Not sure why the mark scheme does this (seemingly unnecessary) operation in the TMUA

Watch
szchef
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The question:

Name:  Screenshot_612.png
Views: 13
Size:  33.5 KB

The question itself is not the issue, I completed it correctly up until this point in the mark scheme:
Name:  Screenshot_613.png
Views: 6
Size:  92.4 KB
How am I meant to know to do this? At first I thought I need to rationalise the denominator, but that simply lead me away from the right answer. Instead, they choose to divide the numerator and denominator by root(3) even though that doesn't divide rationally into -6 and produces a surd in the denominator anyway?
user342
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What was your answer? I think it's just a case of 'simplifying' and comparing with the answers available then trying to get yours into one of those forms.
szchef
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by user342)
What was your answer? I think it's just a case of 'simplifying' and comparing with the answers available then trying to get yours into one of those forms.
I got to 2root(3)x/root(3)x-6
Looking back at it now I suppose the only way to get to one of those answers was to get rid of the root(3), so I suppose you're right.
I still think it's a bit arbitrary though, to divide the numerator and the denominator by it for seemingly no reason.
JustSomeGuy:/
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by szchef)
I got to 2root(3)x/root(3)x-6
Looking back at it now I suppose the only way to get to one of those answers was to get rid of the root(3), so I suppose you're right.
I still think it's a bit arbitrary though, to divide the numerator and the denominator by it for seemingly no reason.
It's only because that form looks cleaner. We mathematicians have a habit of wanting the nicest looking solution. Anyway it's good practice for noticing different forms of the same solution for the future.
Last edited by JustSomeGuy:/; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads