary, it will mean essays take a lot less time to complete!

I wouldn't get concered with the number of hours and comparing yourself to others because as you find your own routine, you find time to work and complete everything that is expected of you. It is completely possible to gain a first and still have an active and sociable life style. I personally couldn't give you an amount of time for each day as it varies depending on what I have set out to do and the amount of workload at the time but it is never unachievable. It only impacts my sleep if I leave it to last minute and need to pull an all nighter - though I do not reccomend this (ooops!).

Honestly, you will find the routine that is right for you and it will seem natural a few weeks in!

I hope this helps,
Lydia
Thank you!!! This is really helpful enjoy your holidays xx
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you!!! This is really helpful enjoy your holidays xx
Great!

You too, and good luck on results day!
Caroline92
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks!
Hello! I would say it really depends which course you are studying as to how much free time you have, as lecture time (and possible placements) will vary on different courses. However, you say you are studying history, and I feel you will definitely be able to get a work/life balance with this course. I study social work at Glyndwr University, and manage to work part-time alongside my studies. It can be tough to get a balance, but just don't put too much pressure on yourself and remember to enjoy your time at University too! Caroline
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Caroline92)
Hello! I would say it really depends which course you are studying as to how much free time you have, as lecture time (and possible placements) will vary on different courses. However, you say you are studying history, and I feel you will definitely be able to get a work/life balance with this course. I study social work at Glyndwr University, and manage to work part-time alongside my studies. It can be tough to get a balance, but just don't put too much pressure on yourself and remember to enjoy your time at University too! Caroline
Thank you, Caroline! That’s so sweet how’s your course going? xx
Caroline92
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you, Caroline! That’s so sweet how’s your course going? xx
It is going really well Thank You! final year this September. Good luck with starting your course I am sure you will be great! x
Stumpy1001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
depends on you. I know people who need to go to the library and study for five hours. But in reality they only study for 3. The rest in browsing the internet, txting on their phone, checking Facebook etc.

Its quality over quantity. When you learn how to study effectively, and you manage your time properly,( ie not waiting two days before a 3000 word essay is due to start doing it.) then you will have lots of free time.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I worked hard but still had time to do 2 bands and refuse to work Fridays
Siberiaan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I only worked prior to assignments and exams , aside from that **** all tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.7%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.4%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.93%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed