Is it okay to travel 2 hours and 30 minutes for university(medical school)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
user128
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it okay to travel 2 hours and 30 minutes for university(medical school).
Answer quick plx
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's pretty far. When you factor in getting ready, walking in from door to door your looking at really early starts and late evening returns.
What mode of transport? If it's train/bus is the station close to you? Are there transitions? If you're concentrating on driving can you lose 2 hours of daily study time? Can you stay focused on the road?

I personally wouldn't do it. I've had to commute a little over 2 hours for hospital placement fulltime but only for a few months. If I knew I had to do that for 4-5 years I would have moved out for sure
jodger12456789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
which university are you planning to go to? is there any reason you don’t want to stay in their accommodation?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
5 hours a day? No, you'll end up topping yourself. You'll hate it and it'll physically destroy you.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Each way or all together?
user128
Rep:
?
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
That's pretty far. When you factor in getting ready, walking in from door to door your looking at really early starts and late evening returns.
What mode of transport? If it's train/bus is the station close to you? Are there transitions? If you're concentrating on driving can you lose 2 hours of daily study time? Can you stay focused on the road?

I personally wouldn't do it. I've had to commute a little over 2 hours for hospital placement fulltime but only for a few months. If I knew I had to do that for 4-5 years I would have moved out for sure
(Original post by jodger12456789)
which university are you planning to go to? is there any reason you don’t want to stay in their accommodation?
southampton uni and my parents arent happy with me living in the accommodation
user128
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Each way or all together?
each way
user128
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
5 hours a day? No, you'll end up topping yourself. You'll hate it and it'll physically destroy you.
i cant live in the accommodation my parents arent comfortable and i could go Leicester but thats 2 hours and 17
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Terrible idea, you'll hate it.

Better off renting a place Mon-Fri and returning on weekends.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by user128)
i cant live in the accommodation my parents arent comfortable and i could go Leicester but thats 2 hours and 17
That's equally terrible.

Anything longer than an hour will end up with you hating your life, guaranteed.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not your parents decision.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
each way
Then no, that’s not a reasonable “commute” you will have no study time, no social life, no rest time. It’s not practical and you will be unable to keep it up.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
each way
No that's mad. You need to live closer to university.

Why can't you?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Answer quick plx
No, its crazy given the intensity of a medicine degree - DO NOT do this.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But what about you - are you happy to live in the accommodation?

It's not what your parents think that's important. You're training to be a doctor; you really ought to have more independence than this, even in your first year!

And no: it's a terrible idea.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What is wrong with the accommodation? You could find a one-bed place so you are on your own ... the halls are very safe and near the uni.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Completely unreasonable commute when studying a heavy degree, have you considered how you'll cope when it comes to clinical placements?
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Answer quick plx
No. I travel 1 hour and it's hard. 1.5 hrs would be the max anyone could cope with I would think. if it involves driving, it would actually be dangerous.
xtragravity
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Answer quick plx
Are you planning on commuting that distance for the whole of your degree? Or just in the preclinical years until you get settled? Also, keep in mind that if you're driving then rush hour traffic and parking issues could make it even longer.
I do know people that were travelling about 2h each way on the train during pre-clinical years - mainly because of childcare issues that meant it was easier for them to live closer to their family. However, that meant that they ended up doing a lot of lectures online, and only coming in for compulsory sessions.
Why aren't your parents comfortable with you staying in university accommodation? If it's the cost, then there might be other (more affordable) options available than the university halls.
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Answer quick plx
Nope don't do it! I did a 2 hour commute each way for college and I hated it with a passion. When I was going to uni I moved out because I could not be bothered commuting the 1 hour 30 mins each day to the med school and back.

I don't even want to know how I would be feeling after finishing a day just to have a 2 hour 30 mins commute back home.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads