Students Tell All: What is University Life Really Like?

Watch
TSR Talks- Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ever wondered what life is like as a university student? Want to get the inside scoop on what living in halls is like or how to cope with moving away from home for the first time? Or perhaps you’re trying to figure out how to choose the right university course?

Well, now’s your chance to ask the students themselves in our ‘Students Tell All’ thread!

As students ourselves, we’ve been through it all before and now want to give you the chance to ask us any questions you have about university life and all that it entails!

Our bios are below if you have a specific question for one of us, or feel free to ask a more general question to the whole group!

From course content, to societies, to our day-to-day schedules to our favourite meals to cook on a budget - ask us anything!

We’ll be online for the next two weeks and are looking forward to chatting with you

Spoiler:
Show
Laura (English Literature and Media & Communication; Graduate)

Hi! I chose to study English Literature and Media & Communication because I loved studying the subjects at A-Level. The best thing about studying at Hope is the fact that they offer 50/50 combination degrees, meaning that I could study two subjects I loved at degree level.

I also worked part time in a cinema as well as being an usher and ticket officer within the university’s creative campus.

During my time at Hope, I was a member of the Musical Theatre Society which provided me with some of my best university experiences. I got to make friends and perform in the university's Capstone Theatre.

Dearbhail (Early Childhood Studies; 1st Year Student)

Hello! I have always enjoyed working with children and I thoroughly love all aspects of my course. As my course is practical-based, I have had to complete a placement in an Early Years Setting.

For my first year, I stayed at Hope Park en-suite accommodation. I enjoyed staying on the campus as I got to meet other students from different courses and my own, and did not have to travel far for my classes.

This year, I managed to sign up for the rounders society, which I have enjoyed being part of, and I hope to begin the BSL society in September. I enjoyed my first year in university despite the circumstances.

Charlotte (Drama and English Language; 2nd Year Student)

Hello I'm Charlotte, I study Drama and English Language and as a joint honours student, it expands my opportunities for the future. Moving away from home to study at Liverpool Hope University was such an amazing decision as it meant I was independent, I’m making new friends and I’m studying a course that I am so passionate about!

I was also part of the Dance society which I found was very collaborative as people attended from no background of dance, to 10+ years of dance! Being a student ambassador for Hope has made me feel like I’m making a difference in helping fellow students pick their next pathway.

Emma (BA Education Studies; 2nd Year Mature Student)

Hello. My name is Emma and I am a mature student at Hope university in Liverpool. I live at home with my family in Liverpool and travel to university by car.

I have just completed my second year and am looking forward to a summer break, before the beginning of term in October.

I also have a part time job working as a student ambassador for the university. This allows me to meet and talk to loads of interesting people and try to answer their questions and help them decide on which course/university is best for them.
Maple_Leaf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TSR Talks- Liverpool Hope University)
Ever wondered what life is like as a university student? Want to get the inside scoop on what living in halls is like or how to cope with moving away from home for the first time? Or perhaps you’re trying to figure out how to choose the right university course?

Well, now’s your chance to ask the students themselves in our ‘Students Tell All’ thread!

As students ourselves, we’ve been through it all before and now want to give you the chance to ask us any questions you have about university life and all that it entails!

Our bios are below if you have a specific question for one of us, or feel free to ask a more general question to the whole group!

From course content, to societies, to our day-to-day schedules to our favourite meals to cook on a budget - ask us anything!

We’ll be online for the next two weeks and are looking forward to chatting with you

Spoiler:
Show
Laura (English Literature and Media & Communication; Graduate)

Hi! I chose to study English Literature and Media & Communication because I loved studying the subjects at A-Level. The best thing about studying at Hope is the fact that they offer 50/50 combination degrees, meaning that I could study two subjects I loved at degree level.

I also worked part time in a cinema as well as being an usher and ticket officer within the university’s creative campus.

During my time at Hope, I was a member of the Musical Theatre Society which provided me with some of my best university experiences. I got to make friends and perform in the university's Capstone Theatre.

Dearbhail (Early Childhood Studies; 1st Year Student)

Hello! I have always enjoyed working with children and I thoroughly love all aspects of my course. As my course is practical-based, I have had to complete a placement in an Early Years Setting.

For my first year, I stayed at Hope Park en-suite accommodation. I enjoyed staying on the campus as I got to meet other students from different courses and my own, and did not have to travel far for my classes.

This year, I managed to sign up for the rounders society, which I have enjoyed being part of, and I hope to begin the BSL society in September. I enjoyed my first year in university despite the circumstances.

Charlotte (Drama and English Language; 2nd Year Student)

Hello I'm Charlotte, I study Drama and English Language and as a joint honours student, it expands my opportunities for the future. Moving away from home to study at Liverpool Hope University was such an amazing decision as it meant I was independent, I’m making new friends and I’m studying a course that I am so passionate about!

I was also part of the Dance society which I found was very collaborative as people attended from no background of dance, to 10+ years of dance! Being a student ambassador for Hope has made me feel like I’m making a difference in helping fellow students pick their next pathway.

Emma (BA Education Studies; 2nd Year Mature Student)

Hello. My name is Emma and I am a mature student at Hope university in Liverpool. I live at home with my family in Liverpool and travel to university by car.

I have just completed my second year and am looking forward to a summer break, before the beginning of term in October.

I also have a part time job working as a student ambassador for the university. This allows me to meet and talk to loads of interesting people and try to answer their questions and help them decide on which course/university is best for them.
Hey I'd be really interested to hear about your day to day schedules but also a typical week at uni! Do you fall into a routine or is it quite varied depending on what's going on?

Also, how did you find moving away from home for the first time and adjusting to living with people you'd never met, was it difficult for any of you?

Thank you!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maple_Leaf)
Hey I'd be really interested to hear about your day to day schedules but also a typical week at uni! Do you fall into a routine or is it quite varied depending on what's going on?

Also, how did you find moving away from home for the first time and adjusting to living with people you'd never met, was it difficult for any of you?

Thank you!
Hello,
Thank you so much for your questions!

Your schedule will vary each year as teaching times change. For my personally, I didn’t have any timetable teaching on a Thursday in first year and then this changed to a Tuesday and Wednesday in second year. This just gives you an opportunity to do some independent studying and catching up! It’s not all about the studying either! You will still have plenty of time to do fun and new things with your course or flat mates!
Personally, I fell into a routine but after a few weeks of being at university you will find a way to handle things in your own way!
I loved moving away from home as I was in a new city and I felt more independent as it was the first time I had to experience cooking and washing for myself😂You just have to remember, the people you live with are in the same boat as you, so you’re all going to be as nervous as each other when you all first arrive. During your first week at university there’s a freshers fair and events that will really help you bond with your fellow university students.

I hope this answers your questions, if there’s anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask!!

-Charlotte
Tammie2345524
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How easy is it to make friends? I'm socially anxious and I'm worried that I won't be able to talk to anyone in the first few weeks and end up with no friends for three years
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tammie2345524)
How easy is it to make friends? I'm socially anxious and I'm worried that I won't be able to talk to anyone in the first few weeks and end up with no friends for three years
Hello,
I hope you are well,

It is okay to be nervous and scared, I was! You just have to remember everyone is in the same position as you as it is a new experience for everyone! No one will want to leave anyone out and it is okay to say no if you don't want to go and do something/go somewhere, but that does not mean anyone will abandon you afterwards! There is a Freshers fair/ events and introduction lessons to your classes throughout your first week at University, so there is plenty of time and opportunities to speak to new people. You can also join societies as well which expands your opportunities to seek new friends and try out something new!
When it was my first day in halls I remember we all sat in the common room and went around the room and asked each other questions and it really helped get a conversation on its feet and everyone joined in!
As with the lectures, the first week all the tutors made sure we felt secure by doing a lot of group activities so there was plenty of opportunities to talk to new people!
If you do however feel like you are stuck and want some guidance, there is a student support system and the team would be more than happy to help you feel more comfortable and feeling settled whilst you are at University.

If you still feel unsure, myself and the other student reps will be more than happy to answer your questions.

-Charlotte
Last edited by TSR Talks- Liverpool Hope University; 1 month ago
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tammie2345524)
Hi,
Thanks so much for your great question
For me personally this was my biggest worry about going to university, I saw myself sitting alone behind a desk with no one to talk to and eating lunch on my own! I had resigned myself to be alone for the whole 3 years! But it hasn’t been like that at all 😀 I have made some lovely friends of all ages and interests! Right from the first day it was easy to get to know other people, I kept myself to myself at first but that didn’t last for long!!! It became obvious that basically everyone in the room with me was extremely nervous and shy and so after a few shy smiles people began to introduce themselves which then led to everyone joining in and admitting how nervous they were which helped me to to introduce myself! The tutors were also helpful in finding ways to make us feel comfortable. By the end of the first week I had several friends who I could hang around with inside and outside uni! Just try to remember most people will be just as nervous as you and this is completely normal so don’t beat yourself up about it and the tutors are great at hope and will make sure you aren’t just left on your own. I am sure once you get over your initial nerves you will be great and have lots of friends 😀
if you want to ask anything else please feel free to ask me or the other girls on here.
Emma 💫
Rep:
?
Hi,
Thanks for your question 😀.
I was very nervous about what uni would be like from day to day and if it would impact on my other commitments as a wife and mother! However there was nothing to worry about! For me I had a weekly timetable that didn’t change (unless extreme circumstances) and so I quickly was able to fall into a regular routine and knew where I was expected and when! In my first year I was in classes on Monday, Thursday and Fridays from about 9am but finished at different times from 3pm onwards. Tuesday and Wednesday were independent learning which I either did at home or went into uni to work with my friends. Second year was the same -a set timetable of days in uni for classes and 2 days of independent study. Obviously this is what I experienced on my particular course but my friends from other courses found they also had set timetable although they were in uni on different days sometimes than me!
I don’t live far from the uni so I commute each day so I am afraid I can’t help you with that question but I see Charlotte has replied as well!

Please don’t be afraid to as if you have anymore questions
Emma 💫
Rep:
?
Hi,

Thank you for your great question.

Just to add, I was in halls for my first year. which was an amazing experience. Although, this year was difficult I met loads of new friends and we all supported each other through it. The senior resident tutors are great too,they organise loads of events to help you settle in. The most important thing to remember is to be yourself. I hope this helps.✨

-Dearbhail
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Maple_Leaf)

Thank you!
Hi hope its okay that I'm replying to this!! I thought I'd give my experience of my uni so far!

I'm currently going into 3rd year of my architecture undergraduate bachelors. In first year I also had one study day (no lectures etc.) per week and my lectures would stay pretty consistent throughout the year as I had some modules that had deadlines right at the end of the year and a few modules that lasted a few months or less. Whereas this year I had 2 study days but my year was split into first term and second term and my timetable changed between both because I had a different set of modules in each. At my uni they also keep the whole afternoon free for one day so that you can join a sports society - usually Wednesday. I personally had quite a busy year because I was on committee for Architecture society and put a lot of time into it - I also work for the uni as a student ambassador and chose to work a lot of the online shifts they offered me. I think to an extent you get into a sort of routine because you have set lectures, seminars but because my course is so varied and I am involved in other things it keeps my week to week quite fluid and keeps me on my toes. I think your uni experience is what you make of it and if you wanted to stay in the library the whole time you could or if you want a good social-work balance you can definitely do that it just takes a bit of practise and discipline.

In terms of living with other people, I agree with charlotte, everyone is in the same boat and just as nervous as you. I quite liked having my room and bathroom to myself and the shared kitchen because I could go in the kitchen to meet/ get to know/catchup with my housemates and then when I wanted my own space it was there for me. I would say offering other people to share food/cook together is a great bonding opportunity.

I hope thats helpful!

Jubilee - Uop rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.99%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (10)
14.93%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
14.93%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
11.94%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (26)
38.81%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.42%

Watched Threads