The Student Room Group

Cannot find Placement

So I just completed my second year earlier this month and decided to take a placement year. I have changed my course type at university to thick sandwich. But what I realised now is that people have been applying to placements since last September and everyone I know has secure one by now. I have applied to a few places but didn't get anywhere, it's just been a month since I started! Is it too late for me to find an one year placement now? No one from my uni faculty or career service warned be about this! I am studying politics and International relations but I'm not restricting myself to finding a job in the same field. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do atm?
Original post by Shyraaaa
So I just completed my second year earlier this month and decided to take a placement year. I have changed my course type at university to thick sandwich. But what I realised now is that people have been applying to placements since last September and everyone I know has secure one by now. I have applied to a few places but didn't get anywhere, it's just been a month since I started! Is it too late for me to find an one year placement now? No one from my uni faculty or career service warned be about this! I am studying politics and International relations but I'm not restricting myself to finding a job in the same field. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do atm?

Hi there,

I don't think you should worry too much about when the other students you have mentioned started their applicatons, as placement roles are posted continuously so you should still have options available where you can apply. However, many people start their applications so early because the recruitment process can be very long.
Keeping this in mind you should consider what you would like to do. I know some people who took a placement year but because they couldn't get into a placement they just decided to work a regular job in thei gap year, but some asked the university to continue their studies. I would also suggest to think about why you would like to take this placement year. Internship places are available to apply to as a graduate student too.

I wish you the best with your applications and I hope you find a placement role.

Anna, Event Management BA, Covenry campus

Quick Reply