Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If I go to uni, does it mean I will get a well-paid job, or is an apprenticeship better?

I don't really want any debt...but if it's possible to increase my earning potential with a degree, is it worth it?

My main aim is saving money and I'm unsure whether uni is the correct path for this.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's no guarantee of a good job. I have a merit at masters level and work for a bit below average wage. Still got that student debt. :sigh:
VannR
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  no.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  39.9 KB
Attached files
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If your main aim is saving money, Uni is not the answer, you'll be in debt anyway. Don't know a whole lot about apprenticeships though.

Not everyone will earn a lot after Uni, no guarantee on that.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It really depends what you pursue.

For example if you study Economics at Oxford you are almost certainly going to have significantly more earning potential then almost all apprenticeships.

But if you pursue some random vocational course with very limited industry related prospects you would probably find that an apprenticeship where you live at home is much quicker to save up for things like a house...
Anonymous #1
For which reasons would uni be a better option than other options, excluding if it's vocational e.g. medicine, veterinary????
ArdaGirl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
There's no guarantee of a good job. I have a merit at masters level and work for a bit below average wage. Still got that student debt. :sigh:
Where do you work?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
If I go to uni, does it mean I will get a well-paid job, or is an apprenticeship better?

I don't really want any debt...but if it's possible to increase my earning potential with a degree, is it worth it?

My main aim is saving money and I'm unsure whether uni is the correct path for this.
(Original post by mnot)
It really depends what you pursue.

For example if you study Economics at Oxford you are almost certainly going to have significantly more earning potential then almost all apprenticeships.

But if you pursue some random vocational course with very limited industry related prospects you would probably find that an apprenticeship where you live at home is much quicker to save up for things like a house...
I have a business apprenticeship lined up in London paying me a starting salary of £24000 and pays for my entire travel...it just confuses me why I would have chosen uni and scares me that so many went to uni because that's the norm. Or am I making a mistake?
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ArdaGirl)
Where do you work?
I work in an office at a university.

I don't even get the holidays that the students get off so it is incredibly boring particularly now during the summer.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have a business apprenticeship lined up in London paying me a starting salary of £24000 and pays for my entire travel...it just confuses me why I would have chosen uni and scares me that so many went to uni because that's the norm. Or am I making a mistake?
It depends what you want to do...

If this apprentiship will open doors for jobs/industries you want to be in then no, its probably a very good opportunity.
ArdaGirl
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I work in an office at a university.

I don't even get the holidays that the students get off so it is incredibly boring particularly now during the summer.
Omg how did you get a job in a university? I'm looking for a job at university. Please share your tips?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)

If this apprentiship will open doors for jobs/industries you want to be in then no, its probably a very good opportunity.
I want to work my way up in this company- it's very well known and in the government department. The earning potential is huge but am I missing something here? Why would I have gone to uni...and I know apprenticeships are competitive but why did more people not do one and avoid the debt which is just humungous?
Anonymous #1
Omg how did you get a job in a university? I'm looking for a job at university. Please share your tips?
(Original post by mnot)

Yes yes please let us know, if it helps others on this forum then it's great
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I want to work my way up in this company- it's very well known and in the government department. The earning potential is huge but am I missing something here? Why would I have gone to uni...and I know apprenticeships are competitive but why did more people not do one and avoid the debt which is just humungous?
People often just jump on the band wagon after school, what next, a degree...
It's often also pushed by schools.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just kept checking the university job site and when a suitable one came up I applied and got it. :dontknow: Not sure why you'd want to work in a university.
ArdaGirl
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just kept checking the university job site and when a suitable one came up I applied and got it. :dontknow: Not sure why you'd want to work in a university.
Did you have previous experience? Working in uni??
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
People often just jump on the band wagon after school, what next, a degree...
It's often also pushed by schools.
Yes it was massively pushed in my college and I was put on a backseat and 'forgotten' about when it came to university talks and stuff. It was so weird.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi,

It all really depends on what you want to do as a career. Also it is important to note that nothing is ever guaranteed in life (well, except maybe taxes haha!). I would suggest doing some thorough research on what career you want and then see if uni or an apprenticeship will be more beneficial. In some cases, a degree can be worth taking on the debt, and in others, not so much. Good luck with everything!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you have previous experience? Working in uni??
I worked as an office temp as a teenager and at McDonald's while I was at university.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi,

It all really depends on what you want to do as a career. Also it is important to note that nothing is ever guaranteed in life (well, except maybe taxes haha!). I would suggest doing some thorough research on what career you want and then see if uni or an apprenticeship will be more beneficial. In some cases, a degree can be worth taking on the debt, and in others, not so much. Good luck with everything!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Thank you for taking the time to reply, Samantha!
It's definitely given me a lot to think about
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.99%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (10)
14.93%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
14.93%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
11.94%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (26)
38.81%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.42%

Watched Threads