stephsmhb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I've got a few questions regarding results day and I was wondering if anyone can answer them?

I've firmed Imperial for deferred entry (2022) and need AAA. This is my dream university but i've pretty sure i'm guaranteed either A*AB or A*A*B, with the B in maths. Imperial is a very sciency uni and it's also a very top uni so i was wondering if i'll still be accepted if i get one of those alternative offers that I mentioned, when the B is in Maths. I know it's not guaranteed, just wondering how likely...

I know that i've definitely got the grades for my insurance (AAB) but i just feel like i could do better and so don't really want to go there. If i get the grades for my insurance but not my firm, will i just automatically put on the insurance course without a chance to talk to Imperial and ask them to accept me.

My last question is that since i'm applying for deferred entry, will they even want to speak to me. There will be many people trying to organise their places for this year and i won't be going for over a year so am obviously not a priority.

Thanks in advance for any information given
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stephsmhb)

1) I've firmed Imperial for deferred entry (2022) and need AAA. This is my dream university but i've pretty sure i'm guaranteed either A*AB or A*A*B, with the B in maths. Imperial is a very sciency uni and it's also a very top uni so i was wondering if i'll still be accepted if i get one of those alternative offers that I mentioned, when the B is in Maths. I know it's not guaranteed, just wondering how likely...

2) I know that i've definitely got the grades for my insurance (AAB) but i just feel like i could do better and so don't really want to go there. If i get the grades for my insurance but not my firm, will i just automatically put on the insurance course without a chance to talk to Imperial and ask them to accept me.

3) My last question is that since i'm applying for deferred entry, will they even want to speak to me. There will be many people trying to organise their places for this year and i won't be going for over a year so am obviously not a priority.
1) Simply - no-one knows. It will depend on how many other applicants get their grades, how any spaces there are (if any) and if Imperial will accept any 'near miss' to fill those.

2) Universities get the results about 5 days before applicants so that they can process their decisions before Results Day. When you look on Track on Results Day morning those decisions will already have been made and they are definite - you can't 'negotiate' with a Uni that has already rejected you.

3) See 2. There is no point in phoning a Uni that has already rejected you. The fact that you are applying for a 2022 place will not make any difference.

If you dont want to go to your Insurance, withdraw from that choice now.
That way if you do get a rejection from Imperial you will go straight into Clearing and can pick up a place another Uni.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don’t need to ring your university. Universities will make decisions before the A levels are published.

If they’re able to accept you with lower grades then they will. Applicants are only rejected with lower grades if either:
- there’s not enough space(or staff or room on the timetable) to take everyone with missed grades
OR
- they genuinely don’t think an applicant with those grades can succeed on their course.

No rejection is automatic. Every single application is looked at by human beings to make decisions. If you miss your offer then they’ll look at everything before they decide to accept or reject you.
stephsmhb
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
1) Simply - no-one knows. It will depend on how many other applicants get their grades, how any spaces there are (if any) and if Imperial will accept any 'near miss' to fill those.

2) Universities get the results about 5 days before applicants so that they can process their decisions before Results Day. When you look on Track on Results Day morning those decisions will already have been made and they are definite - you can't 'negotiate' with a Uni that has already rejected you.

3) See 2. There is no point in phoning a Uni that has already rejected you. The fact that you are applying for a 2022 place will not make any difference.

If you dont want to go to your Insurance, withdraw from that choice now.
That way if you do get a rejection from Imperial you will go straight into Clearing and can pick up a place another
oh i see... what about if the status for my firm is undecided and i haven't been rejected or accepted?
thanks again
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oh i see... what about if the status for my firm is undecided and i haven't been rejected or accepted?
This is unusual - but if it happens it usually means that they are still waiting on results from other applicants.
Unis may keep a few 'near miss' in reserve to fill those places if those applicants 'fail'. Again, Unis are not interesting in 'pleading' phone calls - at that stage its purely about filling the course, it is not about listening to individual sob stories.
stephsmhb
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
This is unusual - but if it happens it usually means that they are still waiting on results from other applicants.
Unis may keep a few 'near miss' in reserve to fill those places if those applicants 'fail'. Again, Unis are not interesting in 'pleading' phone calls - at that stage its purely about filling the course, it is not about listening to individual sob stories.
ok
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

I've got a few questions regarding results day and I was wondering if anyone can answer them?

I've firmed Imperial for deferred entry (2022) and need AAA. This is my dream university but i've pretty sure i'm guaranteed either A*AB or A*A*B, with the B in maths. Imperial is a very sciency uni and it's also a very top uni so i was wondering if i'll still be accepted if i get one of those alternative offers that I mentioned, when the B is in Maths. I know it's not guaranteed, just wondering how likely...

I know that i've definitely got the grades for my insurance (AAB) but i just feel like i could do better and so don't really want to go there. If i get the grades for my insurance but not my firm, will i just automatically put on the insurance course without a chance to talk to Imperial and ask them to accept me.

My last question is that since i'm applying for deferred entry, will they even want to speak to me. There will be many people trying to organise their places for this year and i won't be going for over a year so am obviously not a priority.

Thanks in advance for any information given
No one knows if Imperial will reject you but you definitely need to have a plan B in case they do. If you find out on results day that you have been rejected by Imperial, then you will automatically have been placed with your Insurance choice as long as your meet their AAB offer(and there is no point whatsover in phoning Imperial).

If you feel like you could do better than your insurance choice, the best thing to do since you don't want to go to uni until 2022 is withdraw from UCAS and reapply in the next cycle with your achieved grades. Universities in Clearing 2021 will not be interested in talking to students who want a deferred place for 2022 since Clearing is for unis to fill their vacancies for this academic year.

Reapplying in the 2021/22 cycle would enable you to start from scratch with 5 new unis that are a good match with your achieved grades. The Autumn would be a good time to have conversations with AAA unis about the fact that you have A*AB or similar and some may consider that acceptable, but Imperial are notoriously fussy about that sort of thing.
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (17)
15.89%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.48%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.61%
I need help with my personal statement (42)
39.25%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
23.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.87%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.54%

Watched Threads