Government considering mandatory covid-19 vaccine for all uni students

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
To be allowed on campus.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1890428.html

Currently they're only saying they're not 'ruling the idea out', but come September, I'm sure it will 100% be in effect. Kind of like how last year when 'conspiracy theorists' said we're soon going to have 'vaccine passports' for a regular free life, and they were called crazy.

What do we think about this?
Anonymous #1
Thoughts?
jcnsidcdshdv
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
idk but I'm scared
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The carrot approach has worked well but uptake amongst those in 20s is significantly lower.

Their is a sensible plan to do this, where you never force vaccination but you encourage it with the stick.

I do think the government should mandate all public sector workers get vaccinated or find alternative employment. Similarly they can encourage companies and organisations (including universities) to take similar policies but never force vaccination. Now their is obviously a time issue with many students unlikely to get fully vaccinated by October, to combat this they can simply require a negative lateral flow test done same day to enter universities for semester 1. (and hopefully a big enough inconvenience that they will get jabbed).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
The carrot approach has worked well but uptake amongst those in 20s is significantly lower.

Their is a sensible plan to do this, where you never force vaccination but you encourage it with the stick.

I do think the government should mandate all public sector workers get vaccinated or find alternative employment. Similarly they can encourage companies and organisations (including universities) to take similar policies but never force vaccination.
That's what they're already doing/planning... and it's still called force. It's saying 'take this vaccination or be homeless'. 'Take this vaccination or be a second class human'. 'Take this vaccination or die of starvation'.

That's called force. Where you only have one option. The fact that you or anyone else would defend this or even slightly imply that it's normal is crazy to me.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jcnsidcdshdv)
idk but I'm scared
Me too.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
That's what they're already doing/planning... and it's still called force. It's saying 'take this vaccination or be homeless'. 'Take this vaccination or be a second class human'. 'Take this vaccination or die of starvation'.

That's called force. Where you only have one option. The fact that you or anyone else would defend this or even slightly imply that it's normal is crazy to me.
Utter nonsense.

Its individual employers making a decision about how they run their company/organisation and protect the current employees & stakeholders.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anonymous exaggeration and hyperbole help no one.
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jcnsidcdshdv)
idk but I'm scared
There really is no reason to be. As of this moment, over 2 billion people have received a covid vaccine of some kind. If it hasn't started an I am Legend style apocalypse by now, it probably won't.

On the one hand, I think this may be going a bit far for encouraging vaccination and would prefer a bigger carrot, but on the other hand sometimes I just like to channel my inner Loki and watch people lose their minds. Decisions, decisions...
Last edited by Talon; 1 month ago
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)

I do think the government should mandate all public sector workers get vaccinated or find alternative employment. Similarly they can encourage companies and organisations (including universities) to take similar policies but never force vaccination. Now their is obviously a time issue with many students unlikely to get fully vaccinated by October, to combat this they can simply require a negative lateral flow test done same day to enter universities for semester 1. (and hopefully a big enough inconvenience that they will get jabbed).
wtf that's not okay, so if someone doesn't want to take the vaccine they should lose their jobs. saying take a vaccine or lose your main source of income is force and that's not okay. even if you do have the vaccine, you can still spread it.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The 17 threads on this topic that already exist not enough?

And why hide behind anon?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
Utter nonsense.

Its individual employers making a decision about how they run their company/organisation and protect the current employees & stakeholders.
Individual employers making a decision? And what's the basis of these 'decisions'? ...The government.

Question - do you know the survival rate for the disease? Super significant to this discussion.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
Anonymous exaggeration and hyperbole help no one.
Agreed.
Zuzuuuu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why not??
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Drewski)
And why hide behind anon?
So that I can share my opinions more freely and so that the content of the discussion can be focussed upon as opposed to me.

Feel free to share your thoughts on the topic if you have any
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Question - do you know the survival rate for the disease? Super significant to this discussion.
Yes, and the danger from the disease is much higher than the risk of the vaccine. Logic dictates the vaccine be taken.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Talon)
There really is no reason to be. As of this moment, over 2 billion people have received a covid vaccine of some kind. If it hasn't started an I am Legend style apocalypse by now, it probably won't.
This is not a movie, and things are not that simple. We can only see the effects of this experimental trial vaccine after more time has passed.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Talon)
Yes, and the danger from the disease is much higher than the risk of the vaccine. Logic dictates the vaccine be taken.
What's the survival rate for the disease?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Feel free to share your thoughts on the topic if you have any
The many existing threads on this subject are more than enough.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Individual employers making a decision? And what's the basis of these 'decisions'? ...The government.

The survival rate is not the issue. Its the societal impact when in a short space of time thousands or millions become unwell with significant numbers requiring treatment at capacities vastly higher than what we have resources for. Of course the government has influence as does everybody but it would be employers decisions.

Besides employers are free to make their own reasonable employment requirements. If your unhappy, go start your own company or seek an alternative job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads