?
Report 1 month ago
only replying so I can see the answer you get as I’m also interested ***
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's slightly unclear what you mean, and if you mean what I think you do it might also vary between courses somewhat. Generally speaking, you will be expected reasonably to make notes in lectures and also on your reading outside of lectures. Whether you write these by hand or type them is up to you.

In terms of whether work is required to be submitted as handwritten vs typeset, usually in exams you will be handwriting things unless you have a disability for which you have been granted permission to type your work instead. For other assignments it is often up to you although usually you would be encouraged to typeset your work using e.g. Word or LaTeX, and sometimes you may be specifically required to do so. Occasionally (e.g. for language modules where the language uses a non-Roman script e.g. most non-European languages) you might also be asked to submit handwritten work so they can assess your ability to write in the script of that language.

Note due to the covid situation making most teaching take place online, correspondingly most assessments have been submitted online and the expectation has been for most of my courses that any submitted work is typeset, because you can't physically mail handwritten work and it can be difficult for the lecturers to read scanned/photographed copies of handwritten work. That said for some of my modules (the language ones) I have been required to submit handwritten work (to demonstrate I can write in the script of that language).
ehorsman03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by princesscharli3)
only replying so I can see the answer you get as I’m also interested ***
I was trying to get myself prepared for university but wasn’t sure if it’s more note taking on notebooks or it’s mostly computerised
ehorsman03
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It's slightly unclear what you mean, and if you mean what I think you do it might also vary between courses somewhat. Generally speaking, you will be expected reasonably to make notes in lectures and also on your reading outside of lectures. Whether you write these by hand or type them is up to you.

In terms of whether work is required to be submitted as handwritten vs typeset, usually in exams you will be handwriting things unless you have a disability for which you have been granted permission to type your work instead. For other assignments it is often up to you although usually you would be encouraged to typeset your work using e.g. Word or LaTeX, and sometimes you may be specifically required to do so. Occasionally (e.g. for language modules where the language uses a non-Roman script e.g. most non-European languages) you might also be asked to submit handwritten work so they can assess your ability to write in the script of that language.

Note due to the covid situation making most teaching take place online, correspondingly most assessments have been submitted online and the expectation has been for most of my courses that any submitted work is typeset, because you can't physically mail handwritten work and it can be difficult for the lecturers to read scanned/photographed copies of handwritten work. That said for some of my modules (the language ones) I have been required to submit handwritten work (to demonstrate I can write in the script of that language).
Thank you I just wasn’t sure that whether in lectures and things like that it was computerised or hand written notes, I’m doing physio and was trying to get thing organised for September ready to start
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ehorsman03)
Thank you I just wasn’t sure that whether in lectures and things like that it was computerised or hand written notes, I’m doing physio and was trying to get thing organised for September ready to start
Really up to the students! I gather it's more and more common these days to type notes in lectures, although I believe I read an article somewhere that said research indicated handwriting notes from lectures improved recall as by necessity you have to synthesise the material as you write because it's impossible to write out what the lecturers are saying verbatim due to how fast people can handwrite things vs how fast people speak (whereas when typing it is more possible to type out notes verbatim as they go along). I can't even remember where I saw that though so, I don't know exactly how accurate that is!
ehorsman03
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Really up to the students! I gather it's more and more common these days to type notes in lectures, although I believe I read an article somewhere that said research indicated handwriting notes from lectures improved recall as by necessity you have to synthesise the material as you write because it's impossible to write out what the lecturers are saying verbatim due to how fast people can handwrite things vs how fast people speak (whereas when typing it is more possible to type out notes verbatim as they go along). I can't even remember where I saw that though so, I don't know exactly how accurate that is!
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ehorsman03)
At university is it more computer based or will you be writing a lot of notes
I've just finished my first year of computer science, so I haven't had the experience of in person lectures but instead this is what I did with things being online.

I found it a lot easier to handwrite notes than to type them, especially when it came to the more mathematical content. If you prefer typed notes I would recommend at least trying to use LaTeX, as that will help you later on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads