Can UCL revoke my offer if I request to refund my deposit fee due to scholarship?

Watch
npf2342
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've accepted a postgraduate offer at UCL and I was required to pay a deposit fee; which I have also paid.

However, I recently received a full ride scholarship and I'd like to refund the fee I paid and replace it with the sponsorship letter by the scholarship body. I've mailed them 2 weeks ago about this possibility - no answer so far. I've also tried calling them but it never went through as I was always put on hold for 10+ minutes, and it's very expensive for me to call them as I am currently not in the UK.

My question is, if I directly request for a refund without their confirmation that refunds on this ground is possible, and if they deny that request, can they actually revoke my offer?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by npf2342)
I've accepted a postgraduate offer at UCL and I was required to pay a deposit fee; which I have also paid.

However, I recently received a full ride scholarship and I'd like to refund the fee I paid and replace it with the sponsorship letter by the scholarship body. I've mailed them 2 weeks ago about this possibility - no answer so far. I've also tried calling them but it never went through as I was always put on hold for 10+ minutes, and it's very expensive for me to call them as I am currently not in the UK.

My question is, if I directly request for a refund without their confirmation that refunds on this ground is possible, and if they deny that request, can they actually revoke my offer?
I wouldn't risk it. I would wait until they reply to your email or until you arrive at the university and you can talk to Admissions in person. It may be that you still have to pay a deposit fee even if you don't have to pay other fees so be careful.
npf2342
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I wouldn't risk it. I would wait until they reply to your email or until you arrive at the university and you can talk to Admissions in person. It may be that you still have to pay a deposit fee even if you don't have to pay other fees so be careful.
So my scholarship is supposed to cover for my deposit fee as well. Prior to me paying my deposit fee, the Admission actually mailed me that if I have scholarship I can upload the sponsorship letter instead of paying the deposit fee. However, by the deadline of the payment, I still don't have the letter but now I do have the letter.
Last edited by npf2342; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So my scholarship is supposed to cover for my deposit fee as well. Prior to me paying my deposit fee, the Admission actually mailed me that if I have scholarship I can upload the sponsorship letter instead of paying the deposit fee. However, by the deadline of the payment, I still don't have the letter but now I do have the letter.
It sounds like you are entitled to a refund in that case but unless they reply to your email, I would wait until you get to UCL before taking it any further. It sounds like it will be simple to sort out once you are there and can talk to them in person about it.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Upload the scholarship letter and keep emailing them about the repayment for the deposit, explain you need the money as soon as possible because of the costs of preparing for the course.

There is no way at all they would revoke your offer over this.
npf2342
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Upload the scholarship letter and keep emailing them about the repayment for the deposit, explain you need the money as soon as possible because of the costs of preparing for the course.

There is no way at all they would revoke your offer over this.
Thank you for this reassuring answer. I actually cannot afford to wait for them to give me a go ahead for me to request for refund. I know it'll take some time to process the refund as well. I have some financial limitation and the fees I paid (£2000) is a lot to me. I need the money to help me pay for visa and flight tickets as well, which is not covered by my scholarship unfortunately.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.09%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.79%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (47)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.97%

Watched Threads