Daniel17s
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm gonna tell you guys a short story. When I was in high school I had severe social anxiety and missed a lot of school. I got bad gcses, let go of many friends, it was just the worst. I then worked on my social anxiety and progressed to college. Recently I finished my level 2 course in creative media and I'm predicted a good grade. Also, I've applied for level 3 creative media, basically things are going well. I've been wondering if volunteering as a special constable at my local police station would be a good idea. I really would like to work as a digital marketer in the future and just wanted to know if I would somehow benefit from becoming a special constable. I know that policing doesn't really relate to digital marketing but do you guys think future digital marketing employers would see that as a valuable experience? I'd like to add that I also have a strong interest in policing so its not like I'm forcefully going to apply.

Thank you
brainzistheword
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Daniel17s)
Hi, I'm gonna tell you guys a short story. When I was in high school I had severe social anxiety and missed a lot of school. I got bad gcses, let go of many friends, it was just the worst. I then worked on my social anxiety and progressed to college. Recently I finished my level 2 course in creative media and I'm predicted a good grade. Also, I've applied for level 3 creative media, basically things are going well. I've been wondering if volunteering as a special constable at my local police station would be a good idea. I really would like to work as a digital marketer in the future and just wanted to know if I would somehow benefit from becoming a special constable. I know that policing doesn't really relate to digital marketing but do you guys think future digital marketing employers would see that as a valuable experience? I'd like to add that I also have a strong interest in policing so its not like I'm forcefully going to apply.

Thank you
If you think you would enjoy it and benefit from the experience then I'd say go for it, even if it's not directly related to the career you'd like. I suppose the only thing I would be conscious of is the time commitment and whether you'd prefer to use the time to pursue something more closely related to digital marketing?

Regardless of whichever you choose, there will always be great transferable skills that you can carry with you into different careers. And congratulations on all of your hard work to get to this stage!

I'm happy to be a sounding board if you have any further thoughts on this
Daniel17s
Rep:
?
(Original post by brainzistheword)
If you think you would enjoy it and benefit from the experience then I'd say go for it, even if it's not directly related to the career you'd like. I suppose the only thing I would be conscious of is the time commitment and whether you'd prefer to use the time to pursue something more closely related to digital marketing?

Regardless of whichever you choose, there will always be great transferable skills that you can carry with you into different careers. And congratulations on all of your hard work to get to this stage!

I'm happy to be a sounding board if you have any further thoughts on this
Thanks for the reply!!! I think I will apply for it as I got a 4 in English and English in my opinion is very important for digital marketing, writing, speaking with work mates and all that. Not saying that my English is bad but I could definitely skill up when talking. You know just get rid of the errs and hmms. But I think like you said there where will be transferable skills I can carry over to other careers. Also, I'd like to say that I'm not only going to do this just so I can improve my CV, I want to do this because I've been through a lot and would like to work with communities and just overall make a positive impact at least for a year. Anyways thanks for replying you're awesome
brainzistheword
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply!!! I think I will apply for it as I got a 4 in English and English in my opinion is very important for digital marketing, writing, speaking with work mates and all that. Not saying that my English is bad but I could definitely skill up when talking. You know just get rid of the errs and hmms. But I think like you said there where will be transferable skills I can carry over to other careers. Also, I'd like to say that I'm not only going to do this just so I can improve my CV, I want to do this because I've been through a lot and would like to work with communities and just overall make a positive impact at least for a year. Anyways thanks for replying you're awesome
Hey no worries! Sorry if it came across like I thought you were only doing it for your CV - I totally get that you must have a genuine interest to want to pursue it. I think your reasons for wanting to do it are fantastic and every credit to you! I hope it all works out for you
Daniel17s
Rep:
?
Hey no worries! Sorry if it came across like I thought you were only doing it for your CV - I totally get that you must have a genuine interest to want to pursue it. I think your reasons for wanting to do it are fantastic and every credit to you! I hope it all works out for you
I'm currently moving houses so I'll have to wait till I apply but I'm really looking forward to it. I am sorry for bothering you but do you have any advice on how to go a grade higher. I finished level 2 and I'm predicted a merit which is good but I'm kind of stressing because I'll be starting level 3 soon and I know the work will get harder and Ill have to get a couple distinctions if I want to get into uni since most unis want grade DMM. The problem I have is for example when I look back at the work that I did during level 2 that will most likely get me a merit, I don't really know what I could've done to get a distinction. Now I'm kind of worried that I'll have the same issue when I start level 3. I know unis sometimes accept students that got a lower grade but I want to at least get the grade that's required since my gcses weren't the best. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
brainzistheword
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm currently moving houses so I'll have to wait till I apply but I'm really looking forward to it. I am sorry for bothering you but do you have any advice on how to go a grade higher. I finished level 2 and I'm predicted a merit which is good but I'm kind of stressing because I'll be starting level 3 soon and I know the work will get harder and Ill have to get a couple distinctions if I want to get into uni since most unis want grade DMM. The problem I have is for example when I look back at the work that I did during level 2 that will most likely get me a merit, I don't really know what I could've done to get a distinction. Now I'm kind of worried that I'll have the same issue when I start level 3. I know unis sometimes accept students that got a lower grade but I want to at least get the grade that's required since my gcses weren't the best. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
I'm in the middle of moving house too so I hope things go well and you can settle down a bit soon! No need to apologise - always happy to help if I can

In my experience of doing a Level 3 BTEC, the Distinction criteria is a way to draw on your research and the points you've made for the Pass/Merit criteria in order to try and form your own judgments - if that makes sense? A lot of the Distinction questions/topics usually involve analysing or evaluating certain points. It depends how your assignments are structured, but in general I'd try to approach tasks so that:

• For pass criteria - these would typically be the research elements, either using your own research or class notes
  • Merit - building on the basic research I'd try to make links between the points and/or research conclusions drawn by others
  • Distinction - take the pass and merit points and see what conclusions I can draw to either support/disprove the topic in question and also evaluate the sources (to see if they are biased, limited, credible etc.) so that I can support the judgments I make.

I hope that makes some sort of sense My experience is with engineering rather than creative media but I think there should be some overlap in the approach.

If you haven't already, it might be worth digging out the course specification and taking a look through the units you'll be taking (if you know them). In each unit chapter, there are the criteria for Pass/Merit/Distinction so it might give you a good idea of what type of thing your tutors are looking for. If you're not too sure how to read the spec just give me a shout and I'll help you through it
Daniel17s
Rep:
?
I'm in the middle of moving house too so I hope things go well and you can settle down a bit soon! No need to apologise - always happy to help if I can

In my experience of doing a Level 3 BTEC, the Distinction criteria is a way to draw on your research and the points you've made for the Pass/Merit criteria in order to try and form your own judgments - if that makes sense? A lot of the Distinction questions/topics usually involve analysing or evaluating certain points. It depends how your assignments are structured, but in general I'd try to approach tasks so that:

• For pass criteria - these would typically be the research elements, either using your own research or class notes
  • Merit - building on the basic research I'd try to make links between the points and/or research conclusions drawn by others
  • Distinction - take the pass and merit points and see what conclusions I can draw to either support/disprove the topic in question and also evaluate the sources (to see if they are biased, limited, credible etc.) so that I can support the judgments I make.

I hope that makes some sort of sense My experience is with engineering rather than creative media but I think there should be some overlap in the approach.

If you haven't already, it might be worth digging out the course specification and taking a look through the units you'll be taking (if you know them). In each unit chapter, there are the criteria for Pass/Merit/Distinction so it might give you a good idea of what type of thing your tutors are looking for. If you're not too sure how to read the spec just give me a shout and I'll help you through it
Hey there thanks for the reply. I remember when I was doing level 2 we had a criteria. So for example our tutor said for a pass you just need a basic explanation of what you did, for merit you need to add why and distinction you need to explain thoroughly. I checked the units for level 3 and they are:
- pre-production techniques for the creative media industries
- film and video editing techniques
- producing print-based media
- single camera techniques
- film studies
- television studies
- page layout and design
- factual programme production techniques for television
- interactive media authoring
- music video production
- stop motion animation
- photography and photographic practise
- marketing and public relations
- communication skills for creative media production
- research techniques
- critical approaches to creative media products
Here are there units. I'm not really sure what you mean by "read the spec" if you could help me out that would be great. Thanks you're awesome!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (36)
14.94%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.84%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.5%

Watched Threads