Should I get driving insurance on a big car?

Watch
Gl0r1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I'm currently learning to drive with an instructor but my family car is a fairly large 7 seater. Due to this, I'm reluctant on getting insurance for it as it might be quite hard to me to drive it as its much larger than my instructors car.
I was just wondering whether people recommend getting insurance for it despite it being quite big (almost van like) to have more practice between lessons or whether I should just leave it and continue having lessons as my only time to practice?
Thanks a lot
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check with your parents. If it's fully comprehensive and they add you as a named driver, then it should not affect their premiums much.

The bigger issue is that it will probably take you longer to learn as the cars are so disparate in size and handling.

As a passenger in the bigger car, sit in the front passenger seat on journeys and critique your parents driving, generally be especially observant and watch for the bad antics of other drivers. Look ahead and predict other road users. Look at the road signs / road markings, run through what they are and revise any you are unfamiliar with. Parking signs, road lines etc. All of these in themselves will help you develop a greater awareness and deepen your learning.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Check with your parents. If it's fully comprehensive and they add you as a named driver, then it should not affect their premiums much.

The bigger issue is that it will probably take you longer to learn as the cars are so disparate in size and handling.

As a passenger in the bigger car, sit in the front passenger seat on journeys and critique your parents driving, generally be especially observant and watch for the bad antics of other drivers. Look ahead and predict other road users. Look at the road signs / road markings, run through what they are and revise any you are unfamiliar with. Parking signs, road lines etc. All of these in themselves will help you develop a greater awareness and deepen your learning.
I agree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.48%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.74%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (35)
16.2%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.28%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (58)
26.85%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.44%

Watched Threads