kfc7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it worth applying to the University of Cambridge with 9988866 @ IGCSE with the 2 6's being in English as a second language and P.E?
Do I make a competitive applicant with those IGCSE's (Assuming my BMAT is good enough)?
veampleo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kfc7)
Is it worth applying to the University of Cambridge with 9988866 @ IGCSE with the 2 6's being in English as a second language and P.E?
Do I make a competitive applicant with those IGCSE's (Assuming my BMAT is good enough)?
congrats on those grades! those definitely give you an advantage but bear in mind you still have to do a pre-uni course since igcses are not the standalone entry requirement. igcses are equivalent to gcses in the UK, which you take at age 16, after those you take two-year courses for example A Levels which are the ones universities actually focus on. it’ll be different pre-uni courses for each country though so here’s a link to the cambridge requirements of prospective international students https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....qualifications

hope this helps, and good luck!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your GCSEs are fine. Note that Cambridge medicine requires 3 STEM subjects at A-level or equivalent (unlike all other UK medical schools which just require 2).
j25_8
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah at iGCSE those grades are the kind of grade Cambridge are looking for. But they’re also looking for something more important which are your A level grades. Im assuming you’ve just finished your iGCSEs and are going to sixth form in september? If you wanna do medicine, you’ll have to pick A level biology, A level chemistry, and another A level of your choice and come out with at least 2 A*s and 1 A in them. It’s pretty vigorous but it’ll be easy for you if you revise as soon as you are able to and communicate w your teachers. Good luck!
teeraruj
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kfc7)
your name makes me hungry lol
kfc7
Rep:
?
(Original post by veampleo)
congrats on those grades! those definitely give you an advantage but bear in mind you still have to do a pre-uni course since igcses are not the standalone entry requirement. igcses are equivalent to gcses in the UK, which you take at age 16, after those you take two-year courses for example A Levels which are the ones universities actually focus on. it’ll be different pre-uni courses for each country though so here’s a link to the cambridge requirements of prospective international students https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....qualifications

hope this helps, and good luck!
I will be starting A2 (Year 13) in a month lol
kfc7
Rep:
?
(Original post by j25_8)
Yeah at iGCSE those grades are the kind of grade Cambridge are looking for. But they’re also looking for something more important which are your A level grades. Im assuming you’ve just finished your iGCSEs and are going to sixth form in september? If you wanna do medicine, you’ll have to pick A level biology, A level chemistry, and another A level of your choice and come out with at least 2 A*s and 1 A in them. It’s pretty vigorous but it’ll be easy for you if you revise as soon as you are able to and communicate w your teachers. Good luck!
Nope I finished year 12 and will be starting year 13 in September, i'm taking bio chem and math. I only got two preds back still waiting for the 3rd one.
kfc7
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Your GCSEs are fine. Note that Cambridge medicine requires 3 STEM subjects at A-level or equivalent (unlike all other UK medical schools which just require 2).
Stupid question, but chem bio and math only is enough right?
kfc7
Rep:
?
(Original post by teeraruj)
your name makes me hungry lol
xD it should that's how good kfc is LOL
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kfc7)
Stupid question, but chem bio and math only is enough right?
Yes that would be fine. In fact for most colleges chem/bio/physics is fine as well (some do specify maths though).
kfc7
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Yes that would be fine. In fact for most colleges chem/bio/physics is fine as well (some do specify maths though).
Alright thanks. I'm just mostly worried mostly about my IGCSE since I only have 7 as I also had to take my country's national curriculum on top of that and unfortunately universities in the UK do not recognize it + typically a cambridge applicant would have on average 10 IGCSE's or even more. So I think that might hold me back; hopefully it doesn't though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.7%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.4%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.93%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.34%

Watched Threads