Applying to oxford Math and Statistics (not this year)

Watch
TommerWeizmann
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, Let me start by explainig my sutuation, I am a mature student who left school at the age of 14 from private reasons, during this last 7 years ive been teaching my self math (becouse i enjoy it) but I am interested in doing a degree and I would like it to be specificlly at oxford, I find this univercity to be beautiful and I truly love the history of this city.
At the moment I do not have any A levels but I have tested my self in A level math and Further math and I am achieving A* without too many problems but my main issue is that i cant trust my self to achieve more than B in other subjects or find too much interest in other subjects that are possible to self study (courses withot course work), providing I will get an A* in both math and further math will I be competitve enough to apply with a B in the third subject?
Thank you for your time.
VannR
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TommerWeizmann)
Hello, Let me start by explainig my sutuation, I am a mature student who left school at the age of 14 from private reasons, during this last 7 years ive been teaching my self math (becouse i enjoy it) but I am interested in doing a degree and I would like it to be specificlly at oxford, I find this univercity to be beautiful and I truly love the history of this city.
At the moment I do not have any A levels but I have tested my self in A level math and Further math and I am achieving A* without too many problems but my main issue is that i cant trust my self to achieve more than B in other subjects or find too much interest in other subjects that are possible to self study (courses withot course work), providing I will get an A* in both math and further math will I be competitve enough to apply with a B in the third subject?
Thank you for your time.
You need to be able to justify yourself not just as someone who can get the grades at A-Level, but someone who can handle the pressure of the workload at one of the world's top institutions. Unless you can justify that via your life experiences, I would say that you don't stand a chance of getting a place regardless of what your A-Level grades turn out to be.
TommerWeizmann
Rep:
?
(Original post by VannR)
You need to be able to justify yourself not just as someone who can get the grades at A-Level, but someone who can handle the pressure of the workload at one of the world's top institutions. Unless you can justify that via your life experiences, I would say that you don't stand a chance of getting a place regardless of what your A-Level grades turn out to be.
Great, Thank you for your answer!
I won't open my life story here, but potentially if I can prove I can handle busy work load and stress through my work, work hours, challenges I had to deal with and solve will it count? In that case it can go in my favour as I assumed it is usually completley educational success that matters in instutitions such as that, providing I can handle the level of the Math for a Math Degree.
Thank you.
VannR
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TommerWeizmann)
Great, Thank you for your answer!
I won't open my life story here, but potentially if I can prove I can handle busy work load and stress through my work, work hours, challenges I had to deal with and solve will it count? In that case it can go in my favour as I assumed it is usually completley educational success that matters in instutitions such as that, providing I can handle the level of the Math for a Math Degree.
Thank you.
It really isn't just educational success that determines one's suitability. It's necessary that you have the grades, but not sufficient. If you are able to demonstrably communicate your work ethic, your reason for pursuing full-time study at this time, and your ability to perform at above A-Level standard (STEP, MAT), then you have a good chance.
TommerWeizmann
Rep:
?
(Original post by VannR)
It really isn't just educational success that determines one's suitability. It's necessary that you have the grades, but not sufficient. If you are able to demonstrably communicate your work ethic, your reason for pursuing full-time study at this time, and your ability to perform at above A-Level standard (STEP, MAT), then you have a good chance.
Great, you gave me exacly the information I needed!
Thank you very much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
15.08%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.35%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (47)
37.3%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
26.19%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.38%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (9)
7.14%

Watched Threads