Am I naturally weak when it comes to academics?

Watch
username5807970
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m 22 and still don’t really know where my strengths lie tbh...

When it came to my academics I only ever could retain/learn through writing. I did 1 year of Year 12 at a selective sixth form college and one of the teachers advised “you learn/revise just by highlighting the CGP book because that’s already pre made revision”. There’s no way I could learn that way lol. In High School for science practicals the teacher would read out the instructions and people would just know what to do and I’d always be like wtf (thank goodness it was usually paired).

I would like to say that I worked hard during my academic years but I always found a way to bottle it.

I did well in GCSEs but not as well compared to most I met in uni, and for GCSEs I only understood the topics 1 month before the exam for most subjects.

I bottled my A Levels missing my firm due to 1 mark in History, and 2 remarks did nothing - ABB

I finished my degree with a 2:1 but in 2nd and 3rd year my semester 2 marks always seemed to drop a lot compared to semester 1.

Growing up I had issues with my thyroid Graves’ disease, and then hypo after my surgery. I’ve looked it up and that can affect things like concentration and short term memory. But by uni that was all sorted and I still had issues concentrating when reading most books.I found I had to read journal articles 4 times to really understand them (I had to do this when said article was an important source for my essay)
Last edited by username5807970; 1 month ago
Sammydemon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lurker98)

When it came to my academics I only ever could retain/learn through writing. I did 1 year of Year 12 at a selective sixth form college and one of the teachers advised “you learn/revise just by highlighting the CGP book because that’s already pre made revision”. There’s no way I could learn that way lol. In High School for science practicals the teacher would read out the instructions and people would just know what to do and I’d always be like wtf (thank goodness it was usually paired).

I would like to say that I worked hard during my academic years but I always found a way to bottle it.

I did well in GCSEs but not as well compared to most I met in uni, and for GCSEs I only understood the topics 1 month before the exam for most subjects.

I bottled my A Levels missing my firm due to 1 mark in History, and 2 remarks did nothing - ABB

I finished my degree with a 2:1 but in 2nd and 3rd year my semester 2 marks always seemed to drop a lot compared to semester 1.

Growing up I had issues with my thyroid Graves’ disease, and then hypo after my surgery. I’ve looked it up and that can affect things like concentration and short term memory. But by uni that was all sorted and I still had issues concentrating when reading most books.I found I had to read journal articles 4 times to really understand them (I had to do this when said article was an important source for my essay)
Don’t get hung up on academics. Do you really enjoy it?

It’s not too late to jump ship.
Elize W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe but you need to play the game with the hand of cards you were given rather than wishing you drew diffrent ones. Also if you repeat to yourself that you are naturally bad at it it is not going to matter if you are or not - it will be a self fulfilling prophecy
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t know what you’re worrying about - with your good A level grades and degree grade you are well above average academically
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username5807970)

Hi,

I would argue that it is all about perspective. What I got from your post is that you're someone who got good A Levels and graduated with a 2:1 (congrats btw!) despite any struggles you may have had along the way, which is the same story for a lot of people. Yet, you still have done better than a lot of people. Be proud of your accomplishments. Be proud of your tenacity and flexibility because, yes, you understood topics a month before the exam but at the end of the day, at least you understood! There's a lot to be said for that. And don't compare yourself to other people, we may all be on the same road but we are driving in different cars and heading to different places. Hope that helps!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
18.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
10.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (13)
35.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise