Exceptional circumstances form considered, will not get a 2:1 help

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I submitted an exceptional circumstances form for my university back in may 2019 when my mum died of cancer. I had my exams pushed back to august and all the evidence was in the uni system.

Flash forward to july I am about to graduate the university has considered the evidence and told me that no further action was needed because I already passed my modules even though a few of my modules I achieved 40% in my second year so it dragged my overall grade down.

I am expected to graduate with a 2:2 despite submitting exceptional circumstances and achieving a mark of 56.6% the uni has decided I won't get a higher classification.

What are my options now because I did pretty well in my third year most of my modules were 60%+ just a few of my second year modules were poor.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I submitted an exceptional circumstances form for my university back in may 2019 when my mum died of cancer. I had my exams pushed back to august and all the evidence was in the uni system.

Flash forward to july I am about to graduate the university has considered the evidence and told me that no further action was needed because I already passed my modules even though a few of my modules I achieved 40% in my second year so it dragged my overall grade down.

I am expected to graduate with a 2:2 despite submitting exceptional circumstances and achieving a mark of 56.6% the uni has decided I won't get a higher classification.

What are my options now because I did pretty well in my third year most of my modules were 60%+ just a few of my second year modules were poor.
You need to move on and work out what is next in life, ie a job. Once you have graduated then nothing can change your degree grades. Nothing. When a university considers exceptional circumstances they have to compare it against many other examples and decisions they have made, and they can't just 'gift' grades without any academic evidence. Whatever mitigation they give can also only be applied once. So they either give it per module, which they seem to have done in your case, or in the overall degree - but they can't do both.

A 2.2 isn't a disaster though, it doesn't make you unemployable, it only cuts out the very most selective schemes. You bring a lot of other life skills and qualities alongside your degree. Make sure you maximise your use of your university Careers Service as they will be able to support you through all the stages of the job hunting process.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Im sorry to hear about your mum, that is an awful thing to happen; and of course will impact your focus & motivation at university.

Realistically I dont see your grade changing though.
-When you submitted the EC they already gave you pushed back exams, I think at the time you might have benefited from re-doing the year. However now 2 exam boards have past im not sure the EC can be reasonably reevaluated. And 56.6 will be seen as quite far from a 2.1, and not a borderline case.

Good luck with what comes next.
Last edited by mnot; 2 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you all for your responses.

Having checked my interactive transcript on Monday it said I was to receive a 2:2 but checking it now I am to receive a 2:1.

Its pretty confusing but guess I'll see what it says on the certificate.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you all for your responses.

Having checked my interactive transcript on Monday it said I was to receive a 2:2 but checking it now I am to receive a 2:1.

Its pretty confusing but guess I'll see what it says on the certificate.
After the exam board when grades are locked in then you should be notified of your grade.

If you are unsure then you should be able to contact student services who can explain when your grade will be published.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
After the exam board when grades are locked in then you should be notified of your grade.

If you are unsure then you should be able to contact student services who can explain when your grade will be published.
Its been locked in now it shows me the degree im getting and shows my record of learning and achievement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.49%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.51%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.19%
I need help with my personal statement (90)
41.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.19%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (17)
7.91%

Watched Threads