The Student Room Group

Film Production/Filmmaking University Courses

Hi everyone, I'm currently in the process of researching film production courses to start in 2022, and I'm also currently in the process of having a crisis, lol! I'm looking for film production, not studies course, that's fairly practical with good industry/work placement connections. If anyone has any recommendations- particularly any current/ex-students of these courses, I'd be thankful for your opinion on them, did you enjoy the course/ was it beneficial to career, how practical was it, connections with industry/work placements, etc. Also what it was like to live in the area of the uni.

Thanks!
Original post by ErinPenn19
Hi everyone, I'm currently in the process of researching film production courses to start in 2022, and I'm also currently in the process of having a crisis, lol! I'm looking for film production, not studies course, that's fairly practical with good industry/work placement connections. If anyone has any recommendations- particularly any current/ex-students of these courses, I'd be thankful for your opinion on them, did you enjoy the course/ was it beneficial to career, how practical was it, connections with industry/work placements, etc. Also what it was like to live in the area of the uni.

Thanks!

If you're looking for BA courses and you want to work in industry then you'll want to start off looking at cilect member courses. There's some decent non cilect member courses too but if you start off looking at cilect film schools then you'll know the sorts of equipment and facilities to look out for.

For undergrad for cilect members your list is (from memory so hopefully I remember them all):
Arts Uni Bournemouth (Bournemouth Film School)
UCA Farnham
Falmouth
Hertfordshire
Leeds Beckett (Northern Film School)
LCC at UAL
Screen Academy Scotland (Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier)
South Wales (in Cardiff)
Westminster
Original post by PQ
If you're looking for BA courses and you want to work in industry then you'll want to start off looking at cilect member courses. There's some decent non cilect member courses too but if you start off looking at cilect film schools then you'll know the sorts of equipment and facilities to look out for.

For undergrad for cilect members your list is (from memory so hopefully I remember them all):
Arts Uni Bournemouth (Bournemouth Film School)
UCA Farnham
Falmouth
Hertfordshire
Leeds Beckett (Northern Film School)
LCC at UAL
Screen Academy Scotland (Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier)
South Wales (in Cardiff)
Westminster

Hi @ErinPenn19, here are some details regarding the Film and TV School of Wales https://www.southwales.ac.uk/filmschool/ and the BA (Hons) Film course at the University of South Wales https://www.southwales.ac.uk/courses/ba-hons-film/. Please let me know if you have any questions. Happy researching!

Rebecca
USW Official Rep

Thanks!

Hello ErinPenn19,

I am Tia, a final year BA (Hons) Communication and Media student at BU. We have a couple of different film courses at Bournemouth University which you can look at here: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/undergraduate-subject-areas/media-film-tv-music-production-courses. The two are BA (Hons) Film and BA (Hons) Film Production and Cinematography, and from what you have said it seems the latter may suit you the most but I would take a look at both to see which suits you. It might be worth reading through the different units for each year to see which is your favourite. The production one is based on our Salisbury campus rather than our Bournemouth one, whereas the film one is at Bournemouth.

Bournemouth Uni is very well known and respected in the industry for courses such as film, and places like to hire BU graduates due to the level of training we provide. You will get to use industry standard equipment, make the most of the incredible industry links, and even do a year or four week placement too (these are offered to every student!). Our graduates have worked on some amazing films such as Star Wars, End Game and Wonder Woman.

I hope this has helped, Tia :smile:
Be warned. The BU Film & Cinematography degree is taught by Wiltshire FE college in Salisbury. It isn’t taught by BU or based in Bournemouth. Wiltshire college isn’t a campus of BU - it is a separate college.
(edited 2 years ago)

Thanks!

Hi!
Film Production is a great course to look at!
I just finished my first year of a film production course at the University of Portsmouth and it has been great so far. Granted it hasn't been as practical as I had hoped because of Covid, but we made the most of the times we were allowed in person.
The faculty have lots of connections and we have had multiple industry speakers so far (including a producer from love island which was very interesting!). We have a whole year (after 2nd year) dedicated to work placements - this is optional but lots of people choose to take this path and find a work placement. The university will help you to find one but encourage you to search for your own placements that appeal to you.
There are also modules in 2nd year that start to connect you to the industry - these things include using client briefs to create videos for external companies, creating your own website, and working across all the different faculties across the uni to intertwine with other creative individuals.
The area is amazing too. The town has a lot of night life and there are plenty of pubs and clubs to go to. Alternatively, if that isn't your thing, the beach is about a 10 minute walk from the university and has sights such as the historic dockyard, hovercraft, shopping centre, and the gorgeous beach itself.
Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions!
Michaela - UoP Rep :smile:

Thanks!

Hello @ErinPenn19

University of the Arts London offers a wide range of creative courses, including several that can lead you into a career in film production. UAL is made up of six unique, internationally renowned colleges: Camberwell College of Arts, Central Saint Martins, Chelsea College of Arts, London College of Communication, London College of Fashion and Wimbledon College of Arts.

We offer BA (Hons) Film Practice at London College of Communication - this is a very practical, hands on film-making course. It's based within LCC's Screen School and sits alongside BA (Hons) Film and Television and BA (Hons) Film and Screen Studies (theory based course), and other moving image and sound courses.

At Wimbledon College of Arts we offer BA (Hons) Production Arts for Screen. This college focuses on all aspects of performance so this course sits alongside other subjects like Technical Arts, Theatre Design, Acting and Costume.

UAL also has many links with industry including the Aesthetica Film Festival - both LCC and LCF collaborated with this event last year, supporting the Virtual Reality and Immersive Experience Labs, and with screenings of graduate films. We have a long list of notable alumni throughout the creative industries including BAFTA and Oscar winning film-maker Steve McQueen.

I would recommend booking on to one of our Open Days to find out more about UAL. You can also reach out to our students via UniBuddy to ask them about their experiences.

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment Team
(edited 2 years ago)

Thanks!

Hello there!

At Plymouth College of Art we offer a few Film courses and I'll talk you through one you may want to check out!

BA (Hons) Film & Screen Arts is a practical filmmaking course where you will explore the craft and aesthetics of contemporary screen-based media, learning the skills required to design and make for film and media production. You’ll study a broad range of approaches to film and media, and investigate the current and emerging techniques used in the global filmmaking industries.

Graduates of the course have participated in many international film festivals and galleries, including the Institute of Contemporary Arts, Edinburgh International Film Festival, London Short Film Festival, New York Tribeca Film Festival, and Raindance International Film Festival.

Recent visiting lecturers to the course include Maria Norman, Head of Production at BBC Natural History Unit, award-winning filmmaker Ben Wheatley, Oscar-winning producer Mia Bays and Production Designer Ed Turner. We have established links with NAHEMI, BFI London, the Royal Television Society and the Aesthetica Film Festival, as well as many independent filmmaking professionals both in the UK and abroad. You’ll have the opportunity to attend international film festivals such as Rotterdam, Oberhausen and Asethestica, where students have screened their own work as well as held panel discussions.

If this sounds like something you may be interested in you can read more about this course here

Best of luck choosing! I hope you find what you're looking for!
Jess
Student Ambassador and MA Illustration Student

Thanks!

Hey! I am currently studying Film, Media and Popular Culture at UCLan and have some experience and knowledge of the film production course. UCLan has some great equipment in their media factory building and has a handful of good connections with Media City being that we are close to Manchester. I think that with most of these courses it is also about how much effort you put in outside of the course - networking and trying to make as many connections as possible! They also run a CJam event for creatives and invite a wide range of people from the industry giving the students opportunity to network with the right people! There is also something called propeller based in the media factory that helps set students up with businesses and lot's of the film and TV production students utilise this as often work is freelance within this industry!

Hope this was helpful and good luck for the future!

Hollie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending