Anaya2016
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am currently a 19yr old student who is resitting year 12 due to personal medical issues. I have finished yr 12 and at present am predicted BB for biology and chemistry.... I know that definately am eligible for extenuating circumstances when I apply. My question is do you think it is possible for me to bring me predicts up to AA by the 1st of October ? Or do you think it will be better for me to apply after I have completed my alevels and actually have my grades?. If I apply after I get my results summer 2022, does that mean if I get a place I won't be able to go until September 23 or will I be abe to go in September 22 as planned?

Thanks in advance
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anaya2016)
Hi, I am currently a 19yr old student who is resitting year 12 due to personal medical issues. I have finished yr 12 and at present am predicted BB for biology and chemistry.... I know that definately am eligible for extenuating circumstances when I apply. My question is do you think it is possible for me to bring me predicts up to AA by the 1st of October ? Or do you think it will be better for me to apply after I have completed my alevels and actually have my grades?. If I apply after I get my results summer 2022, does that mean if I get a place I won't be able to go until September 23 or will I be abe to go in September 22 as planned?

Thanks in advance
Hey! If you are eligible you could look at Foundation Medicine, which is Medicine but with 6 years with the first year being the foundation year. These usually have entry requirements of BBB-BBC.

You could ask your teachers to give you a mock in September to show them how much you have improved during the summer, which could result in an AAA prediction. If you are looking to apply this October for September 2022 entry you will need to sit the UCAT or BMAT this year as well so do keep that in mind.

If your prediction do not go up you will have to take a gap year and apply after you get your results in August 2022, which does mean you will be applying for September 2023 entry.

Let me know if you have got any more questions about medicine!
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have a look at this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7055243 which may help and please ask if you have more questions
Anaya2016
Rep:
?
(Original post by SyedN)
Hey! If you are eligible you could look at Foundation Medicine, which is Medicine but with 6 years with the first year being the foundation year. These usually have entry requirements of BBB-BBC.

You could ask your teachers to give you a mock in September to show them how much you have improved during the summer, which could result in an AAA prediction. If you are looking to apply this October for September 2022 entry you will need to sit the UCAT or BMAT this year as well so do keep that in mind.

If your prediction do not go up you will have to take a gap year and apply after you get your results in August 2022, which does mean you will be applying for September 2023 entry.

Let me know if you have got any more questions about medicine!
So to clarify, what's the difference between medicine and foundation medicine?. Apart from the additional year, will doing foundation medicine prevent me from becoming e.g. consultant gastroenterologist ? In the future...
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So to clarify, what's the difference between medicine and foundation medicine?. Apart from the additional year, will doing foundation medicine prevent me from becoming e.g. consultant gastroenterologist ? In the future...
Literally the extra year and the WP entry requirements.
Once you graduate, no one knows that you had the Foundation year - specialty applications are totally blinded to where you studied.
Anaya2016
Rep:
?
(Original post by becausethenight)
Literally the extra year and the WP entry requirements.
Once you graduate, no one knows that you had the Foundation year - specialty applications are totally blinded to where you studied.
Okay good,
What universities are offering this?
yippy-yikes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay good,
What universities are offering this?
Bristol
Dundee
Edge Hill
HYMS
KCL
Keele
Lancaster
Leeds
Leicester
Lincoln
Liverpool
Nottingham
Plymouth
Southampton
UEA

I think that's all of them excluding the Scottish Universities as they're only open to Scottish applicants (oh and excluding UCLan too)

But do check all the universities' eligibility criteria because they're not all the same! :emog:
Last edited by yippy-yikes; 1 month ago
Anaya2016
Rep:
?
I was looking at kings college EDMP. I don't meet the entry criteria. I would have been a definate applicant for the realising opportunities programme, but due to health complications I missed the deadline. I know you can only apply in yr 12 and I'll be going into yr13 in September. I definitely do qualify for extenuating circumstances as well. But don't know if it's worth applying for kings EDMP as I don't know what my chances of getting in are, since I missed the RO deadline
Anaya2016
Rep:
?
I was looking at kings college EDMP. I don't meet the entry criteria. I would have been a definate applicant for the realising opportunities programme, but due to health complications I missed the deadline. I know you can only apply in yr 12 and I'll be going into yr13 in September. I definitely do qualify for extenuating circumstances as well. But don't know if it's worth applying for kings EDMP as I don't know what my chances of getting in are, since I missed the RO deadline
And the reason, I really liked this course. Is BC it's a medicine course, which is spread out not a foundation yr which I have to pass in order to get into medicine
yippy-yikes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm guessing the problem is getting an A in Biology or Chemistry. As said above, most of the med schools that offer a foundation year have their entry requirements at BBB or BBC (with a B in Biology or/and Chemistry etc.) so KCL's entry requirements are on the higher end of this scale

I get what you mean about the course though - you're right, it doesn't look like there's a 'pass mark' in order to progress onto the first year. I feel like however, a lot of these courses have this in place to see if students are capable enough/ will cope well in the first year, which is nothing bad at all! It's not like they want you to fail so if you ever feel like you're drowning a bit, they should be there to help you be the best you can be :yep:

Also, don't panic about the realising opportunities programme! Reading the eligibility criteria, there are also other things that they take into account (and remember these are not compulsory) like POLAR4, schools with low attainment scores (not sure if they include both GCSEs and A-Levels for that) and 'other widening participation backgrounds' (which I can't say for sure, but that might include your circumstances). I don't know so I can't say whether they look at applicants who have done the programme more than others, but do note your circumstances down because that should be taken into consideration.

Overall, I'd imagine you'll have to be predicted an A in either Biology or Chemistry to apply to KCL. Also, you have a maximum of 4 med schools to apply for (these can all be at foundation) so still have a read round of the others and what thet offer in their courses. Can I ask, excluding the pass mark stuff, are there any other med schools which you're interested in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads