skc2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently an undergraduate studying Spanish and I am soon meant to be starting my year abroad in Spain. My mental health has completed plummeted this past year and my partner is a fundamental form of support for me. I cannot do the year without him and he is also applying for jobs but it is getting more and more unlikely. I completely understand the whole point of the year abroad but I have lost all interest in my degree and at this point I just want to jump into the last year and complete my degree. Has anbody else had similiar experiences or know of anyone who has?
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by skc2000)
I am currently an undergraduate studying Spanish and I am soon meant to be starting my year abroad in Spain. My mental health has completed plummeted this past year and my partner is a fundamental form of support for me. I cannot do the year without him and he is also applying for jobs but it is getting more and more unlikely. I completely understand the whole point of the year abroad but I have lost all interest in my degree and at this point I just want to jump into the last year and complete my degree. Has anbody else had similiar experiences or know of anyone who has?
Speak to your tutor/advisor, you may be able to change your degree title to something similar which doesn't have the year abroad as a requirement but it really depends on each individual university
HousesInCork
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was absolutely petrified before my year abroad and almost didn't go (I was struggling with shaky MH at the time too). The experience was definitely hard on my mental health at points and lonely at times BUT it was a worthwhile & overall enjoyable experience and a challenge I'm glad I tackled. I even came away from it with a couple of lifelong friends.

That being said, it's important to make the best decisions for yourself and your MH should be your priority. As mentioned above, definitely speak to your tutor/advisor about how you're feeling and what support is on offer. Other than the potential to change degree courses/titles, perhaps you could consider an interruption to your studies? Do you think you might be better able to face a year abroad/your studies if you had some time away to focus on yourself and your mental health? This would also give you some space to think on whether you really want to complete your studies or not.

Very best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Last edited by HousesInCork; 1 month ago
cchloepx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most language degrees have a mandatory year abroad. Is it possible for you to take a year out of uni and get some help for your mental health? I know financially that could be quite difficult. But if you’re so dependent on your partner that you can’t go abroad then I think getting help would be best for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed