The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Apply for a PhD at Cambridge

Hello guys,I've recently graduated from Cambridge (MPhil). I'm thinking of applying for a PhD in the future, but, unfortunately, I didn't get 70 overall and 70 in the dissertation, which is the minimum requirement for students continuing from the Department's MPhil onto the PhD. More specifically, I got 68 overall and 65 for the dissertation, which was disappointing considering that all my term assignments got 70 plus. Do I stand a chance in getting a place? Are publications, conferences, work experience etc. taken into account when assessing applications?Thank you in advance!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by phdapplicant12
Hello guys,I've recently graduated from Cambridge (MPhil). I'm thinking of applying for a PhD in the future, but, unfortunately, I didn't get 70 overall and 70 in the dissertation, which is the minimum requirement for students continuing from the Department's MPhil onto the PhD. More specifically, I got 68 overall and 65 for the dissertation, which was disappointing considering that all my term assignments got 70 plus . Do I stand a chance in getting a place? Are publications, conferences, work experience etc. taken into account when assessing applications?Thank you in advance!

Id contact the supervisor you intend to pursue your PhD with.

Often id say academic requirements are a bit of a line in the sand with regards to a PhD application. If you have already studied in the department then perhaps their is more flexibility as they can directly look at your work.

Yes publications/conferences/experience count for a lot, but it cant omit the checkbox Yes/No requirements.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
For what it's worth a high merit from Cambridge masters which produced good publications and conference proceedings will make you a strong candidate at lots of other institutions.
Original post by mnot
For what it's worth a high merit from Cambridge masters which produced good publications and conference proceedings will make you a strong candidate at lots of other institutions.

Thanks, that's comforting!

Spoiler

Original post by jamplucker

Spoiler

It's easiest to ignore the words. Most, if not all, MPhils at Cam do not award a 'Merit', just Distinction for more than 75%. Otherwise, it's a Pass. There's an accepted, but unwritten convention that accepts Cam grads saying 'Merit' for 70-75, but it's not on any paperwork. Cam is trying to align grading standards and terms across departments, but it's taken at least 10 years and isn't there yet as far as I know.

Most PhD programmes are looking at a minimum of 67% at Masters, but some of the more competitive say 70%.
Original post by threeportdrift
It's easiest to ignore the words. Most, if not all, MPhils at Cam do not award a 'Merit', just Distinction for more than 75%. Otherwise, it's a Pass. There's an accepted, but unwritten convention that accepts Cam grads saying 'Merit' for 70-75, but it'Thas not on any paperwork. Cam is trying to align grading standards and terms across departments, but it's taken at least 10 years and isn't there yet as far as I know.

Most PhD programmes are looking at a minimum of 67% at Masters, but some of the more competitive say 70%.

Thanks. I got 68% in my MA at UCL. So I've probably not got a fighting chance for a place on the Cambridge History PhD?
Original post by jamplucker
Thanks. I got 68% in my MA at UCL. So I've probably not got a fighting chance for a place on the Cambridge History PhD?

There are a few Cam historians around, but I'd say that if you've got good references and a strong research proposal, it's worth a go. They will have a strong understanding of the calibre coming from UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest