The Student Room Group

Why are short women and tall men so picky in the dating scene?

Both groups of short women and tall men have the weirdest height preferences even from what i've seen. Short women usually below like 5'4 sometimes have a minimum height requirement of at least like 5'10, in a lot of cases even minimum 6 feet. If a guy is taller than them but they aren't "average or above" they are "too short." Reverse this with tall men. I've seen tall men say that women that are 5'6 and up are "too tall" because they are not "short" and they only like "short" women so they only like a certain range that is "short" to them even though a 5'8 woman is 8 inches shorter than a 6'4 man she is not "short" because she is considered a tall woman.

I've even seen tall guys literally state that they only like women under 5'4 and they actively reject women that are 5'4+ because they are literally not short by the countries standards. Oftentimes both requirements of these groups meet and then they usually gloat how much better they are than other groups respectively. Other people like short guys, average girls, tall girls and average guys aren't usually that strict about height, its usually the short women and tall guys tbh. You would think as a woman and man on the extreme ends of the height spectrum you would be more lenient, but nope.

As a short guy I can assure you that about 90 - 95% of short women aren't satisifed with short men. The majority of tall guys aren't satisfied with tall women either and they usually can admit to that. Both these groups like to use each other as trophies and are like "Hey look what kind of person I got to **** and date! I love *insert generic short woman or tall guy gloating here*"
IDK
With women yes, lots of really short women insist on unnecessarily tall guys. More than just their height + heels. It seems to be a cultural thing. Heightism wasn't nearly as extreme 20 years ago. Men I wouldn't say are as strict. As a tall-ish man (6'1) I don't really care about height. None of my friends (all taller than me) have any strict height policies either.
Honestly being 5 foot 1, anyone over 6ft 2 is intimidating. I cannot help it, they are scary. If I have to tilt my head up too many degrees I have some anxiety and i feel like that's just nature. Tall people are scary.

But if i had to make a guess, shorter girls probably make guys feel more masculine as opposed to taller girls and taller guys probably make a girl feel more protected or the height difference is 'cute'.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mspaghetti
Honestly being 5 foot 1, anyone over 6ft 2 is intimidating. I cannot help it, they are scary. If I have to tilt my head up too many degrees I have some anxiety and i feel like that's just nature. Tall people are scary.

But if i had to make a guess, shorter girls probably make guys feel more masculine as opposed to taller girls and taller guys probably make a girl feel more protected or the height difference is 'cute'.

If a guy needs a woman 10+ inches more than him to feel "masculine" then he has a huge insecurity problem. A real man doesn't give a ****. These guys would act like a little ***** if a woman is close to their height because their masculinity is "threatened." As a 5'4 I could give a rat's ass about how much taller a woman is than me. Not once has my masculinity threatened by a woman taller than me, in fact, its actually quite hot. I'm no the only short guy. Short guys these days act like tall men, tall men these days act like short men.
I swear ive seen at least 4 of these threads
Original post by ammarqureshi55
If a guy needs a woman 10+ inches more than him to feel "masculine" then he has a huge insecurity problem. A real man doesn't give a ****. These guys would act like a little ***** if a woman is close to their height because their masculinity is "threatened." As a 5'4 I could give a rat's ass about how much taller a woman is than me. Not once has my masculinity threatened by a woman taller than me, in fact, its actually quite hot. I'm no the only short guy. Short guys these days act like tall men, tall men these days act like short men.

Well i'm not a guy so I cant give a solid opinion on why that would bring insecurity but i'd say its just one of those things like how guys would probably be uncomfortable if their wife earned more money than them. I guess that's less attractive or something
Original post by mspaghetti
Well i'm not a guy so I cant give a solid opinion on why that would bring insecurity but i'd say its just one of those things like how guys would probably be uncomfortable if their wife earned more money than them. I guess that's less attractive or something

You brought it up. I've seen short guys like myself with much taller women and they have real balls and dont give a ****. A real man is like that. I've seen tall men that are the opposite and if they can't accept a woman a few inches shorter than them then they're pussies.
Original post by ammarqureshi55
You brought it up. I've seen short guys like myself with much taller women and they have real balls and dont give a ****. A real man is like that. I've seen tall men that are the opposite and if they can't accept a woman a few inches shorter than them then they're pussies.

I'm not saying that short guys have never managed to have a relationship with taller women, not everyone is the same. I'm just guessing why some guys may have a problem with it...because I'm not a guy lol.

Quick Reply

Latest