The yung bean
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi
Does anyone know how a year abroad would effect my prospects of going into finance? I know I would apply for spring weeks a week later. Would it make you a better candidate or would they see it as silly and make you a worse candidate?
I'm starting uni this year
Thanks
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
a week later...? You mean a year later right? I'm unsure how they would view it in a vacuum but so long as you're at a (semi)-target it shouldn't be a huge issue? I'm p sure you could spin it v positively if you utilise it well + can speak the language over there. Assuming its european
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It also depends which uni you're at for your year abroad. Lots of UK unis are partners with top euro/US business school's so you may be able to get a global target uni on your CV which would likely help in applications. Aside from this, I don't think it'll give you a noticeable advantage or disadvantage over other candidates unless you develop decent enough language skills
Saimon1232
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am glad that you have achieved success in the investment field. I am also interested in this topic and I can give you good advice as a beginner investor. use https://orca.app/uk/invest/isa-calculator/ Stocks and Shares ISA Calculator. it will help you control your income and will stimulate you to earn even more. buy the best stocks and catch your luck
Last edited by Saimon1232; 1 month ago
The yung bean
Rep:
?
(Original post by leviticus.)
a week later...? You mean a year later right? I'm unsure how they would view it in a vacuum but so long as you're at a (semi)-target it shouldn't be a huge issue? I'm p sure you could spin it v positively if you utilise it well + can speak the language over there. Assuming its european
Oh yeah sorry my bad. Apply a year later 😂
The yung bean
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
It also depends which uni you're at for your year abroad. Lots of UK unis are partners with top euro/US business school's so you may be able to get a global target uni on your CV which would likely help in applications. Aside from this, I don't think it'll give you a noticeable advantage or disadvantage over other candidates unless you develop decent enough language skills
Ok thanks for the reply 😀
The yung bean
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saimon1232)
do you have enough knowledge in this area?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I mean I don't have enough knowledge if I'm asking questions in TSR
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Investment banking is very international, they may ask how did you use the year abroad/how have you developed as a person through the experience...

Just make sure you stay on the internship application grind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.19%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.19%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.76%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.52%

Watched Threads