The Student Room Group
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website

What is it like studying online at University of Law?

If anyone has either studied a masters online or another online course at the University of Law, could you please tell me what its like? As I'm not sure whether I would be missing out by not studying on campus but the online course is a lot cheaper so not sure! Thanks!
Original post by Itssbeckie
If anyone has either studied a masters online or another online course at the University of Law, could you please tell me what its like? As I'm not sure whether I would be missing out by not studying on campus but the online course is a lot cheaper so not sure! Thanks!

Hi Itssbeckie,

I am currently studying my masters at the ULaw and have previously studying my GDL online as well. I have really enjoyed my experience and don't feel I have missed out much in terms of university life. As an online student you still have access to sign up to clubs and societies, attend campus to use the facilities, e.g. library. There are also the opportunty to form study groups with fellow students studying the course - recommend joing the facebook campus page so as to keep up to date as to what is happening "The University of Law Online Campus - Official Group". There are also lectures that you canattend but it you can't make them they are upload onto Elite to watch later on. Additionally, you will be assigned a personal tutor who you can contact if you need any assistance. Plus, each module you do you have a tutor assisgned to you to ask any questions with regard to that specific module of study.

Hope that helps but feel free to ask any more questions,

Best,
Tam
Online Student Ambassador - ULaw
Mock Trial
The University of Law
Visit website
I am absolutely loving my University of Law LLM online course! I study part-time so that it fits in with my full-time work commitments. I feel like it is going at a really good pace, the lecturers and support staff are always on hand via email if you need any assistance with anything, they are very friendly and easy-going and the content is of a brilliant standard too. I've never looked back! Best of luck :smile:

Hi Itssbeckie

I know another ambassador has already commented but thought I would chip in too because I have studied both online and at a campus before. I'm also about to go back to on-campus learning for my BPC this year (with ULaw).

The reasons that I chose on-campus is to meet people (friendship wise), network (career wise), have set study time at a campus without interruptions (in the quiet spaces) but the things I am not looking forward to are the commute, the expense, and having to stick to someone else's timetable.

The reasons that I chose online learning previously was the flexibility (you literally study at the time of day or night that suits you best- either round your family/friends or work/volunteer commitments or sleep/alertness times), the cost (no travel expenses, no lunches or dinners out because you HAVE to and lower course fees) and the convenience (all course materials are online- loved the read aloud options when I was tired, everything needed in one space) but I didn't like that you didn't meet people face to face as often (although I was part of WhatsApp groups, Facebook groups and we did meet after the occasional exam for a post-exam drink).

The online campus is really good at ULaw and there is lots going on, even as an online student (I think I mentioned those points in another thread reply to you) but hopefully those points above help you see the main differences.

Nic
Student Ambassador at University of Law

Hi @Itssbeckie,

I normally study on campus but having experienced studying half of my undergraduate degree online due to covid-19, I think I can answer part of your question about what you may be 'missing out on' and provide at least some perspective. The dedicated online courses like you are considering are different to our temporary live-streamed ones in that you will have to be a lot more organised and able to manage your time efficiently to allow yourself to complete the required no. of study hours a week. So there's definitely a focus on you being responsible in that aspect, other than that, there's not much difference to be honest as you will still receive the same amount of tutor support and access to the other services available such as employability, wellbeing and study skills etc.

If by missing out you're referring to the social life aspect of university I guess that may be likely but that depends on how you decide you want to interact with other people on your course- if you want to still feel part of the campus you could perhaps set up some a group chat between you and others on your course whether online/campus students. That way you could catch up with everyone and stay in touch with your course mates- it can be useful making friends with people on your course when you want advice or to do group study.

Don't feel that the teaching quality will be compromised just because it's all online- I can confirm that definitely won't happen because even when my learning was suddenly transitioned online the university made sure that we wouldn't miss finishing our modules and assessments- everything still went smoothly. So the dedicated online courses are already well equipped to teach you.

In the end choose what suits your leaning style and needs best, if you want to attend campus go for it! But if you prefer saving money then that is absolutely fine too, please don't feel pressured into doing what everyone else is choosing and decide the best for yourself. Sorry- I know I'm not doing the exact same course and it's quite a long response but I hope that it helped give some insight. :smile:

If there's anything else you'd like to ask please feel free.

Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending