shak21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am really interested in sociology as well as international relations, is there any sociology in an international relations degree?
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shak21)
I am really interested in sociology as well as international relations, is there any sociology in an international relations degree?
shak21
Hello! I have a 1st BA (Hons) Sociology degree, just had a look at the spec for international relations at Cambridge. It looks to me like some of the content such as "frameworks of geopolitics and international institutions" would riff off classical sociological concepts such as Functionalism and Marxism. Also there is "newer challenges to the state, including the role of technology, social media and climate change" Sociology would prove a valuable insight in to some of these areas. Sounds a really interesting course

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

I've just finished my 2nd year at Reading doing politics and international relations, and I would say yes there is!

International relations is all about how states interact with each other, and why they did certain things that led to an outcome. Part of this is getting inside of the leaders mind and figuring out why they made those decisions, and what they thought of a country and why. Its also important how the people of a country reacted to those things. In my degree, we have studied a lot about 'norms' which has really interested me, because its all about how people perceive something and how this can differ across the world.

I hope that makes sense and answers your question! You can have a look at Readings International Relations degree here - I would really recommend it, its been great so far. If you have any questions about the degree or Reading, please don't hesitate to ask

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I have just completed my degree in Sociology at the University of Bath.

At Bath, we offer a Politics and International Relations course, which you can check out here and also a Sociology course, which you can check out here. Both also have the option of adding a placement year, which is a valuable opportunity to gain work experience as part of your degree. Placements years at Bath are quite popular, with an average of two thirds of Bath students completing one each year.

What is great about many courses at Bath is that you have the option to pick and choose your modules, so even if you study Politics and International Relations you can pick Sociology modules and if you study Sociology you can pick Politics and International Relations modules. I made the most of this and completed modules from the Psychology and Education departments, in addition to my modules in Sociology.

Bath itself is a great, top 10, campus based University, with both the Politics and International Relations and Sociology courses consistently ranking in the top 10. You can check out a video tour of the campus here, to get a feel for the university and a video tour of the city of Bath here, to get a feel for the beautiful, historic city.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask

Isobel (A Final Year Sociology Student)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads