The Student Room Group

Odds of getting onto an MSc Statistics course at a top uni with a low 2:1?

I initially made the poor choice to choosing psychology as a career path and finished my BSc a few years ago. I thrived in psychological research methods and applied psychometrics. In fact, I really enjoyed statistics.

Unfortunately due to mental health struggles and my grades were capped. I graduated with a low 2:1 and became ill after graduating, it was my stats grades which saved me from getting an awful 2:2. I have next to no work or relevant experience on my CV and the uni I went to doesn't have a good reputation. So I'm worried that this is going to affect my chances of getting onto a masters course (MSc Statistics).

Now what I want to know is...

1. Many RSS accredited MSc courses are held at top unis. What are my odds of getting accepted? And how do I increase those odds?

2. How do I gain skills and experience in the meantime before late 2022 (when the next available courses start)?

3. Is work experience necessary for getting onto a masters?

I want to apply at London School of Economics, UCL, Imperial and Birkbeck (which im skeptical of but needed a 4th choice which is not a top uni as a backup.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
A 2:1 is a 2:1 isn’t it? I’ve never heard of a low 2:1 before (maybe I’m too old?)
Original post by Wulmund
A 2:1 is a 2:1 isn’t it? I’ve never heard of a low 2:1 before (maybe I’m too old?)

Matters for a masters
Original post by Wulmund

Way too old! It matters what % you got because every man and his dog gets a 2.1nowadays. Any Masters worth the money will be looking at 67% or above, maybe 65% if you've got work experience or some other significant contribution to your application.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Way too old! It matters what % you got because every man and his dog gets a 2.1nowadays. Any Masters worth the money will be looking at 67% or above, maybe 65% if you've got work experience or some other significant contribution to your application.

Maybe if it’s a highly competitive course they need to separate the candidates. At KCL 67% was not far from a 1st. That could vary by institution? They would probably look at your circumstances and other stuff a bit I’d guess?
Can't speak as to your odds of getting on, but I'm wondering about the appropriateness of a Psychology degree for applying. A quick look at UCL and Imperial shows that they are looking for graduates in Maths, Physics, Computer Science etc. Unfortunately I don't think the level of statistics covered in your degree would be enough preparation for the mathematical demands of their courses. It's always worth emailing to find out more, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending