StudentIA
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone,

I currently hold offers from both of these universities. I will do a MSc in management. I have been thinking about the pros and cons of both of the schools but couldn’t come up with a decision. I want to work either in the US or in the UK in the future. Edinburgh is a British university but the city is relatively smal and I doubt that there are opportunities as there are in London for example. Bocconi’s programme is 2 years and there is a possibility that I can go to an American or to a British school in the second year (it’s risky because they demand a high GPA). Regarding the quality of education, Edinburgh’s reputation is quite high around the world due to its history but in terms of MSc in management, Bocconi is ahead in the global rankings. I doubt that I will be able to access to world market easily if I study in Milan but it still is a bigger city than Edinburgh. Also I’m not a native English speaker. Although it’s pretty good, I want to speak like a native. On the other hand, learning Italian sounds great too. I would be most pleased to hear about your opinions.

With regards.
Last edited by StudentIA; 1 month ago
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StudentIA)
Hello everyone,

I currently hold offers from both of these universities. I will do a MSc in management. I have been thinking about the pros and cons of both of the schools but couldn’t come up with a decision. I want to work either in the US or in the UK in the future. Edinburgh is a British university but the city is relatively smal and I doubt that there are opportunities as there are in London for example. Bocconi’s programme is 2 years and there is a possibility that I can go to an American or to a British school in the second year (it’s risky because they demand a high GPA). Regarding the quality of education, Edinburgh’s reputation is quite high around the world due to its history but in terms of MSc in management, Bocconi is ahead in the global rankings. I doubt that I will be able to access to world market easily if I study in Milan but it still is a bigger city than Edinburgh. Also I’m not a native English speaker. Although it’s pretty good, I want to speak like a native. On the other hand, learning Italian sounds great too. I would be most pleased to hear about your opinions.

With regards.
I'd side with Bocconi, Edinburgh isn't known for their business school whereas it's literally Bocconi',s speciality. I know it sounds crazy but if you're looking to go into finance/banking/consulting, Bocconi is considered a target uni in London whereas Edinburgh isn't so it might even have better career prospects in the UK than Edinburgh if you want to live here. I reckon in the US there isn't a massive difference.
XanaXoid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, as an Italian student I must say that Bocconi is the best business school in Italy.
I quickly checked the entry requirements for an exchange program and I would say that is quite easy to achieve (most unis want 22/30 which is a bit more than a pass and top unis want 26 or 27 which is totally doable). The high competition for the available places would be for sure a problem if you only meet the min GPA, most people would exceed it.
Talking about the quality of teaching I would personally pick Edinburgh. A major drawback of Italian unis is that we don't have small classes. the tutorials usually have around 100ish students in each class and there is a professor that explains stuff with little to no possibility to do things yourself. I'm quite sure Bocconi does tutorials in smaller groups but expect to be more than 50 I would say.
StudentIA
Rep:
?
(Original post by XanaXoid)
Hi, as an Italian student I must say that Bocconi is the best business school in Italy.
I quickly checked the entry requirements for an exchange program and I would say that is quite easy to achieve (most unis want 22/30 which is a bit more than a pass and top unis want 26 or 27 which is totally doable). The high competition for the available places would be for sure a problem if you only meet the min GPA, most people would exceed it.
Talking about the quality of teaching I would personally pick Edinburgh. A major drawback of Italian unis is that we don't have small classes. the tutorials usually have around 100ish students in each class and there is a professor that explains stuff with little to no possibility to do things yourself. I'm quite sure Bocconi does tutorials in smaller groups but expect to be more than 50 I would say.
Thank you so much
StudentIA
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
I'd side with Bocconi, Edinburgh isn't known for their business school whereas it's literally Bocconi',s speciality. I know it sounds crazy but if you're looking to go into finance/banking/consulting, Bocconi is considered a target uni in London whereas Edinburgh isn't so it might even have better career prospects in the UK than Edinburgh if you want to live here. I reckon in the US there isn't a massive difference.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (33)
15.87%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.35%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.9%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.92%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (40)
19.23%

Watched Threads