dottyg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How useful do you think LinkedIn is as marketing tool for graduates and do employers tend to look on there to increase the pool of potential candidates to select?

I’ve made a LinkedIn profile recently, what’s some good tips and tricks to make it polished and successful?

Thanks in advance
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

Linked in can be hugely useful as you can connect with people and companies to advertise your own interest. I would also take time exploring the site as they offer courses to expand your profile. Further, many advertise jobs on linked in so can be very useful once you know what you wan to do. The main thing I would say that's important is to make sure you are active on the app as is future employers look at your page they can gage what you are like as a person, your interests and your successes.

I hope this has helped,
Loren Snowden
UoP Student Ambassador
dottyg
Rep:
?
Do you think it is a good idea to follow people that you don't know personally. But are in the sector you are interested in? Eg. Managing directors and the sort
Pink Unicorn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dottyg)
Do you think it is a good idea to follow people that you don't know personally. But are in the sector you are interested in? Eg. Managing directors and the sort
Heya,

Most definitely, it could be a way to start chatting to people and networking in the relevant field you are looking into.

dottyg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pink Unicorn)
Heya,

Most definitely, it could be a way to start chatting to people and networking in the relevant field you are looking into.

I did end up following some people on LinkedIn in my chosen field. I like to keep-up-date with industry knowledge and see what the latest developments by seeing articles/interesting things they get up to. I would feel very awkward and under qualified to strike up a conversation with those at the top! haha
jungle_ninja
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LinkedIn has it's pros and cons.
Definitely worth having a profile. Definitely worth NOT treating it like Facebook.
My personal guideline for connecting with people is "would I meet you for a coffee and would we have something interesting to talk about?"
I'm also amazed at some of the comments that people make on a public and professional forum - so standard internet rules apply (be very careful about what you say).

Although I'm certainly nowhere near the top I would say don't be afraid of approaching people on LinkedIn.
As a suggestion, think about where you want to go career-wise, what role you'd like and in what kind of company (or a specific company), then find someone that already does that role and send them a message. Ask a couple of questions (3 tops) related to the role (not how much they get paid, or can they give you a job etc), be respectful of their time and I think you'd be surprised at what you get back.
I am of course assuming that people on LinkedIn are nicer than those on YouTube comments, ymmv...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.43%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (47)
26.86%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.86%

Watched Threads