binti_Lamees
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'd really appreciate it if anyone with experience in a medicine degree could give me an honest account of how they found the work-life balance.
Thanks!
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by binti_Lamees)
I'd really appreciate it if anyone with experience in a medicine degree could give me an honest account of how they found the work-life balance.
Thanks!
As long as you are keeping on top of all your work you can manage a good work-life balance. I had roughly 28-32 hours of lectures per week, sometimes more sometimes less. Everything else is just free time so you can study or just chill with friends!
AnnaBananana
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve just finished year two. We’ve had about 34 or so hours a week of timetabled stuff throughout. The pace is fast so it’s important to keep up - it would be a nightmare if you got behind. I try to use spare time during the day to study, organise notes, get any background reading done etc. I don’t generally study at weekends, I spend them mostly with my boyfriend who’s at a different uni. In the evenings I’m generally a bit brain fried so I watch tv, go out (when no lockdown lol), keep in touch with family, exercise, chill with flatmates or whatever. I’ll occasionally do a bit of course reading but I think downtime is important.

My course is six years so it’s important to have a work life balance to be able to go the distance imo
binti_Lamees
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnnaBananana)
I’ve just finished year two. We’ve had about 34 or so hours a week of timetabled stuff throughout. The pace is fast so it’s important to keep up - it would be a nightmare if you got behind. I try to use spare time during the day to study, organise notes, get any background reading done etc. I don’t generally study at weekends, I spend them mostly with my boyfriend who’s at a different uni. In the evenings I’m generally a bit brain fried so I watch tv, go out (when no lockdown lol), keep in touch with family, exercise, chill with flatmates or whatever. I’ll occasionally do a bit of course reading but I think downtime is important.

My course is six years so it’s important to have a work life balance to be able to go the distance
So would you say on the day to day its comparable (in feeling of stress not difficulty) to exam season at sixth year?
AnnaBananana
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So would you say on the day to day its comparable (in feeling of stress not difficulty) to exam season at sixth year?
Nope. Year 13 was hell. Med school has a high volume of work and the pace is fast but it’s not as stressful and the work is more enjoyable (mostly lol).
Last edited by AnnaBananana; 1 month ago
binti_Lamees
Rep:
?
Nope. Year 13 was hell.
glad to hear it, part of the reason I'm apprehensive about medicine is that I find keeping up in exam season very very draining and thought if medical school was similar all the time I'd quickly burn out. But glad to hear its manageable
AnnaBananana
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
glad to hear it, part of the reason I'm apprehensive about medicine is that I find keeping up in exam season very very draining and thought if medical school was similar all the time I'd quickly burn out. But glad to hear its manageable
I think certainly where I am the course structure makes it easier. We have a systems based approach, so if you’re doing the cardiovascular system, then you’re looking at that across all your classes - in anatomy class, and the case studies and clinical skills etc are all related to the same system of the body so the information all fits together in your head. This is different to A levels where what you’re doing in each subject is completely separate.
Last edited by AnnaBananana; 1 month ago
binti_Lamees
Rep:
?
Nope. Year 13 was hell. Med school has a high volume of work and the pace is fast but it’s not as stressful and the work is more enjoyable (mostly lol).
also just noticed your course is 6yrs, do you happen to be studying in Scotland? I'm aiming to study in Scotland, do you like it?
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I 100% agree, hated Year 13 but love med school!
AnnaBananana
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also just noticed your course is 6yrs, do you happen to be studying in Scotland? I'm aiming to study in Scotland, do you like it?
I’m at Imperial in London - we have compulsory intercalation (which is our 4th year) which is why our course is six years.
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope certain universities such as Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial do a 6 year Medicine program.
binti_Lamees
Rep:
?
I’m at Imperial in London - we have compulsory intercalation (which is our 4th year) which is why our course is six years.
Ahh makes sense, I was looking at Imperial but I'm not planning to sit the BMAT
AnnaBananana
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SyedN)
Nope certain universities such as Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial do a 6 year Medicine program.
Where are you studying SyedN? How far through are you?
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where are you studying SyedN? How far through are you?
Was meant to be starting year 3 of med but took a gap year and starting year 2 of med at Leeds in September!
binti_Lamees
Rep:
?
Someone told me that if i'm having any second thoughts at all about medicine or considering other courses, not to pursue it as i'd probably not be able to stick it out. Would youse agree?
AnnaBananana
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wasn’t originally planning to do the BMAT either, but I got a decent ucat score so felt I could afford to give it a shot and use one space on my ucas to try for imperial. I’m glad I did, I’m enjoying my course and get on really well with my flatmates, life is good! I look back at sixth form and feel exhausted - it does get better!
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wasn’t originally planning to do the BMAT either, but I got a decent ucat score so felt I could afford to give it a shot and use one space on my ucas to try for imperial. I’m glad I did, I’m enjoying my course and get on really well with my flatmates, life is good! I look back at sixth form and feel exhausted - it does get better!
My UKCAT (now called UCAT) was terrible and I hated the UCAT but loved doing BMAT and after my really bad UCAT score I only applied to 2 UCAT unis and 2 BMAT unis.

Someone told me that if i'm having any second thoughts at all about medicine or considering other courses, not to pursue it as i'd probably not be able to stick it out. Would youse agree?
Medicine is a life long career so that's why you have to make sure you're 100% committed to doing medicine before you begin. But it is normal to have doubts about if you really want to do medicine or something else, just carefully reflect on why you want to do medicine and gain some work experience (if you haven't already) to get a good insight into medicine!
AnnaBananana
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SyedN)
Was meant to be starting year 3 of med but took a gap year and starting year 2 of med at Leeds in September!
Good luck for year two! I don’t know how the course is structured at Leeds but I definitely felt that things started coming together more in the second year compared with the first. We have a lot of placement in year 3 (24 weeks!) - I’m looking forward to it but fully expecting to feel like I know nothing.

I think it’s challenging and all consuming - some of my school friends have 6-10 contact hours a week on their courses and their workload is nowhere near mine. I still have doubts about whether I’m good enough, I feel like an imposter a lot of the time but I don’t doubt that I love the course and if I hadn’t got in I would have tried again as I couldn’t imagine doing anything else. I think if you’re considering other things then you need to really think about whether it’s medicine that’s putting you off, or a lack of self belief. If you’re questioning your ability but your grades are good enough to reasonably apply then that’s a fairly normal way to feel. If you are looking at course specs for different subjects and they look like a better option to you - then medicine is a hard road if it’s not 100% what you want to do.
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck for year two! I don’t know how the course is structured at Leeds but I definitely felt that things started coming together more in the second year compared with the first. We have a lot of placement in year 3 (24 weeks!) - I’m looking forward to it but fully expecting to feel like I know nothing.
Thank you, Year 2 looks pretty good at Leeds and we were meant to have placement in Year 1 but due to COVID-19 it got cancelled for anyone in Year 2 or below so I'm looking forward to that as well in Year 2.

Good luck with Year 3! The placement sounds soooo fun and I'm sure once you start you'll realise you know more than you think!

I think it’s challenging and all consuming - some of my school friends have 6-10 contact hours a week on their courses and their workload is nowhere near mine. I still have doubts about whether I’m good enough, I feel like an imposter a lot of the time but I don’t doubt that I love the course and if I hadn’t got in I would have tried again as I couldn’t imagine doing anything else. I think if you’re considering other things then you need to really think about whether it’s medicine that’s putting you off, or a lack of self belief. If you’re questioning your ability but your grades are good enough to reasonably apply then that’s a fairly normal way to feel. If you are looking at course specs for different subjects and they look like a better option to you - then medicine is a hard road if it’s not 100% what you want to do.
This was literally me at the start of the year when I just felt like I knew nothing! I feel like all med students live the same life
Last edited by SyedN; 1 month ago
AnnaBananana
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
SyedN we get 8 weeks surgery, 8 weeks medical, and 8 weeks GP. And no easter break but I’m trying not to think about that rn. A lot of our earlier placement time was cancelled too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads