r2368
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I live overseas and I had a question. For the UK unis, if we meet the academic requirement, we can meet the English Language requirement any time before the uni starts, right? So like before September of the year we are starting?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by r2368)
Hi, I live overseas and I had a question. For the UK unis, if we meet the academic requirement, we can meet the English Language requirement any time before the uni starts, right? So like before September of the year we are starting?
Generally you’ll need to meet English language requirements before 31 August of the year you want to start.

Practically for arranging a VISA it is a good idea to try to meet English language requirements earlier (in June or July) so you have more time to get a visa and arrange travel
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Universities will not confirm you have a place until you have the required IELTS grades.
Leaving it until August will give yo all sorts of issues, with the practicalities of starting University, plus you risk losing your place because of weak last-minute-grades.

I'd suggest that you take an IELTS as early as you can - and then you have later tests to repeat if you don't get high enough scores.
r2368
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Generally you’ll need to meet English language requirements before 31 August of the year you want to start.

Practically for arranging a VISA it is a good idea to try to meet English language requirements earlier (in June or July) so you have more time to get a visa and arrange travel
(Original post by McGinger)
Universities will not confirm you have a place until you have the required IELTS grades.
Leaving it until August will give yo all sorts of issues, with the practicalities of starting University, plus you risk losing your place because of weak last-minute-grades.

I'd suggest that you take an IELTS as early as you can - and then you have later tests to repeat if you don't get high enough scores.
Thank you all! I actually take A level English Lit and English is my first language, but I think some unis require the speaking part of IGCSE English First Lang, which I never got given. Thus, I may have to take IELTS, even though I have been in English-speaking schools my whole life.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by r2368)
Thank you all! I actually take A level English Lit and English is my first language, but I think some unis require the speaking part of IGCSE English First Lang, which I never got given. Thus, I may have to take IELTS, even though I have been in English-speaking schools my whole life.
Then you need to check with each Uni IF they require extra English Language qualifications from you - as most will not for those who have completed secondary school *in English*.
r2368
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Then you need to check with each Uni IF they require extra English Language qualifications from you - as most will not for those who have completed secondary school *in English*.
Ah thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads