The Student Room Group

how to plan a gap year travelling?

I am trying to plan about 6-8 months travelling in ideally asia (depending on covid restrictions) but i dont know where to start

if anyone has done this or are doing this year, do you have any suggestions on travel agencies or just how to go about it in general?
learn a new skill
Hiya,

I actually did a gap year before starting university and I know you are going to love it! I moved around a little bit on my gap year however, I did 10 months with one month in Thailand. If you are good at organising I would recommend trying to organise the gap year yourself as you can probably save money. The main thing you need to have booked is flights as this can help you know how many days you have in each place after finding the best flight deals. You should try to limit the amount of flights you have as these will be your biggest expense and the least flexible part, don't forget there are many coach and train alternatives! After that I would recommend booking cheap hostels, luckily if you are going to Asia, you can get very nice places to stay for a very good price. When it comes to activities and excursions my suggestion would be to book most of those when you are there only because whilst you're there you will find that places will compete to get you to purchase from them.
Places I would definitely recommend visiting is Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia.
I hope that helps :smile:
Leah- University of Portsmouth
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hiya,

I actually did a gap year before starting university and I know you are going to love it! I moved around a little bit on my gap year however, I did 10 months with one month in Thailand. If you are good at organising I would recommend trying to organise the gap year yourself as you can probably save money. The main thing you need to have booked is flights as this can help you know how many days you have in each place after finding the best flight deals. You should try to limit the amount of flights you have as these will be your biggest expense and the least flexible part, don't forget there are many coach and train alternatives! After that I would recommend booking cheap hostels, luckily if you are going to Asia, you can get very nice places to stay for a very good price. When it comes to activities and excursions my suggestion would be to book most of those when you are there only because whilst you're there you will find that places will compete to get you to purchase from them.
Places I would definitely recommend visiting is Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia.
I hope that helps :smile:
Leah- University of Portsmouth

Hi!

I was wondering if you could go into a bit more detail on what you did during your gap year, and how you organised it all, etc? I'm planning on taking a gap year before Uni myself.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest