Greek mythology+religion

Watch
Learner777
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve been watching Greek mythology videos and I’ve been seeing all the links between judasism/Christianity. Has anyone seen these links too or know why?
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What links?
Both Judaism and Christianity are monotheistic religions. Ancient Greeks had polytheism. I don't see the connection at all.
Learner777
Rep:
?
Like how Zeus and Christian God have some similar characteristics. Lilith being linked to one of Zeus wives hades and afterlife being linked to hell (a place where departed sprits go). I also researched links of Greek mythology to religion.
Learner777
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
What links?
Both Judaism and Christianity are monotheistic religions. Ancient Greeks had polytheism. I don't see the connection at all.
Like how Zeus and Christian God have some similar characteristics. Lilith being linked to one of Zeus wives(Lamia). Hades and afterlife being linked to hell (a place where departed sprits go). I also researched links of Greek mythology to religion.
Last edited by Learner777; 1 month ago
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Learner777)
Like how Zeus and Christian God have some similar characteristics. Lilith being linked to one of Zeus wives(Lamia). Hades and afterlife being linked to hell (a place where departed sprits go). I also researched links of Greek mythology to religion.
The Greek gods had very human characteristics because they were relatable to the people at the time. Rather than being like the mysterious omnipotent Judeo-Christian God, the Greek gods often behaved in very human ways, and were most definitely flawed.

Unlike the Judeo-Christian God, the Greek gods didn't create everything. They weren't even the first gods, as the Titans came before them until Zeus overthrew them.

I'm seeing more differences than similarities.

Lilith wasn't God's wife.

Hell is ruled over by a fallen angel who still ironically loves his father (because he has no choice really, angels were literally made to serve God), whereas Hades was assigned to his post by his brother, when the land, sea, and underworld were divided between the three Olympian brothers. He's also a nutcase who basically kidnapped someone to make her his wife, and he has a three headed dog.

Yeah there are a few very arbitrary similarities but really not all that many.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Greek gods had very human characteristics because they were relatable to the people at the time. Rather than being like the mysterious omnipotent Judeo-Christian God, the Greek gods often behaved in very human ways, and were most definitely flawed.

Unlike the Judeo-Christian God, the Greek gods didn't create everything. They weren't even the first gods, as the Titans came before them until Zeus overthrew them.

Hell is ruled over by a fallen angel who still ironically loves his father (because he has no choice really, angels were literally made to serve God), whereas Hades was assigned to his post by his brother, when the land, sea, and underworld were divided between the three Olympian brothers. He's also a nutcase who basically kidnapped someone to make her his wife, and he has a three headed dog.

I can see plenty of parallels between the behaviour of the Greek gods and the God of the old testament. They're always doing horrible things to people through "miracles", out of vindictiveness, jealousy, and spite. Not nearly as many parallels with the new testament, though.
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
I can see plenty of parallels between the behaviour of the Greek gods and the God of the old testament. They're always doing horrible things to people through "miracles", out of vindictiveness, jealousy, and spite. Not nearly as many parallels with the new testament, though.
Jealousy yeah okay, I'll give you that one. God used to be a jealous sort during the old testament. Like I said, there are a few arbitrary similarities.

Plenty more differences though. The Greek gods thought nothing of incest, homosexuality, polygamy, and many more things that the Judeo-Christian God very clearly disagreed with. In fact, the Greek gods engaged in such practices all the time.

The Greek gods really didn't actually care all that much about what humans did, as long as they worshiped them, and made sacrifices and libations to them, and honoured them with temples and altars. The Judeo-Christian God on the other hand had very strict rules about what humans could and couldn't do.

The Greek gods had children all the time with their spouses, as a product of affairs, with other gods, or even with nymphs, humans, or anything else. These children were almost always as a result of their lust and desire for sex.

The Judeo-Christian God only had one son, born to a virgin, the product of immaculate conception.
Learner777
Rep:
?

I never said Lilith was Gods wife I said Lilith and lamia (Zeus wife) had very similar characteristics
Georgev21
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are many similarities in terms of the stories and myths that are featured in the greek world and the Christian one. no doubt almost all religious and mythological stories have been influenced by the greeks. Worth noting that the early Christian church held greek philosophers such as plato and aristotle in very high esteem and they contributed a lot to early Christian philosophy
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Learner777)
I never said Lilith was Gods wife I said Lilith and lamia (Zeus wife) had very similar characteristics
Well no, Hera was Zeus' wife (and his sister).
Lamia was one of his mistresses.

God had neither a wife nor a mistress - most definitely not Lilith.

So characteristics or not, they aren't particularly comparable.
Learner777
Rep:
?
Well no, Hera was Zeus' wife (and his sister).
Lamia was one of his mistresses.

God had neither a wife nor a mistress - most definitely not Lilith.

So characteristics or not, they aren't particularly comparable.
No that’s not what I’m saying.I’m saying that Lilith and lamia had similar characteristics
Last edited by Learner777; 1 month ago
Learner777
Rep:
?
(Original post by Georgev21)
There are many similarities in terms of the stories and myths that are featured in the greek world and the Christian one. no doubt almost all religious and mythological stories have been influenced by the greeks. Worth noting that the early Christian church held greek philosophers such as plato and aristotle in very high esteem and they contributed a lot to early Christian philosophy
Ok thank you soo much for answering .
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
platonism is the only real greek link
Last edited by gjd800; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads