Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Trying to decide whether to do apply to an apprenticeship or go to uni.
I don't really want the debt and I don't know why I would go to uni when I can get my foot in the door of a company and make a name for myself with an apprenticeship.
Please help me decide, I need to decide by next week so I know what I'm doing with my life!
veampleo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Depends what you're looking for out of degree-level qualifications! If you want more focus on the academic side of things, that's uni for you. If you would rather dive into the practical side of things, then an apprenticeship would be better. The only thing I would say is to not let the debt put you off uni if that's where you want to be. You only start paying the loans off under specific financial circumstances (when you're earning £25kish+ taken out of your wages proportionately) after you've finished your degree, and so I don't think that should be a real consideration at all - I can say this with full honesty being from a low-income family.

Best of luck to you! Hope this helps.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would apply for both and see what you get. Good apprenticeships are hard to get.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
There's no way someone will be able to answer this question, because it depends on a lot of factors...

What do you want to gain from going to uni?
Can the exact same thing be achieved without going to uni and acquiring debt?
Which course are you looking to do at uni?
And the most important one... will going to uni give you an advantage that is worth the debt?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by veampleo)
Depends what you're looking for out of degree-level qualifications! If you want more focus on the academic side of things, that's uni for you. If you would rather dive into the practical side of things, then an apprenticeship would be better. The only thing I would say is to not let the debt put you off uni if that's where you want to be. You only start paying the loans off under specific financial circumstances (when you're earning £25kish+ taken out of your wages proportionately) after you've finished your degree, and so I don't think that should be a real consideration at all - I can say this with full honesty being from a low-income family.

Best of luck to you! Hope this helps.
Thank you veampleo
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ReadingMum)
I would apply for both and see what you get. Good apprenticeships are hard to get.
How hard are they to get? Like ones with big companies like GSK and Transport for London etc etc
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
There's no way someone will be able to answer this question, because it depends on a lot of factors...

What do you want to gain from going to uni?
Can the exact same thing be achieved without going to uni and acquiring debt?
Which course are you looking to do at uni?
And the most important one... will going to uni give you an advantage that is worth the debt?
Thanks, that's given me some food for thought!
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It depends on what area you are looking to get into. The most sought after - like IBM and the like - are very competitive.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ReadingMum)
It depends on what area you are looking to get into. The most sought after - like IBM and the like - are very competitive.
Do you know much about how competitive getting into Transport for London is? I have an acquaintance who has just got an apprenticeship with them but don't really want to ask them...
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Do you know much about how competitive getting into Transport for London is? I have an acquaintance who has just got an apprenticeship with them but don't really want to ask them...
no sorry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.84%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
16.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (31)
16.32%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
14.74%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (52)
27.37%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (35)
18.42%

Watched Threads