MiracleLeaf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi ! so i'm heading into my 3rd year of my undergrad and i'm about to turn 22. i want to apply for graduate entry veterinary medicine, but it's so expensive that I would have to take at least one year out to work and save money, hopefully no more than two years though ! my worry is that I would be starting the graduate programme at 24/25 and i'd be around 28 when I finish ! is this older than the average? like how old are graduate vet students on average?

thanks !!
ArtisticScreech
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This isn't my area but I do know a fair bit about GEM so maybe some of the same rules apply here:

You probably won't be significantly older than most on your course - there are people who go to medical school in their 30s and 40s and I would imagine it's similar for vet med.
Are you applying to graduate-entry courses or undergrad-entry courses as a grad? For the former - assuming the same rules apply as with medicine - your degree is funded like an undergrad degree except you have to pay the first £3500 in year 1 (the last part may not apply).
RambleAmple
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ArtisticScreech)
This isn't my area but I do know a fair bit about GEM so maybe some of the same rules apply here:

You probably won't be significantly older than most on your course - there are people who go to medical school in their 30s and 40s and I would imagine it's similar for vet med.
Are you applying to graduate-entry courses or undergrad-entry courses as a grad? For the former - assuming the same rules apply as with medicine - your degree is funded like an undergrad degree except you have to pay the first £3500 in year 1 (the last part may not apply).
This isn’t the true for vet med, you have to pay the £9250 each year without student finance funding.
ArtisticScreech
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RambleAmple)
This isn’t the true for vet med, you have to pay the £9250 each year without student finance funding.
Thanks for the correction - this doesn't really make sense to me as medicine (and I think dentistry) are both funded at grad level. Hopefully this will change in future to make vet med more accessible. Do you know if you get a maintenance loan for grad-entry vet med?
RambleAmple
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ArtisticScreech)
Thanks for the correction - this doesn't really make sense to me as medicine (and I think dentistry) are both funded at grad level. Hopefully this will change in future to make vet med more accessible. Do you know if you get a maintenance loan for grad-entry vet med?
I agree completely, it is a shame as it puts people off doing it. You do get a maintenance loan as far as I'm aware, just not the tuition fees.
MiracleLeaf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
bump
louisvbird
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya.

For the 5 year courses people on average are school leavers or have just finished their gap years so most are 18-19. However I do know of vet students who will be graduating in their 40s/50s. So you would be older than average, but would not be stuck for finding friends your age and you certainly would not stand out. There are many students in their 20s in first year.

For the grad course, you'd probably find an even more broad range of ages and people.

I'm 22 in my first year (I did a preliminary year so am on the 6 year course) and so will graduate at a similar age to you. I certainly have found that many people are my age so don't worry too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (358)
84.04%
No (68)
15.96%

Watched Threads