What is the best way to determine if a teacher is good or not?

Watch
anitajs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys so I overheard a conversation during lunch time the other day and seems like they're debating about what method schools should use to evaluate teaching quality? I'm guessing the guy is a teacher and the lady is a integrator or some IT person. Anyways I don't usually eavesdrop, but their conversation (or should I say fight haha) was quite interesting. The teacher thinks that it's easiest to just evaluate teachers based on their students' performance on exams. On the other hand, the IT lady thinks that recording how teachers behave in classes and collect data from there is more efficient and fair. I don't really know much about IT stuff and I've never heard of schools evaluating teaching quality by recording them but I do think that the method the guy proposed it quite unfair? Also I almost choked on my ramen when I heard the lady call our the guy for being a dumb kid but having an amazing teacher in high school so I guess they're high school classmates? Anyways, what do you guys think about this.
Isla Duncan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anitajs)
Hi guys so I overheard a conversation during lunch time the other day and seems like they're debating about what method schools should use to evaluate teaching quality? I'm guessing the guy is a teacher and the lady is a integrator or some IT person. Anyways I don't usually eavesdrop, but their conversation (or should I say fight haha) was quite interesting. The teacher thinks that it's easiest to just evaluate teachers based on their students' performance on exams. On the other hand, the IT lady thinks that recording how teachers behave in classes and collect data from there is more efficient and fair. I don't really know much about IT stuff and I've never heard of schools evaluating teaching quality by recording them but I do think that the method the guy proposed it quite unfair? Also I almost choked on my ramen when I heard the lady call our the guy for being a dumb kid but having an amazing teacher in high school so I guess they're high school classmates? Anyways, what do you guys think about this.
Observing their behaviour in class and asking students how they feel about the teacher is best
There's a class in my school where everyone gets amazing grades but everyone hates the teacher and part of the reason everyone gets A's is because he forces all of the failing people to drop the class
Also just going off grades is terrible anyway because people can be doing a lot of revision/have a personal tutor at home so their grades aren't necessarily a good rep of how good the teacher is.
My chem teacher is amazing but several people aren't doing well/are dropping the class because they just dont get chem or are finding it too hard, but they love my teacher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.6%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.04%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (35)
16.51%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.62%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
26.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.34%

Watched Threads