The Student Room Group

Prepearing to study GCSE History

I'm going into year 10 next year, any tips on how to prepare to study GCSE history?
PRACTICE QUESTIONS!!! As soon as you know the exam technique make sure you can answer questions well because you will lose a load of points if you don’t structure properly. Do you know what modules you are doing if so Bitesize them and read around
Original post by Glemon
I'm going into year 10 next year, any tips on how to prepare to study GCSE history?

Hi,
Make sure you have the facts of the story straight, and teach them in as much detail as possible (to yourself, friends, anything or anyone really). This will help you to see if you have any gaps in your knowledge and understanding of the topic. Also, past papers. You can do essay plans of how you would answer your question, or you could write the essay and get used to writing good essays in exam conditions with exam time constraints. Hope that helps!
Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Reply 3
Thanks guys
Original post by Glemon

hi! my biggest advice would be to learn and practice exam technique. make sure you know how to answer each question, and what you will get marks for. practice papers are great and you can find them easily online. you don’t even need to write a full essay, just practicing a paragraph or two is useful!
i learnt the key facts by making flashcards- don’t spend too long in making them pretty, as long as they’re legible they’ll be fine. be sure to go over them regularly to commit the facts to your long term memory.
it’s helpful to figure out how long you are going to spend on each question in the exam, so you know when to move on and won’t run out of time. you can ask your teacher how long each question should take if you’re unsure.
websites such as bitesize and seneca are useful, but to be honest i mainly used info sheets given to me in class and my revision guides. try out different resources early on in the year so you will have figured out what works for you by the time exams come around.
finally, if you don’t understand something, always ask your teacher for help! don’t leave it until the last minute to check something if you are unsure.
i loved gcse history and i hope you do to! hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by fierypianos
hi! my biggest advice would be to learn and practice exam technique. make sure you know how to answer each question, and what you will get marks for. practice papers are great and you can find them easily online. you don’t even need to write a full essay, just practicing a paragraph or two is useful!
i learnt the key facts by making flashcards- don’t spend too long in making them pretty, as long as they’re legible they’ll be fine. be sure to go over them regularly to commit the facts to your long term memory.
it’s helpful to figure out how long you are going to spend on each question in the exam, so you know when to move on and won’t run out of time. you can ask your teacher how long each question should take if you’re unsure.
websites such as bitesize and seneca are useful, but to be honest i mainly used info sheets given to me in class and my revision guides. try out different resources early on in the year so you will have figured out what works for you by the time exams come around.
finally, if you don’t understand something, always ask your teacher for help! don’t leave it until the last minute to check something if you are unsure.
i loved gcse history and i hope you do to! hope this helps :smile:

Thank you! I love history too!
Original post by Glemon

Learn the key facts and dates, this makes it easier to expand on what your talking about, it depends actually, I did aqa Germany, health and the people, and conflict
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ghostface6001
Learn the key facts and dates, this makes it easier to expand on what your talking about, it depends actually, I did aqa Germany, health and the people, and conflict
My teacher was a legend, he told us every single question for every test we had😭he was the head of history, I was in a mixed set and we needed help so he gave us the questions, and went through how to answer them, my yr11 mocks were easy as he told us what was coming up and even for CAG tests he told us to, now kids who were on 4s are getting 6s

Thanks.
Original post by Glemon
Thanks.

That wasn’t so useful,
1. Go over the content and make mind maps and flash cards
2. After each topic do a few past paper question on it, practise is key fr
3. Don’t give up, I was getting 3s in sep of yr11 and by March 7s (with the help of god (praying) and me practising so many questions)
4. Get your teacher to mark you paper if you can
5. Take the mocks seriously
6. Watch YouTube video or documentary’s for context on your era your studying to
Good luck !
Reply 9
Original post by Ghostface6001
That wasn’t so useful,
1. Go over the content and make mind maps and flash cards
2. After each topic do a few past paper question on it, practise is key fr
3. Don’t give up, I was getting 3s in sep of yr11 and by March 7s (with the help of god (praying) and me practising so many questions)
4. Get your teacher to mark you paper if you can
5. Take the mocks seriously
6. Watch YouTube video or documentary’s for context on your era your studying to
Good luck !

Thank you. I agree YouTube is a great way to study if you feel you can't fit any more info into your brain.
Nail the technique. I found that History was 40% subject knowledge and 60% writing and analytical skills. In terms of preparing for it, reading books and watching documentaries is really helpful, as not only will you passively retain bits of subject knowledge but you might also begin to understand how to formulate and present your arguments. It doesn't even have to be about the periods you're going to be studying (although that would certain help more), I think the key to success is to enjoy the subject. It is so much harder to motivate yourself to learn content and do practice if you detest the subject, on the flip side if you enjoy it then you'll be willing to go the extra mile.
Reply 11
Original post by unplayable
Nail the technique. I found that History was 40% subject knowledge and 60% writing and analytical skills. In terms of preparing for it, reading books and watching documentaries is really helpful, as not only will you passively retain bits of subject knowledge but you might also begin to understand how to formulate and present your arguments. It doesn't even have to be about the periods you're going to be studying (although that would certain help more), I think the key to success is to enjoy the subject. It is so much harder to motivate yourself to learn content and do practice if you detest the subject, on the flip side if you enjoy it then you'll be willing to go the extra mile.

Thanks, I definitely will do that.

Quick Reply