Physics - Variable resistor limitations

Watch
Sclaremonths
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I was wondering how do I explain a variable resistor not being able to obtain the maximum or minimum voltage in a circuit. I will post a picture here
Attached files
Last edited by Sclaremonths; 1 month ago
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do the earlier parts of the question tell you that the working voltage of the lamp is 12 V? I'm assuming that this is the case, so you want a circuit that can give any p.d. across the lamp from 0 V to 12 V.

Is it going to be possible to get the p.d. across the lamp down to 0 V? I know you could do this by opening the switch, but the idea would then be to increase the p.d. across the lamp from 0 V, so that wouldn't work. The closest you could get with this circuit would be when the variable resistor is set to its maximum value - would that be enough to stop the current in the circuit?

Similarly, is it going to be possible to get the p.d. across the lamp up to 12 V? The closes you could get with this cicuit would be when the variable resistor is set to its minimum value (i.e. zero) - would that be sufficent for there to be 12 V across the lamp?

Considering it's only two marks, there won't be a lot of detail required.
Sclaremonths
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Pangol)
Do the earlier parts of the question tell you that the working voltage of the lamp is 12 V? I'm assuming that this is the case, so you want a circuit that can give any p.d. across the lamp from 0 V to 12 V.

Is it going to be possible to get the p.d. across the lamp down to 0 V? I know you could do this by opening the switch, but the idea would then be to increase the p.d. across the lamp from 0 V, so that wouldn't work. The closest you could get with this circuit would be when the variable resistor is set to its maximum value - would that be enough to stop the current in the circuit?

Similarly, is it going to be possible to get the p.d. across the lamp up to 12 V? The closes you could get with this cicuit would be when the variable resistor is set to its minimum value (i.e. zero) - would that be sufficent for there to be 12 V across the lamp?

Considering it's only two marks, there won't be a lot of detail required.
okay thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads