can't afford my accommodation

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Basically, I am an international student going to Bristol next year and I am unable to take out any loans. My parents are fairly well off, I was supposed to be getting 1500 euro a month for uni for my costs of living. However, in my country, the pandemic has just gotten way worse and this caused my parents to lose a lot. Yesterday they told me they're going to be able to give me 1000 euro (~800gbp) a month at most. I completely understand it and I am still grateful for what I am able to get. The problem im facing is my accomodation, I picked the most expensive accommodation choices as I was expecting more money at the time of making these choices. I now realized I won't be able to afford 6/9 accommodation choices even if i get a part time job during uni. How do I go about this, is there anything I could do since in the accommodation page it said the l could only make changes till the 30th of June. Is the only option I have to just wait till the accomodation offers roll in and hope i got one of my bottom 3 choices. Anyone have any ideas of what I could do please.

Thank You
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
Check the cancellation clause in your contract, there might be the option to pay a fee to get out, especially as the uni year hasn't started yet.

Is it uni provided accom or private? If it's uni they might be more lenient, try ringing the accom team and just explaining your situation, a uni should want to do everything they can to help.
flamingolover
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically, I am an international student going to Bristol next year and I am unable to take out any loans. My parents are fairly well off, I was supposed to be getting 1500 euro a month for uni for my costs of living. However, in my country, the pandemic has just gotten way worse and this caused my parents to lose a lot. Yesterday they told me they're going to be able to give me 1000 euro (~800gbp) a month at most. I completely understand it and I am still grateful for what I am able to get. The problem im facing is my accomodation, I picked the most expensive accommodation choices as I was expecting more money at the time of making these choices. I now realized I won't be able to afford 6/9 accommodation choices even if i get a part time job during uni. How do I go about this, is there anything I could do since in the accommodation page it said the l could only make changes till the 30th of June. Is the only option I have to just wait till the accomodation offers roll in and hope i got one of my bottom 3 choices. Anyone have any ideas of what I could do please.

Thank You
talk to the unis. Often there are grants or they can help or advise you better on what to do. If you feel like you are able you might have to get a job
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.66%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.56%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.92%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.53%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
24.04%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads