jas.k123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am in year 10, and i am taking french for GCSE, but i have no idea how to revise for it, and my french grades are awful. can someone tell me how they revised for languages?
Ice.Log
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jas.k.h)
I am in year 10, and i am taking french for GCSE, but i have no idea how to revise for it, and my french grades are awful. can someone tell me how they revised for languages?
For now, practice French everyday - even if it's just 30 minutes on the bus. Languages cannot be revised last-minute so make sure you understand verb conjugations, forming sentences and lots of vocabulary. Idk what exam board you do, but for Edexcel books, they had a 2-page list of vocab after each module - I suggest you add those vocab to Quizlet or Anki set and make sure you can recall ~75% of them from memory. For listening, I think there's a Duolingo podcast for French - I recommend you listen to them at least once a week and try to translate them on paper and use the Duolingo as it's free. For the speaking aspect, try to speak out the flashcards as you answer them, and read aloud translated paragraphs. Most of all, ask your teacher to mark any past papers you do because they're more experienced than you and provide better feedback. Hope this helps!
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
key thing to revising languages is to be studying it regularly- there's so much you could be revising and you never seem to run out of stuff that you could be recapping really ie. the amount of grammar and vocab you could learn is massive. recommend using memrise, duolingo or quizlet to help revise this :yep: do practice papers as well.
King.YRS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey - great question, and don't worry about languages. They can be challenging. I would recommend getting some suggestions and tips from an online course. For as little as 10 pounds, you can get ideas of what Grade 9 answers look like - of course you shouldn't copy them at all. But I found that they give you confidence to create your own sentences by the time you sit your GCSE French paper next year.

A course I recommend is:

>>> go to the website: bytesofintelligence dot co dot uk
>>> go to the All Courses page at the top
>>> Click on the French course and buy the 10 pound course (trust me, it is worth it!!)

Hopefully that helps and let me know how it goes
randomstudent0
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so I somehow managed to get a 9 (I was getting sixes in year 10 so this is kind of how to get a three grade boost I guess):
-first things first LEARN THE TENSES!! and grammar but literally tenses saved all of my french exams, most textbooks have a grammar section at the end of book which you can use to make a quizlet or learn in any way you can
-go through all the writing and speaking past papers and official revision material, look at the mark schemes and write down the ideal answers, they generally have good phrases you can rewrite during your exams (you can also guesstimate which subjects are likely to come up in your actual speaking and writing papers from the ones they have already used via the specification topics)
-watching French Netflix shows like Lupin really helped with speaking and pronunciation
-for vocab if your school has vocab express use that, do a few sets every day or find some vocab quizlets
-if you're unsure about what kind of grammar/vocab to learn look at your syllabus, there's a list of expected vocabulary they want you to know as well as detail into all the grammar and tenses
-start planning your revision long term by doing half an hour a day
good luck!
Last edited by randomstudent0; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (18)
16.67%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.41%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (42)
38.89%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
23.15%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.85%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.48%

Watched Threads