lostgirl93
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently doing an undergraduate degree at the University of Birmingham. I’ve recently been interested in the idea of working in investment banking but I know my university is a non target. Does it mean I have no chances of breaking into IB? Even if I am planning on doing a master’s degree at a target uni say LSE? I am kinda worried that If I were at a target uni from the beginning I’d have a chance to do internships with JP Morgan/Bain etc but at Brum I don’t.
j25_8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Network. Even though UoB isnt “target”, it’s still a Russel group uni which should make it easier for you to come into contact with your school’s alumini who have potentially gotten into IB. Use linkedin and look for them. Then (as briefly as you can) email them and explain who you are, what you two have in common and what you’re looking for. Another thing you have going for you is your potential masters degree at an actual target uni, right? That’ll give you a pretty huge leg up as you’ll be able to

1) network even better - I reckon there are more IB alumini from LSE than there are from UoB

2) make you a more valuable asset in the eyes of an employer

But, check if you need work experience to take up a masters degree at LSE. Some universities ask for this as a prerequisite. As for networking - there’s a pretty good youtuber and former IBer who gives a lot of handy tips about breaking into the field. I’ll link some of his relevant videos

https://youtu.be/aRdxhDrLtp8

https://youtu.be/pWC-IaZqW5A (skip to 13:55)
lostgirl93
Rep:
?
(Original post by j25_8)
Network. Even though UoB isnt “target”, it’s still a Russel group uni which should make it easier for you to come into contact with your school’s alumini who have potentially gotten into IB. Use linkedin and look for them. Then (as briefly as you can) email them and explain who you are, what you two have in common and what you’re looking for. Another thing you have going for you is your potential masters degree at an actual target uni, right? That’ll give you a pretty huge leg up as you’ll be able to

1) network even better - I reckon there are more IB alumini from LSE than there are from UoB

But, check if you need work experience to take up a masters degree at LSE. Some universities ask for this as a prerequisite. As for networking - there’s a pretty good youtuber and former IBer who gives a lot of handy tips about breaking into the field. I’ll link some of his relevant videos

Wow thank you so much for such an insightful response!
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Grind out as many applications for insight days, spring weeks, internships as possible.

Obviously make sure you try to improve your applications as you get through different stages and develop your application skills
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by j25_8)

Worth mentioning that this guy's not British; the recruiting system in North America is very different to London. Over there, the way to get interviews is to network/speak to bank reps at your school through on-campus-recruiting, we don't have that here so trying to get your CV pushed at a Bulge Bracket/Elite Boutique isn't really palatable. Networking is important because it might help OP get some work experience/internships at smaller banks/funds and then they can work their way up but won't really help them land a decent gig at a BB/EB.
lostgirl93
Rep:
?
(Original post by leviticus.)
Worth mentioning that this guy's not British; the recruiting system in North America is very different to London. Over there, the way to get interviews is to network/speak to bank reps at your school through on-campus-recruiting, we don't have that here so trying to get your CV pushed at a Bulge Bracket/Elite Boutique isn't really palatable. Networking is important because it might help OP get some work experience/internships at smaller banks/funds and then they can work their way up but won't really help them land a decent gig at a BB/EB.
Do you have any other tips for breaking into IB?
leviticus.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lostgirl93)
Do you have any other tips for breaking into IB?
Read anonuser99's guide and network. Take advantage of any diversity schemes you are eligible for and read up on the industry - i'm not in IB either so can't give you any tips beyond what I've been told ahaha...
+ considering a masters (this will likely need to be an MFin btw) is a good plan since they are p much meant to give you an extra year to recruit for internships/off cycles. Bear in mind the targets at the post grad level differ somewhat.
anonuser99
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
IB is actually reasonably doable from Birmingham. Generally predicated on getting a spring week first.

If you get a target masters, then great, another opportunity.

If you don't get a spring, do a relevant placement (generally won't be IB) then apply again after your placement. Plenty of opportunities to get experience at Birmingham if you're proactive.

If target MFin and placement and spring week doesn't work out then there's always the big 4 route.
lostgirl93
Rep:
?
„targets at the post grad differ somewhat” Could you elaborate please?
leviticus.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
„targets at the post grad differ somewhat” Could you elaborate please?
@ me next time otherwise I might not have seen this. There’s a more exhaustive list on WSO but typically the targets: LBS Mfin, Oxford Mfin, LSE MSc Finance, LSE MSc Accounting & Finance. Semi targets: Cambridge MPhil finance, Imperial/UCL/Warwick Mfin. I think MiM at places like ucl are targets for consulting but you asked about IB
tierny3
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am currently doing an undergraduate degree at the University of Birmingham. I’ve recently been interested in the idea of working in investment banking but I know my university is a non target. Does it mean I have no chances of breaking into IB? Even if I am planning on doing a master’s degree at a target uni say LSE? I am kinda worried that If I were at a target uni from the beginning I’d have a chance to do internships with JP Morgan/Bain etc but at Brum I don’t.
very possible to break through, ive done it at arguably a worse school. the way i think of it is that if you combine your whole application (tests, CV etc etc) you need to reach a certain threshold in order to get an interview, going to oxbridge will help reach that threshold but if education is slightly less, you can compensate through other means

just make sure cv/cl are good format, if you have any good work experience milk the **** out of it on your cv, have a solid CL (super tailored), make sure you do good in the tests and make sure you prep for the interviews. it only takes one interview to get the job and im sure youll get at least one interview, you just wanna be ready.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.56%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
19.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.33%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (12)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads