The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That's pretty far. When you factor in getting ready, walking in from door to door your looking at really early starts and late evening returns.
What mode of transport? If it's train/bus is the station close to you? Are there transitions? If you're concentrating on driving can you lose 2 hours of daily study time? Can you stay focused on the road?

I personally wouldn't do it. I've had to commute a little over 2 hours for hospital placement fulltime but only for a few months. If I knew I had to do that for 4-5 years I would have moved out for sure
which university are you planning to go to? is there any reason you don’t want to stay in their accommodation?
Reply 3
5 hours a day? No, you'll end up topping yourself. You'll hate it and it'll physically destroy you.
Each way or all together?
Reply 5
Original post by Satori Tendō
That's pretty far. When you factor in getting ready, walking in from door to door your looking at really early starts and late evening returns.
What mode of transport? If it's train/bus is the station close to you? Are there transitions? If you're concentrating on driving can you lose 2 hours of daily study time? Can you stay focused on the road?

I personally wouldn't do it. I've had to commute a little over 2 hours for hospital placement fulltime but only for a few months. If I knew I had to do that for 4-5 years I would have moved out for sure

Original post by jodger12456789
which university are you planning to go to? is there any reason you don’t want to stay in their accommodation?

southampton uni and my parents arent happy with me living in the accommodation
Reply 6
Original post by GabiAbi84
Each way or all together?

each way
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
5 hours a day? No, you'll end up topping yourself. You'll hate it and it'll physically destroy you.

i cant live in the accommodation my parents arent comfortable and i could go Leicester but thats 2 hours and 17
Terrible idea, you'll hate it.

Better off renting a place Mon-Fri and returning on weekends.
Reply 9
Original post by user128
i cant live in the accommodation my parents arent comfortable and i could go Leicester but thats 2 hours and 17

That's equally terrible.

Anything longer than an hour will end up with you hating your life, guaranteed.
Original post by user128

It's not your parents decision.
Original post by user128
each way

Then no, that’s not a reasonable “commute” you will have no study time, no social life, no rest time. It’s not practical and you will be unable to keep it up.
Original post by user128
each way

No that's mad. You need to live closer to university.

Original post by user128

Why can't you?
Original post by user128
Is it okay to travel 2 hours and 30 minutes for university(medical school).
Answer quick plx

No, its crazy given the intensity of a medicine degree - DO NOT do this.
Original post by user128

But what about you - are you happy to live in the accommodation?

It's not what your parents think that's important. You're training to be a doctor; you really ought to have more independence than this, even in your first year!

And no: it's a terrible idea.
Original post by user128

What is wrong with the accommodation? You could find a one-bed place so you are on your own ... the halls are very safe and near the uni.
Completely unreasonable commute when studying a heavy degree, have you considered how you'll cope when it comes to clinical placements?
Original post by user128
Answer quick plx

No. I travel 1 hour and it's hard. 1.5 hrs would be the max anyone could cope with I would think. if it involves driving, it would actually be dangerous.
Original post by user128
Answer quick plx

Are you planning on commuting that distance for the whole of your degree? Or just in the preclinical years until you get settled? Also, keep in mind that if you're driving then rush hour traffic and parking issues could make it even longer.
I do know people that were travelling about 2h each way on the train during pre-clinical years - mainly because of childcare issues that meant it was easier for them to live closer to their family. However, that meant that they ended up doing a lot of lectures online, and only coming in for compulsory sessions.
Why aren't your parents comfortable with you staying in university accommodation? If it's the cost, then there might be other (more affordable) options available than the university halls.
Reply 19
Original post by user128
Answer quick plx

Nope don't do it! I did a 2 hour commute each way for college and I hated it with a passion. When I was going to uni I moved out because I could not be bothered commuting the 1 hour 30 mins each day to the med school and back.

I don't even want to know how I would be feeling after finishing a day just to have a 2 hour 30 mins commute back home.

Latest

Trending

Trending