celticriddle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi

I am starting the access course in science in September 2021, I have been out of education for over 10 years now and I am very rusty with studying so posting here to see if anyone has done the access course in science at NWRC (or elsewhere) and any advice for how I can prepare for it or difficult it is.

I am applying for Dietetic at UU for September 2022 and I need to achieve 65% in all level 3 modules in the access course (and sit the HPAT test).

Any advice is appreciated.
mmcla55
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya, I'm planning on applying for OT or SLT for 2022 entry and noticed you now submit a video interview instead of the HPAT for the AHP courses!!
Last edited by mmcla55; 1 month ago
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I’m hoping I can help a little bit with this. Although I didn’t study at the same educational provider, I completed an access course in social sciences at CU Scarborough in 2019. I had been out of education for a while like yourself and was really nervous to start on the course as i didn’t know how I would be able to handle the workload.

Some tips I’d give is to just bare in mind it is a very intense year. There is a lot of work to get through and you have to make sure you dedicate enough time to the course. If you keep on top of your assignments and research you’ll be absolutely fine but try not get behind as there’s a lot to catch up on. Whilst it is a fairly difficult year, what I will say is that it gives you an amazing head start when it comes to starting on your degree. As my course was taught at the university, I learnt properly how to reference, research, write essays, reports and present. By the time I’d completed the access course my confidence had grown so much and when I started my degree I felt so prepared.

Compared to classmates who had come straight from college, I felt like I had more awareness of how university life really was and how to handle assessments in my first year. Like I said my main tip would be just to keep on top of it, make sure you’re giving yourself sufficient time to do the work, but also make sure as you have some down time too. You’ll deserve it!

Mel - CU Scarborough Student Ambassador (Primary Education and Teaching Studies)
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. My son is planning on starting the PT ( over two years) Adult Access Diploma in Science at Southern Regional College in Newry in September. Depends on whether the course includes two specific modules; Chemistry and Practical Chemical Analysis. They advertise the Chemistry module but not the other one. The college have said that in previous years, both modules are included. Will only find out when the course co-ordinator comes back to work. Sean works 40 hrs a week at a pharmacy, so his manager will have to agree to let him have every Monday off work to do the course. He might say no, which will be the end of that. He wants to study MPharm at Ulster's Coleraine campus. ( Would love to go to Queen's Belfast but they don't accept the Access course).
Last edited by markova21; 1 month ago
EMS2111
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Celticriddle I have been accepted on to the access course Strand Rd Sept 2021 also. Do you know the days/times we are in?
celticriddle
Rep:
?
(Original post by mmcla55)
Hiya, I'm planning on applying for OT or SLT for 2022 entry and noticed you now submit a video interview instead of the HPAT for the AHP courses!!
Oh really? What website is this information on, I would really like to check this out? Thanks
celticriddle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hi there,

I’m hoping I can help a little bit with this. Although I didn’t study at the same educational provider, I completed an access course in social sciences at CU Scarborough in 2019. I had been out of education for a while like yourself and was really nervous to start on the course as i didn’t know how I would be able to handle the workload.

Some tips I’d give is to just bare in mind it is a very intense year. There is a lot of work to get through and you have to make sure you dedicate enough time to the course. If you keep on top of your assignments and research you’ll be absolutely fine but try not get behind as there’s a lot to catch up on. Whilst it is a fairly difficult year, what I will say is that it gives you an amazing head start when it comes to starting on your degree. As my course was taught at the university, I learnt properly how to reference, research, write essays, reports and present. By the time I’d completed the access course my confidence had grown so much and when I started my degree I felt so prepared.

Compared to classmates who had come straight from college, I felt like I had more awareness of how university life really was and how to handle assessments in my first year. Like I said my main tip would be just to keep on top of it, make sure you’re giving yourself sufficient time to do the work, but also make sure as you have some down time too. You’ll deserve it!

Mel - CU Scarborough Student Ambassador (Primary Education and Teaching Studies)
Hi Mel, thanks for the reply, I heard access courses can be very intense alright. I'm glad you did really well in yours and it prepared you for Uni life. Lets hope the same happens here haha I did buy a few GCSE revision books in chemistry, biology and maths to give me a "feel" for the subjects that I know nothing about. roughly how many assignments did you have in your course?
celticriddle
Rep:
?
(Original post by EMS2111)
Hi Celticriddle I have been accepted on to the access course Strand Rd Sept 2021 also. Do you know the days/times we are in?
Hey! I did ask when I had my interview and as far as I'm aware it will be Mon (9-4), Tues (9-4) and half day Wednesday (9-1) for full time students and part-time will be Monday (9-4) and half day Tuesday (9-1). There is a filter test at Halloween for all full time students to see how well we are doing and if we are struggling or finding it too overwhelming, we can opt to do part-time then on in. To be honest, I have thought about doing it part-time, although you will have to pay for that where the full time course is free.
EMS2111
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by celticriddle)
Hey! I did ask when I had my interview and as far as I'm aware it will be Mon (9-4), Tues (9-4) and half day Wednesday (9-1) for full time students and part-time will be Monday (9-4) and half day Tuesday (9-1). There is a filter test at Halloween for all full time students to see how well we are doing and if we are struggling or finding it too overwhelming, we can opt to do part-time then on in. To be honest, I have thought about doing it part-time, although you will have to pay for that where the full time course is free.
I'm in such a similar position to you. I've been outof education for quite some years and I'm not even sure that I was that great at science when I was at school 😄

I too was doing the access with the intention of going in to dietetics. However, I've hit a bit of a stumbling block and can't find a childminder for my kids after school. I'm really not sure how I can go ahead which is disappointing.
beefcurry
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EMS2111)
I'm in such a similar position to you. I've been outof education for quite some years and I'm not even sure that I was that great at science when I was at school 😄

I too was doing the access with the intention of going in to dietetics. However, I've hit a bit of a stumbling block and can't find a childminder for my kids after school. I'm really not sure how I can go ahead which is disappointing.
Just so you know I did access last year I did it full time over a year. Look up ea further education grant. Its a grant for learning and childcare. My daughter went to a registered creche the days I was tech and everything was paid for by EA.
Amcl1452
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I've just completed the Access Science at NWRC last year and am starting Occupational Therapy at Ulster Uni! I was 23 when I started it and found that the first semester was much easier than the second. I was full time and classes were 9-5 monday, 9-4 tuesday and 9-3 wedensday in the first semester, then 9-4 monday and tuesday, 9-1 wednesday in semester 2. In the first semester there is a very basic IT module (not sure if they'll still be doing it this year), a communications module where it covers some english and essay writing skills, maths module which covers what I remember doing in gcse, and the three sciences (biology, chemistry and physics) at what I think is around gcse level. I think there was four reports total that semester and then exams. At the end of that semester you will choose two of these sciences to study at level 3, which is a level standard, as well as a level 3 maths module, which is around AS level and significantly more difficult. I chose biology and chemistry! Also there is a lab skills module where you do experiments and write reports based on the findings. For lab skills you had to write up at least three reports, along with two reports and one assignment for each of the science modules. Then the exams were in May/June.
I'd say this course is good at preparing for writing to university standard, getting used to referencing and the format of reports. The second semester is pretty tight so good time management goes a long way! This year all the exams were open book because of covid probably to my advantage and in the end I got 85% overall! Let me know if you have any more questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed