Should a mum tell you something makes you look ugly when you're 5?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Basically as a kid my older sister would always wear her hair down and people would always tell her she looks pretty. I wanted to be like her and also wear my hair down instead of my usual ponytail. However my mum would not let me. Like ever. She told me it makes me look ugly and that I can only have it tied back. I remember crying as a 5 year old because me and my sister were playing and then she put her hair down with a headband and I went to do the same but my mum came into the room and stopped me and said I look ugly with my hair down.
Should a mother tell a 5 year old something is ugly on them/ doesn't suit them even if it is the truth? Hurt self-esteem/no confidence or learning to accept the truth from a young age?
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, it's experiences like these which ruin children and shape their future for the worst. Upbringing shapes a large part of you, parents should realise that.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Parents definitely shouldn't do that.

I remember how my mother told me I looked like "a freak" because she didn't like my outfit.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, that's some fairly dreadful parenting right there.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. This kind of thing is the origin point for dodgy ideas that 5 year old will have in 15 years.
Old Skool Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
IMHO, it depends.

If it's something that other kids may tease them about, then I don't see the harm in tactfully telling them (maybe word it a bit better than it makes you look ugly). However, if it's just not to the mothers tastes, then she should just let her kids be kids
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.47%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.85%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.64%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.65%

Watched Threads