The Student Room Group

best laptops for uni?

i’m studying psychology in sept and im stuck on which laptop to buy, i’ve heard that i need one that can run spss (software needed for my course)

atm i’m looking at macbook air (it has student pricing and free airpods offer rn) but not sure if it’s worth the money?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you can afford it absolutely go for a MacBook. However, this is for uni. You don't need it to do anything special just word processing, and the internet. I would advise getting something strong and sturdy that would last full 3 years, it's not uncommon for MacBooks to break down after two.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Tinders
If you can afford it absolutely go for a MacBook. However, this is for uni. You don't need it to do anything special just word processing, and the internet. I would advise getting something strong and sturdy that would last full 3 years, it's not uncommon for MacBooks to break down after two.

Really? From what I've seen, Macbooks have lasted people years. That's why I bought one at least, it's been over a year now with my Macbook air 2020 (no M1 chip, rip), and mine works great.

Although, OP, I would say that I don't really think Macbooks are worth the money. This is my first macbook, and I have to say, I do prefer the OS to Windows, I find it easier and sleeker to use, more productive and stuff, but really, all I use this for is browsing the internet, watching lectures, and making typed notes. Admittedly, this is a faster computer than my old 2017 HP Omen, but that's probably because my macbook has an SSD, whilst my other laptop has an HDD.

Maybe look for other, cheaper laptops than a macbook which has an SSD? Performance should be pretty similar anyhow, won't break the bank.

That's not to say that I'm personally unhappy with my macbook, I'm quite happy with it, I just don't think it's worth almost a thousand pounds lol
Reply 3
Original post by econhelp525
Really? From what I've seen, Macbooks have lasted people years. That's why I bought one at least, it's been over a year now with my Macbook air 2020 (no M1 chip, rip), and mine works great.

Although, OP, I would say that I don't really think Macbooks are worth the money. This is my first macbook, and I have to say, I do prefer the OS to Windows, I find it easier and sleeker to use, more productive and stuff, but really, all I use this for is browsing the internet, watching lectures, and making typed notes. Admittedly, this is a faster computer than my old 2017 HP Omen, but that's probably because my macbook has an SSD, whilst my other laptop has an HDD.

Maybe look for other, cheaper laptops than a macbook which has an SSD? Performance should be pretty similar anyhow, won't break the bank.

That's not to say that I'm personally unhappy with my macbook, I'm quite happy with it, I just don't think it's worth almost a thousand pounds lol

It's not uncommon. Not that it necessarily happens to everyone. If you treat them well, they can last the better part of a decade. However, if it's going to be put in a bag all the time and taken to lectures, bouncing around, maybe you drop it a couple of times, spill something on the keyboard etc it won't last very long. Macs are known to be much more fragile than other makes. At least from what I've heard
Original post by Tinders
It's not uncommon. Not that it necessarily happens to everyone. If you treat them well, they can last the better part of a decade. However, if it's going to be put in a bag all the time and taken to lectures, bouncing around, maybe you drop it a couple of times, spill something on the keyboard etc it won't last very long. Macs are known to be much more fragile than other makes. At least from what I've heard

im still using my one from 2013, and its still going strong :yep:
Original post by Anonymous
i’m studying psychology in sept and im stuck on which laptop to buy, i’ve heard that i need one that can run spss (software needed for my course)

atm i’m looking at macbook air (it has student pricing and free airpods offer rn) but not sure if it’s worth the money?

Hi there :smile:

I hope you're well!

A lot of my friends have MacBook's, and they're really happy with them because they're quite loud (for music) and really lightweight - so quite convenient! The price tag was a bit too much for me; I have a HP Pavilion 13 inch and very satisfied with it! The fan does get a bit loud at times, but it's not an inconvenience or anything!

Overall, all laptops do very similar things - but what I'd be looking for in a laptop would be storage, and how light weight it is (because you'll be dragging it around everywhere!).

Hope that's helpful :biggrin:

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there :smile:

I hope you're well!

A lot of my friends have MacBook's, and they're really happy with them because they're quite loud (for music) and really lightweight - so quite convenient! The price tag was a bit too much for me; I have a HP Pavilion 13 inch and very satisfied with it! The fan does get a bit loud at times, but it's not an inconvenience or anything!

Overall, all laptops do very similar things - but what I'd be looking for in a laptop would be storage, and how light weight it is (because you'll be dragging it around everywhere!).

Hope that's helpful :biggrin:

Ana

Can’t forget battery life
Original post by HaydenFordz
Can’t forget battery life

Oh yes - that completely slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me! I always take my charging cable with me (just in case), but I understand that sometimes University buildings don't offer many charging sockets - so battery life is also something important to think about :biggrin:

Ana
(edited 2 years ago)
3 Kids with 3 Mac's and not a single problem. The first was bought 7 years ago and has gone through medical school, and the others were used for la degrees. I have never had or heard of others experiencing problems, unless of course you spill drinks on them or drop them,which would be the same with any laptop. I've had to change my Sony and then HP while the kids have still got the same Mac's!
Reply 9
thank you everyone! decided to buy the macbook air :smile:
I’d go for a MacBook if you can afford it.
I nearly did and didn’t because I thought I’d have to buy Word and PowerPoint and everything but my uni gave them to us for free.
Idk I just would have rather have gone with the Mac because I like apple products because they are easy to use.
thank you everyone! decided to buy the macbook air :smile:

Great choice! What colour are you going for? I've got it in gold. :smile:
Original post by econhelp525
Great choice! What colour are you going for? I've got it in gold. :smile:

i went for space grey :smile:

I swear they don’t give free AirPods this year. Apple have said the offer was last year so they don’t do it anymore. If they do please send me a link because I am thinking of getting a MacBook Pro
Original post by han1all
I swear they don’t give free AirPods this year. Apple have said the offer was last year so they don’t do it anymore. If they do please send me a link because I am thinking of getting a MacBook Pro

They still do. Ref: UniDays
Original post by han1all

they do, i’ve ordered my macbook air and it’s coming with free airpods - if you go unidays and search up apple it will come up with the deal and take you straight through to the education priced stuff and once you add the macbook to your basket and checkout it will go through to a page where you can select the airpods etc :smile:
they do, i’ve ordered my macbook air and it’s coming with free airpods - if you go unidays and search up apple it will come up with the deal and take you straight through to the education priced stuff and once you add the macbook to your basket and checkout it will go through to a page where you can select the airpods etc :smile:

Thank you, this is word cuz I messaged apple and they said they don’t do it. Anyways I thinking of getting one in September or is the offer too late
i would go for either HP or Acer, my school has lent me an HP and works fine (apart from the fact that lots of stuff is restricted but if you buy one for urself it won't be!
Original post by han1all
Thank you, this is word cuz I messaged apple and they said they don’t do it. Anyways I thinking of getting one in September or is the offer too late

Just seen the offer I’m so happy
If you're going to go with the macbook getting it via Apple's education store is a good shout so you get some discount :smile:
If you change your mind and opt for a Windows laptop I think you'll probably be looking at at least an i5 processor, 8gb ram machine + at least 256gb
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest